Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Myusername and numerology thread (out of market action)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Nov 28:

"here's the last 3 months of closes, or 63 sessions:

0: 5
1: 7
2: 7
3: 4
4: 4
5: 16
6: 8
7: 5
8: 3
9: 5"

that's called DATA.

Mod: Do you (all y'all) remember that our beloved head moderator and tyrant Lord Vetinari declared numerology off-topic? If not, let me remind you, this stuff about magic numbers stops now. --ggr.
FYI... there is a difference between numerology and statistics.

• Funny
Reactions: dc_h
you're the one that believes in a person that is going to save the planet with EVs by revolutionizing 10 industries right after they make a 15 year old profitless company grow beyond the size of 1/100th of any major auto manufacturer. sure you wanna talk about hokey religions?

I have always been upfront that I believe any investment in TSLA is gambling on the intelligence, wisdom, and sweat of ambitious men.

Gambling and religion are different things. The latter often frowns on the former, except perhaps in moderation for charitable causes.

I have done a very thorough analysis of the TSLA stock price movements over the past couple of years. And here is the SHOCKING observation I made:

TSLA closing price has been within $5 of $xx5.55 EVERY SINGLE TRADING DAY!!! No exceptions!
Therefore I declare that 5 is the real magic number.
Furthermore, the stock also opens and trades all day within this magic band!
I can predict with 100% certainty, this pattern will continue all year too.

While I appreciate the very difficult task that is moderating and the hard work that goes into it, I object very strongly against using the moderator priviliges to make an argument on the content. Even if you want to make a factual correction, you should do it as any other poster on this board would. Through a regular reply and ABSOLUTELY not by modifying the original post (or headlining your reply with 'moderator comment' which is also bad but less bad). Please reserve those privileges when dealing with personal attacks, off topic posts and deliberate trolling, not when discussing content that is perfectly acceptable according to the rules.

On to the substance, and this makes it even more painful : you are also wrong. The electrek article is from early 2017 but the reddit reference is from 11 hours ago and links to recently released data discussing performance up to December 2017.

I want to re-iterate my very strong objections against you using moderator privileges to make a point in the discussion. That your interjection as a moderator had factual errors too makes it even worse. Can we have an official reply from the moderators what their policy is going forward on modifying user posts on the sole basis that moderators feel they must warn against the content?
I sit here and watch this conversation unfold about FSD and I think back to a day not too long ago, one year, maybe a little longer, where I spent a good number of posts discussing rationally against the irrational on the "future" Tesla was supposed to bring with the M3. Now you have a car, with no dashboard, and no FSD. And now there's this discussion occurring. You've got the hardliners declaring "disagree". You've got the mod slashing up the topic.

I wonder how a board full of such intelligent people wind up getting duped into believing this stuff. The kicker for you guys is going to be when you realize that Tesla, as an auto company, in a world already filled with auto companies, does not justify this share price.

"Oh... that dang myusername... doing his myusername stuff again" -- seriously, I tell you something a year or more in advance. You reject it. And then it plays out just like that. Over and over. And they you guys click your funny button to reassure yourselves. It's really quite nuts.

Last edited:
I think the short covering occurred when shares were called back a few days ago. Short percentage of trading has been around 40%, down from about 60%, since then. I'm assuming shorts had to cover to return the shares, but I don't short and don't know for sure what the process of returning shorted shares involves. I believe after shorts returned the shares a few days ago, the rise has been mostly longs buying. I think if we continue to go higher over the next week, once shorts can access the shares again, they will be eager to do so. From their perspective, if TSLA is an attractive stock to short at $340, it must be even better to short at $360+. It will be interesting to see what happens.
I think that short interest deltas that we see every two weeks do not represent enough volume in order to justify ANY claims you guys make regarding shorts affecting this stock. this stock went from $306 to $346 (that's not numerology... that's fact)... on the result of completely negative news while going into an expected bad ER. that can not be explained with a 200k net short interest delta.

this isn't numerology either... you guys are simply wearing horse blinders if you don't see that this just shot to $358... bounced off... and dropped back to $356 on low volume. it literally went from $346 yesterday to $356. and you sit around and talk about short interest all day every day.

see those two lines? those are $346 and $356... this is the market action thread and this will be deleted within minutes. why? this is literally the Market Action for this stock on a daily basis for consecutive quarters:

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 8.14.42 AM.png

Moderator note (ggr with apprentice tyrant hat on). Just to enlighten all the readers, particularly @myusername. There is now a separate thread
Myusername and numerology thread (out of market action)
that anyone with sufficient interest can read and reply and discuss in. Any post from any member that talks about the magic number 6 will be moved there (except this one :) ). Any post from the named member that is snarky, content free, or contains incorrect information will appear there. If the post meets my definition of rationality it will be allowed to stay where the discussion is. Anything downright insulting to another member will, as usual, go to snippiness, be deleted, or result in harsher action, depending. So will anything similar anywhere that is aimed at @myusername... still a member after all. It may change at some indefinite future time. I/we will not be discussing this policy further in this forum.

Hey, I want my own thread too, we can call it “WTF has he posted now?”

These are actually interesting points, so here are my thoughts:

I sit here and watch this conversation unfold about FSD and I think back to a day not too long ago, one year, maybe a little longer, where I spent a good number of posts discussing rationally against the irrational on the "future" Tesla was supposed to bring with the M3. Now you have a car, with no dashboard, and no FSD. And now there's this discussion occurring. You've got the hardliners declaring "disagree".

FSD. From the beginning, I was skeptical of Tesla's ability to meet its FSD deadlines with Autopilot 2.0+ (nVidia platform) hardware. From my experience in software development, I am all too aware that complicated software projects can easily go awry, and that deadlines are often problematic. We see this in software projects outside of Tesla, and a glaring example is Apple's macOS 10.13.x "High Sierra", which was riddled with bugs and embarrassing security flaws upon release (one example: Major macOS High Sierra Bug Allows Full Admin Access Without Password - How to Fix [Updated]). Apple's insistence on yearly major releases of macOS has come at a severe cost.

Lack of FSD actually doesn't matter in the next few years IMO, because Model 3 is really fun to drive. What is the point of buying a sport sedan if not to drive it? And Model 3 gets the stamp of approval from a diehard BMW driver who uses the legendary E46 M3 has his standard: Professional Driver On A Closed Course | BMW Car Club of America

This is what he concluded: "This car is a game-changer; it will be relatively attainable compared to its predecessors, and it was even able to satisfy the driving bias of an old-school BMW-lover like me. I really didn’t want to like it, but I found little to complain about. I couldn’t help contemplating that something greater was occurring in that fading sunlight. It was an intersection of the past and the future, one where an old-school driving enthusiast like me could experience what is clearly the future—and not have to relinquish the experience that I hold dear"

Also, while Autopilot 2.0 isn't evolving as quickly as many would like, it is definitely improving as time goes by.

Bottom line: Model 3, as a product, is not a problem.

I wonder how a board full of such intelligent people wind up getting duped into believing this stuff. The kicker for you guys is going to be when you realize that Tesla, as an auto company, in a world already filled with auto companies, does not justify this share price.

"Oh... that dang myusername... doing his myusername stuff again" -- seriously, I tell you something a year or more in advance. You reject it. And then it plays out just like that. Over and over. And they you guys click your funny button to reassure yourselves. It's really quite nuts.

That is the conventional wisdom, and a common opinion on Reddit investment subs.

999 out of 1000 times, the conventional wisdom is probably correct, but sometimes, inexplicably, the conventional wisdom turns out to be entirely wrong. In 2006, the conventional wisdom was that the world was already filled with cell phone companies (Nokia, Motorola, LG, Samsung, etc.), and that the cell phone business was extraordinarily competitive with wafer-thin margins. Apple should never have succeeded. Android should have demolished them.

That didn't happen.

This isn't to say that Tesla's success is guaranteed, because it isn't.

However, to take for granted that Tesla's long term market cap won't grow because other established auto companies exist, is dangerous overconfidence. Never assume that people who like to break rules, will be restrained by any rules. Hillary Clinton found that out the hard way.

yeah, they'll look like 1/20th of an actual car company that TSLA is currently valued as.

And they may be growing at a much faster rate while consuming high margin market share. Growth companies are not valued just by x, but by dx/dt.

I also remind you that Tesla's product portfolio includes Stationary Storage and solar products.

You've got the mod slashing up the topic.

Frankly, if I started posing predictions based on I Ching, I think my posts would be moved too.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
On the contrary, relaxed Elon has meant horrible quarterly reports. But historically, horrible quarterlies have also meant Tesla stock rallying. I expect roughly the same. If so pretty numbers but a resilient stock price.
what constitutes a horrible or not quarterly? respectively, one where they report bad numbers but don't raise any additional cash or one where they report bad numbers and raise additional cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.