Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tyre - aaargh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So one week into ownership & I have a slow puncture from a nail in my tyre from a nail. Tyre is the 20 inch on the Model 3 performance.

Normally I wouldn’t think twice about having it plugged (it’s in centre of the tyre), but the internet has conflicting reports about whether there is the noise insulating foam in the 20 inch.

I’ll take it to my local tyre guy in the morning to look at, but any experience or views with something like this would be welcome.

Ha. I had one about 2 months into ownership but it was close enough to the sidewalk it was too dangerous to fix.

if your shop says no, go find another. When checking around the first two said they would not repair Tesla tires due to the foam. But there is no reason for that. A competent shop can simply cut out a ~3” square out of the foam, grind out the adhesive, and put in a patch (no plugs).

Since my puncture was on the sidewall, I ended up buying a used tire off EBay that was repaired and have had no issues in about 1k miles.

My fourth punture today. I was coming back over the hills from Bala and turned off nav and the TPMS display came back on - noticed Rt front down 4psi compared to the rest and watched it dropping 1psi every 5-10 mins. It got me home 5psi later and is booked for monday at local garage..

Fingers crossed, the sensitive TPMS may turn a few punctures into an inconvenience rather than a disaster. Hopefully many will be noticed in time to limp back home or to a repair shop. Shame that TPMS doesn't register things before moving off, but having changed to seasonal tyres, a puncture will still be picked up PDQ. Having a season set of wheels gives an emergency spare at home.