Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nagshead charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A better location for a super charger on the Outer Banks would be the visitors center just as you come on to rte 12 bypass after crossing Wrightsville bridge.

The best location would be the Southern Shores Crossing shopping center, or the Southern Shores Food Lion shopping center; not much to do on the other side of the bridge. I guess the Indian restaurant there is okay and there are a couple of small stores, but they should move it up to Grandy or down to Southern Shores to give people the most options for shopping while charging.

Reactions: dsnows and swengl
My only concern on the island was/is that should you have to get off in a hurry a super charger may not help you a lot.
I have been after real estate agents to encourage home owners to have a 14/50 outlet installed on all there rental properties . At least you can charge overnight and have a full battery in the morning. On my last trip down I was getting 4 miles per hour charging at the house. The only advantage being in Frisco is that the INN on Pamlico Sound has a destination charger.

Reactions: boaterva
My only concern on the island was/is that should you have to get off in a hurry a super charger may not help you a lot.
I have been after real estate agents to encourage home owners to have a 14/50 outlet installed on all there rental properties . At least you can charge overnight and have a full battery in the morning. On my last trip down I was getting 4 miles per hour charging at the house. The only advantage being in Frisco is that the INN on Pamlico Sound has a destination charger.
This... the whole 'get a rental house with a dryer on the first floor, move the dryer (plug is at floor level (why?), jump over the washer to get in back, plug in extension cord, run it out through door (what to do about leaving door open while charging?!)...' is a major hassle.

If they would just have a 14-50 added, I would be all over that house, never mind 'install a charger (really EVSE)'. We just want a power connection!

Even HPWCs at places like the Inn aren't that great, since, unless you stay there all night, it's not that much of a charge. You really need 30 Amps (or more) on site at your long term location.

@boaterva, The last couple of places we staid at had the washer/dryer on the second floor. To top that off we would have to leave the front door open all day and night. Every house on the Island that we ever staid at has air conditioning units at the ground level with a breaker box next to them. To run a conduit the 50 feet to the parking pad would cost what $150.00 maybe $200.00.

Until the home owner gets the word from the real estate agent that there is a willing and waiting pool of electric car owners willing to pay $30.00 or $40.00 extra per week not much will happen. Maybe 10 or 12 Tesla owners willing to do an island run from the Curituck
light house in the north to Okaracoke in the south. We could charge at a couple of the Marinas along the way and do a little charge while we stop for lunch.

That could be a fun trip especially if Tesla puts in a SC in Nageshead or Point Harbor.

Reactions: boaterva
@boaterva, The last couple of places we staid at had the washer/dryer on the second floor. To top that off we would have to leave the front door open all day and night. Every house on the Island that we ever staid at has air conditioning units at the ground level with a breaker box next to them. To run a conduit the 50 feet to the parking pad would cost what $150.00 maybe $200.00.

Until the home owner gets the word from the real estate agent that there is a willing and waiting pool of electric car owners willing to pay $30.00 or $40.00 extra per week not much will happen. Maybe 10 or 12 Tesla owners willing to do an island run from the Curituck
light house in the north to Okaracoke in the south. We could charge at a couple of the Marinas along the way and do a little charge while we stop for lunch.

That could be a fun trip especially if Tesla puts in a SC in Nageshead or Point Harbor.

Using an electrician, it's be $500+ to add a circuit, maybe as much as $1000 depending on the distance needed.

Homeowners like myself need offseason rentals to justify it - we really don't worry too much about renting our homes during the high season, as they generally book solid each year. You'd have to add a couple hundred to the weekly rate to make the cost worth it, problem is, all the non-electric car owners wouldn't want to pay that, so unless we add an electric car surcharge, I don't see charging coming to many rental homes unless they are already Tesla owners, or suddenly get a lot of offseason requests from Tesla owners.

I'll see how my Colington house does before I add a circuit to my other two rentals.

Hm..... $200 a week for everyone to pay for a one time 14-50 install?

I don't mind paying some for the use of the kWh, but that seems a bit much unless I'm missing something.

And, yep, the house we used the last two years had the Dryer on the second floor. Even larger PITA there! Don't really have a good answer.

Hm..... $200 a week for everyone to pay for a one time 14-50 install?

I don't mind paying some for the use of the kWh, but that seems a bit much unless I'm missing something.

And, yep, the house we used the last two years had the Dryer on the second floor. Even larger PITA there! Don't really have a good answer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you'd have to incentivize owners to go through the hassle of adding a circuit and offering the extra electricity. Adding a hot tub to a home should bring more income than it costs for example.

The main problem is that they couldn't really charge anything extra per week because the majority of renters will still be driving ICE cars. So with no extra income to incentivize adding the circuit you'd have to have Tesla owners taking unused weeks in the offseason to make it worth doing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you'd have to incentivize owners to go through the hassle of adding a circuit and offering the extra electricity. Adding a hot tub to a home should bring more income than it costs for example.

The main problem is that they couldn't really charge anything extra per week because the majority of renters will still be driving ICE cars. So with no extra income to incentivize adding the circuit you'd have to have Tesla owners taking unused weeks in the offseason to make it worth doing.
Right, I can definitely see those that need access to the 'extra' power paying something. $40 a week? A 14-30 outside would be perfect and usually the same as the dryer (which most people never use). I can count on one finger how many times we've done laundry. But that's us... (I know it's not code to share circuits...).

Anyway, at some point, these will need to be installed or SuC's will be on OBX somewhere (both parts, with the infrastructure to support them!).

Could be a good idea, but some care would be needed as to 'what' it is. Power socket only? HPWC? 1772?

They could simply add a description saying what type of charging they offer, if anyone clicked the box to say they offered charging, it wouldn't be much more for them to add a small snippet saying the type of charging they offer or provide a link to plugshare.

Also, this is kinda a mute point once an SC goes at the bridge. When you arrive you can get enough juice to drive around for the week + just plugging into a regular 15 amp outlet that you find outside to trickle charge. So really, this is a mute point once the SC goes in. You'd have the SC on one end and the Tanger outlet charger on the other if you ever need a faster charge. But between arriving with a SC and trickle charging at the house when the car isn't being used, I can't see this being an issue going forward.

Let's also not forget those juicy HPWC that @EVTECH got put in at some yummy restaurants. I'm betting they will be at least 40amp service?

So really, the need for rental charging I think is a nice to have, but by far not a deal breaker or a must have.

Reactions: jthompson
They could simply add a description saying what type of charging they offer, if anyone clicked the box to say they offered charging, it wouldn't be much more for them to add a small snippet saying the type of charging they offer or provide a link to plugshare.
Right, as long as the details are there. I was going to mention Plugshare, but many don't want to list private chargers there. And I agree with the other point. If we do get 'filled' before coming 'on board', a 12 Amp feed (or so) may be enough.

High season will still be fun, so, we'll still stay in September! :D

Reactions: BigD0g
Right, I can definitely see those that need access to the 'extra' power paying something. $40 a week? A 14-30 outside would be perfect and usually the same as the dryer (which most people never use). I can count on one finger how many times we've done laundry. But that's us... (I know it's not code to share circuits...).

Anyway, at some point, these will need to be installed or SuC's will be on OBX somewhere (both parts, with the infrastructure to support them!).

$40 a week is more than fair, but it's not enough to incentivise owners to add them. You might get one Tesla booking a summer if you're lucky, and it'd take a long while to pay back the cost of install.

I'm betting the Super Charger in Point Harbor will make it a moot point - as a Tesla and EV enthusiast, I'm all for adding chargers at homes, but when I put my Realtor hat on... it'd be hard to make a case for it over spending the money on updating the house or adding other more broadly sought amenities if the owner is primarily concerned with renting the big ticket in season weeks. Many don't want offseason rentals because the lower income is not always worth the extra wear and tear.

However, if a homeowner does wants offseason rentals, then you do need to stand out - and an EV charger is one way to do that. I make my houses super dog friendly with fenced yards and whatnot, and that's brought me a ton of offseason bookings. If homes start booking offseason nights to Tesla owners and the word gets around, you'll see more places adopt them.

Perhaps when the hordes of Model 3s descend upon us the calculus will change.

$40 a week is more than fair, but it's not enough to incentivise owners to add them. You might get one Tesla booking a summer if you're lucky, and it'd take a long while to pay back the cost of install.

I'm betting the Super Charger in Point Harbor will make it a moot point - as a Tesla and EV enthusiast, I'm all for adding chargers at homes, but when I put my Realtor hat on... it'd be hard to make a case for it over spending the money on updating the house or adding other more broadly sought amenities if the owner is primarily concerned with renting the big ticket in season weeks. Many don't want offseason rentals because the lower income is not always worth the extra wear and tear.

However, if a homeowner does wants offseason rentals, then you do need to stand out - and an EV charger is one way to do that. I make my houses super dog friendly with fenced yards and whatnot, and that's brought me a ton of offseason bookings. If homes start booking offseason nights to Tesla owners and the word gets around, you'll see more places adopt them.

Perhaps when the hordes of Model 3s descend upon us the calculus will change.
And this was more what I was talking about, the Model 3 mob. It's always a different case for the few S/X people than when the cars are more mainstream. We can figure anything (use Dryer outlet? Stuff towels in door? check!)... But I think the Model 3 users will want a 'normal socket' or some other option nearby.

And most homes (all?) have a 120V/15 or 20 Amp socket in the carport (whatever you call what OBX homes have).

And as we've said, if you are full-ish from the SuC's at the 'border', you can keep topped up. May all be a moot point. Gonna be interesting!

Reactions: OBX John
Man if an electrician told me that he wanted $1000.00 to run a 50 amp line 50 feet under my vacation house i would say there is a guy looking for work because I surely would not give him any. The labor rate being what it is on the island ( the southern end ) $500.00 my be too much. Again, given the fact that once your at the house you don't do a lot of driving and you are definitely not driving a 100 miles a day.

Would you even know if the owner increased the price by $10.00 per week and would that make or break the deal. I can count on one hand the number of time we use the hot tub, but it's part of the cost of rent. The decision making is what does the property offer and am I will to pay the rent. A fish cleaning table doesn't do anything for me, it may for others, but, put in a 220 line with a nema 14/50 outlet and that house will be on my short list.

It all comes down to this simple question, your looking to rent one of two vacation houses, House #1 advertises that it has a 220volt 50 amp line to charge your electric car, house #2 the other rental does not mention anything. They are side by side for the same price. I'm going with house #1.

Reactions: EVTECH and boaterva
Man if an electrician told me that he wanted $1000.00 to run a 50 amp line 50 feet under my vacation house i would say there is a guy looking for work because I surely would not give him any. The labor rate being what it is on the island ( the southern end ) $500.00 my be too much. Again, given the fact that once your at the house you don't do a lot of driving and you are definitely not driving a 100 miles a day.

Would you even know if the owner increased the price by $10.00 per week and would that make or break the deal. I can count on one hand the number of time we use the hot tub, but it's part of the cost of rent. The decision making is what does the property offer and am I will to pay the rent. A fish cleaning table doesn't do anything for me, it may for others, but, put in a 220 line with a nema 14/50 outlet and that house will be on my short list.

It all comes down to this simple question, your looking to rent one of two vacation houses, House #1 advertises that it has a 220volt 50 amp line to charge your electric car, house #2 the other rental does not mention anything. They are side by side for the same price. I'm going with house #1.

Good electricians make about $100 an hour here. I'm a licensed General Contractor, and I'd be shocked ;) if you could get a 50 ft run of 50 amp for anything less than $500.

The point I'm trying to make is there are not enough Tesla owners to make a dent in anyone's inseason income - those weeks always book solid anyway. If you book offseason, you may stand a chance of being catered to with an outlet.