Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nagshead charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the new destination chargers at the Brewing Station. Any idea where the new SC before the bridge is going to go? There are no obvious locations visible from the main road. Maybe one of the gas stations along the way? There are good shopping center locations east of the bridge, but that doesn’t look like the plan.
Does anyone now how 'large' Point Harbor is? Obviously now, the pin is on the name, as it virtually always is, and I was wondering how far away from the causeway it could be and still be in Point Harbor?

Last we were there (September) we looked for siting, also, and couldn't see any good commercial properties to tie into until a lot further northwest up 158.

upload_2018-4-7_11-29-11.png

Does anyone now how 'large' Point Harbor is? Obviously now, the pin is on the name, as it virtually always is, and I was wondering how far away from the causeway it could be and still be in Point Harbor?

Last we were there (September) we looked for siting, also, and couldn't see any good commercial properties to tie into until a lot further northwest up 158.

View attachment 292440

According to Wikipedia:

"Point Harbor, North Carolina is an unincorporated community located in Currituck County, North Carolina. The community is unincorporated but has an estimated permanent population of about 100.

Not very big, and probably doesn't include a very large geographic area.

According to Wikipedia:

"Point Harbor, North Carolina is an unincorporated community located in Currituck County, North Carolina. The community is unincorporated but has an estimated permanent population of about 100.

Not very big, and probably doesn't include a very large geographic area.
Thanks, which makes you wonder where the SuC will be sited! It might not end up in Point Harbor proper, but in the closest commercial area, which I don't recall how far north you have to go to reach! We'll have to do some scouting and be on permit watch!

Anyone familiar with the process in NC and/or Currituck?

Thanks, which makes you wonder where the SuC will be sited! It might not end up in Point Harbor proper, but in the closest commercial area, which I don't recall how far north you have to go to reach! We'll have to do some scouting and be on permit watch!

Anyone familiar with the process in NC and/or Currituck?

There is very little near the bridge on the north/west side. There is a cluster of 7-11, fast food and a food lion grocery about 15 miles away, but don’t think that would be considered Point Harbour. Just east of the bridge there are two good options. Walmart/McDonalds/Harris teeter on one side; Food lion/Starbucks/Bagel shop/pizzeria across the street. Maybe it will end up there.

Just did the trip from DC to Avon NC in my s60. Definitely bring an extension cord to charge if you are staying in a rental house My house had a plug at street level but the plug wasn't working due to flooding last year. Since I had an extension cord I could use the outdoor plug one level up. Also Interestingly I got unprecedented efficiency driving from VA Beach to Avon (199 kwh) as the flat roads, low speed limit, and tail wind helped lots.

I think that two SC should be installed, one Point Hardor or just East of that. The other could be at the Tangers outlets just before the Manteo causeway. I just can't see Tesla putting in a SC on OBX. Right now there is one destination charger in Frisco at the Inn on Pamlico Sound. The other is at a B&B in Manteo.

I have tried getting the real estate companies to get home owners to instal 220 line under the car ports. No luck to date, I'll call real estate agents up and ask if any of the properties have a 220 line that I can access because of my S60. The response is the same
all the time "I'll check" and you know what the answer is.

Do you think that we could get a dozen or two owners to make the trip to the light house and get some press coverage to draw
attention to the need for more chargers even if they are only destination chargers.

I think that two SC should be installed, one Point Hardor or just East of that. The other could be at the Tangers outlets just before the Manteo causeway. I just can't see Tesla putting in a SC on OBX. Right now there is one destination charger in Frisco at the Inn on Pamlico Sound. The other is at a B&B in Manteo.

I have tried getting the real estate companies to get home owners to instal 220 line under the car ports. No luck to date, I'll call real estate agents up and ask if any of the properties have a 220 line that I can access because of my S60. The response is the same
all the time "I'll check" and you know what the answer is.

Do you think that we could get a dozen or two owners to make the trip to the light house and get some press coverage to draw
attention to the need for more chargers even if they are only destination chargers.

The economics just are not there for rental houses to install charging.

However, things are getting better - I worked with a local magazine called "MilePost" on this article - skip to page 15 OUTER BANKS MILEPOST: ISSUE 7.1

Once we get the Point Harbor SC we should be pretty set - the one in Plymouth is plenty close for driving west.

Reactions: swengl
The economics just are not there for rental houses to install charging.

However, things are getting better - I worked with a local magazine called "MilePost" on this article - skip to page 15 OUTER BANKS MILEPOST: ISSUE 7.1

Once we get the Point Harbor SC we should be pretty set - the one in Plymouth is plenty close for driving west.

Not certain I agree with your comment about economics. Perhaps it applies in the OBX area. We own a beach area rental house in South Carolina. I installed a Clipper Creek HCS-60 charger a couple of years ago. I made it available to our rental guests. I can't make it available for general use because it is installed in the driveway area under the house --- so connecting to the charger will block other cars.

My electricity rate from Santee Cooper is just a little over $0.10 per KwH. So if a rental guest were to bring a Tesla with 100 KwH battery, drive every day of the week and return with zero miles remaining each day (hardly likely, I think), it might cost me $50 or so. At the prevailing rental rates during the summer season, that is not a concern. However, during the off season, when the rental rates decrease significantly, I may have to consider this differently.

We updated our rental information sheet used by the real estate office that manages the house for us, to include mention that there is an EV charger available. I also listed it on PlugShare as a restricted location (restricted to use of our rental guests only). We are the only property with an EV charger managed by this real estate company. In fact, they were surprised when I asked about it. We've received nearly zero interest.

BTW, if your're interested in viewing it on Plugshare it can be found at Pawley's Island, South Carolina. Name of the house is "Sea Gals".

Reactions: J__T
I'm glad to see one person with a rental house is ahead of the curve. I have never made it down to Pawley's Island but If we do
"Sea Gals" is on our list. You don't have to put in a Clipper Creek set up all you need is a nema 14/50 220 line.

It may be a good idea to list all the chargers/220 lines at rental homes up and down the cost from Maine to Florida.

Not certain I agree with your comment about economics. Perhaps it applies in the OBX area. We own a beach area rental house in South Carolina. I installed a Clipper Creek HCS-60 charger a couple of years ago. I made it available to our rental guests. I can't make it available for general use because it is installed in the driveway area under the house --- so connecting to the charger will block other cars.

My electricity rate from Santee Cooper is just a little over $0.10 per KwH. So if a rental guest were to bring a Tesla with 100 KwH battery, drive every day of the week and return with zero miles remaining each day (hardly likely, I think), it might cost me $50 or so. At the prevailing rental rates during the summer season, that is not a concern. However, during the off season, when the rental rates decrease significantly, I may have to consider this differently.

We updated our rental information sheet used by the real estate office that manages the house for us, to include mention that there is an EV charger available. I also listed it on PlugShare as a restricted location (restricted to use of our rental guests only). We are the only property with an EV charger managed by this real estate company. In fact, they were surprised when I asked about it. We've received nearly zero interest.

BTW, if your're interested in viewing it on Plugshare it can be found at Pawley's Island, South Carolina. Name of the house is "Sea Gals".

My point about the economics is that it won't have a return on the installation investment - I have one of the few houses here with a Tesla charger, and have had one guest mention it out of dozens. It's just not worth spending money on for most owners, especially non Tesla folks. One day, perhaps.

OK, I may be off base here, not everything is an investment. As the owner of a rental property I would write the cost off, second a 220 line under the house is just another feature like the hot tub ( rally used by me when on vacation) or how about the fish cleaning station ( never used by us ). As more electric cars hit the road and more and more people use their electric cars
to travel ( Vacations ). It's that added feature that will make the difference. Do you remember when the first person put in hot tub, now every one has a hot tub.

Ten plus years ago not one solar collector was on the OBX. We now have a number of wind generator a hell of a lot of solar pool heaters and a number of solar hot water makers. Five to six years from now we'll be asking ourselves why it took so long to get charging stations at rental properties.

Why are real estate agents so slow to encourage rental property owners to provide a 220 line under the house. Because, their
is nothing in it for them. What do you think would happen if properties with 220 lines under the house are rented out 100%
of the time.

It will take so time before electrics make up even 5% of the market but it will come.

OK, I may be off base here, not everything is an investment. As the owner of a rental property I would write the cost off, second a 220 line under the house is just another feature like the hot tub ( rally used by me when on vacation) or how about the fish cleaning station ( never used by us ). As more electric cars hit the road and more and more people use their electric cars
to travel ( Vacations ). It's that added feature that will make the difference. Do you remember when the first person put in hot tub, now every one has a hot tub.

Ten plus years ago not one solar collector was on the OBX. We now have a number of wind generator a hell of a lot of solar pool heaters and a number of solar hot water makers. Five to six years from now we'll be asking ourselves why it took so long to get charging stations at rental properties.

Why are real estate agents so slow to encourage rental property owners to provide a 220 line under the house. Because, their
is nothing in it for them. What do you think would happen if properties with 220 lines under the house are rented out 100%
of the time.

It will take so time before electrics make up even 5% of the market but it will come.

I own three vacation rental homes. I have to view them as investments. If you have a second home where the income doesn't matter, you can do whatever you want, but trying to get owners to spend money or a charger rather than amenities that will appeal to everyone simply isn't going to get much traction until EVs are much more widespread.

When that time comes, demand will dictate that people will install chargers. Supply rarely creates demand, but it always finds it. Hot tubs came about because they made economic and competitive sense. There's just not much sense adding chargers now instead of spending that money on the constant upkeep homes require. There's always something that needs to be done, and I try to do the ones that benefit the most renters. Charging is way low on that list, especially considering that you CAN charge at any home, just not quickly, and there are several locations where you can fast charge around the OBX.

If someone actually uses the Tesla Charger at my soundfront house, I will be thrilled. But installing them at every home just doesn't make sense when it hasn't been used once in a year.

Reactions: jthompson
OBX John, What part of the island are your rentals at?

I have one in Duck, one on Colington Island, and one in Kill Devil Hills, near the Nags Head border. Here's the VRBO pages, but I do book directly as well to save people the fees. The Colington house, Otter Creek, is the one with the Tesla charger. I actually might try to use a 50amp extension cord at the KDH house, the Sea Witch, to see if I can take power from the downstairs stove outlet I'm not using. It'd be good for RVs or EVs.

Perfect Off-season House in Duck! *** NOT A... - VRBO

Nature Lovers Wanted! Soundfront, Solar Po... - VRBO

https://www.vrbo.com/719651?unitId=1267589

Well guess what? I was just contacted by a rental company with an owner who's asking about installing an EV charger.

I'm going to suggest a simple 14-50 outlet as that would give them the most flexibility for different EV brands, lowest cost, and widest use appeal as RV owners could use it too.

What do you all think? Is there any reason to install a Tesla charger or a multi standard charger?

Well guess what? I was just contacted by a rental company with an owner who's asking about installing an EV charger.

I'm going to suggest a simple 14-50 outlet as that would give them the most flexibility for different EV brands, lowest cost, and widest use appeal as RV owners could use it too.

What do you all think? Is there any reason to install a Tesla charger or a multi standard charger?
I would suggest a J1772. Useful for all EV cars.

Reactions: bhzmark
Just a wall outlet in the beach closet has worked for me to re charge over a couple days when at the beach. Ideally the 20 amp with the sideways plug is the cheapest way to go and will still work for nearly all people who realize that they are there all week and do not need to recharge in a few hours — over night for two nights is plenty. Def do not need a HPWC. A 14-50 or J1772 would be fine.

That’s the beauty of EV: I can refuel almost anywhere I park over night.

Reactions: OBX John