Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nagshead charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are rental properties eligible for the destination charger program? If so, I believe Tesla picks up much of the cost of install. The B&Bs I've stayed at with destination chargers said Tesla payed for all equipment and installation. Pretty sweet deal if it is still in effect.
This is an interesting concept. You would say that there isn't enough traffic to warrant them paying for it. But I bet many of the B&B's don't get that much either. One we stayed at had the HPWC and 1772 (Clipper?) turned off and you had to request it to be turned on. I didn't ask when was the last time they had someone use it; I'll do that next summer when we go back there with a Tesla.

As for install costs for a 14-50, for example, the house we are in this week in Frisco (NC) has power come from the pole underground to the house, so it comes to the corner of the house away from the driveway and Air Conditioning. It ends up in a bedroom on the middle floor (breaker panel behind a door). Running a line from the driveway outside to it would take a bit of doing, not like most residential homes where the panel is in the garage where you want the 14-50.

I find it very easy to simply charge at a normal wall outlet at either 12 or 16 amps.

When you are staying at a place for a week it tops up after a few days and is plenty to get around. I never need to seek out a house charger or 14-50. I just carry the 5-15 and 5-20 adapters (and all the other adapters but rarely find a 14-50 to 14-30 etc) and count on an external 110 outlet or an outlet in the beach closet. Never even needed to use the HD extension cord I carry around just in case.

That is a huge benefit of EVs -- I can charge most places where the car will be parked overnight. Lots of hotels have 110 (often 5-20s) outside on their exterior walls or on the base of their lampposts.

• Informative
Reactions: dsnows and CatB
Good point. At a rental house you have the advantage of having all night and usually the day unless you are going somewhere local. At a B&B the HPWC is because you may have to share it with others and you want to be charged (to some level) in a few hours.

We usually most days only leave the house in the car for shopping or a meal out, so the car could be plugged in 20 hours a day.

Are rental properties eligible for the destination charger program? If so, I believe Tesla picks up much of the cost of install. The B&Bs I've stayed at with destination chargers said Tesla payed for all equipment and installation. Pretty sweet deal if it is still in effect.

Not anymore. They tried it for a short period but rental properties are no longer eligible.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g and DFibRL8R
We had our monthly Surfrider meeting at the Outer Banks Brewing Station last night, and I got to sip on beer while my car sipped on some free electrons! My wife is excited about it as she gets range anxiety in the 75, so I'm betting she eats a lot more lunches there.

Many thanks to EVTECH and the owners of the Brew Station for putting in two 40amp Tesla chargers plus what looked like another generic charger. One was Iced though; it's going to be tough to keep those spaces free - hopefully people will learn!

If it's by this time next year the Destination Charging will be crucial during the spring/summer. They need to get it done before tourist season to make it effective.

Good point, I should change that statement to say Spring of next year, but who knows. I'm thinking you might have also had a part in the 100 destination chargers for Norfolk perhaps? :)

I wish I could spend more time there. I am working on convincing the destination charging team to hire me as a mobile guy but there is no such position. It bugs me to no end there is almost 0 outreach on the team. I generate more leads than anyone in the country because nobody is out there pushing the program. :-/

• Love
Reactions: swengl and BigD0g
I wish I could spend more time there. I am working on convincing the destination charging team to hire me as a mobile guy but there is no such position. It bugs me to no end there is almost 0 outreach on the team. I generate more leads than anyone in the country because nobody is out there pushing the program. :-/

We'll frankly, your also the best ranger... Perhaps, the cloning in Europe will start bearing fruiit so we can fix the too few evtech's ;)

Reactions: EVTECH
If you need any outside references to back that up, let me know!

Reactions: EVTECH
Yes most houses have 240 outlet nut will the cord reach the outlet most wont
Turns out the one we’re using last year and next year in Frisco has the dryer on the ground floor next to the driveway. Still the whole ‘move it to plug it in, run the cable outside, etc.’ may be a lot of trouble. The 15/12 Amp in the driveway may be sufficient as we discussed above and easier! :)

Love the new destination chargers at the Brewing Station. Any idea where the new SC before the bridge is going to go? There are no obvious locations visible from the main road. Maybe one of the gas stations along the way? There are good shopping center locations east of the bridge, but that doesn’t look like the plan.