Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav/Map update EU-2022.12-13877

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting until the sign for lorry speed restrictions is ignored in the car. In Scotland “A” roads are limited to 40mph for HGV’s, and the car recognises the 40 and applies that to AP, so AP is not much use on “A” roads.
This in practice turns out to be incredibly annoying, as it won't even allow you to set TACC at even 1mph above the HGV limit (which is 10mph slower than the speed limit for everyone else). Was my number 1 frustration while driving in Scotland last year.

Reactions: Overworked
That's clever, and certainly beyond my capabilities, but won't the download pick up from where it let off the next time you connect to the wifi? Then when it's finished it'll just update in the car?
It'll resume downloading if it meets the rules I've set on my home network. About to head away for 3 days so won't be connected to WIFI and didn't want to test drive these maps immediately with so little feedback out there.

I'll install next week when my trips don't include places I'm unfamiliar with.

If you want to hold off on any map update, you can simply forget your home network within the car thus controlling what the car downloads. You'll need to do this if you're using a mobile hotspot too. Obviously you won't be able to download regular software updates either during this time.

This in practice turns out to be incredibly annoying, as it won't even allow you to set TACC at even 1mph above the HGV limit (which is 10mph slower than the speed limit for everyone else). Was my number 1 frustration while driving in Scotland last year.
Can you share your autopilot settings screen? You can increase the limit in absolute or relative and I always set it slightly above the limit.

As far as I'm aware, straight TACC never prevents you setting a speed above the speed limit. When autosteer is enabled, however, the car will sometimes decide to restrict the set speed if it's feeling unhappy with the road conditions - generally only when you try to use autosteer off the dual carriageway, which it isn't really designed for.

EDIT: Actaully, i just checked the manual - when autosteer is speed restricted, it's limited to speed limit+5mph, so that wouldn't precisely explain the behaviour you're seeing, unless it's changed between software releases...

Last edited:
Can you share your autopilot settings screen? You can increase the limit in absolute or relative and I always set it slightly above the limit.
The problem is that on an "A" road the HGV limit is 40mph, and the car limit is 60mph. If you engage AP it wont go above the limit as soon as it detects the 40 on the HGV sign, when it next sees a National Speed Limit sign it goes back up to 60mph until the next HGV sign. Setting an offset to +20mph would have you doing 80mph on the normal stretch.
1654365339526.png

The problem is that on an "A" road the HGV limit is 40mph, and the car limit is 60mph. If you engage AP it wont go above the limit as soon as it detects the 40 on the HGV sign, when it next sees a National Speed Limit sign it goes back up to 60mph until the next HGV sign. Setting an offset to +20mph would have you doing 80mph on the normal stretch.
View attachment 812632
To avoid confusion I will just add that a standard 40mph HGV limit applies in Scotland other than on the A9 where it’s 50mph as per the rest of the UK.

View attachment 812632
I found this limitation annoying when I visited Scotland few months ago. Hopefully these would get addressed sooner now that they have their test cars and a dedicated position for the UK market.

Well I am 50% happy with the new mapping. Of the two problem areas I normally encounter one is fixed and one not. The Gleneagles village bypass dual carriageway worked northbound on AP and failed completely southbound until today. It now works properly!

Southbound on the A90 south of Forfar on the dual carriageway there is a point at a junction where it brakes and drops about 8mph before picking up again. That still remains.

Just done the return journey and the A90 south of Forfar still has the same “hesitation “ passing the junction northbound- but with a 16mph deceleration this time - both directions for no apparent reason.
I seem to get this just North of Peggy Scott's. Not sure if you're referring to the same area?

Installed the new maps yesterday and from a 90 min drive today, couldn't tell if there were any improvements nor regressions.

I seem to get this just North of Peggy Scott's. Not sure if you're referring to the same area?

Installed the new maps yesterday and from a 90 min drive today, couldn't tell if there were any improvements nor regressions.
Dont get any issues north of Peggy Scott’s at all. I get the braking at the junction in front of AM Phillip Agri machinery shop on the A90. At the point where there is the crossing over the dual carriageway in each direction.

I wonder if it is a “fleet speed” issue, but it takes effect as a rapid braking over about 10-20 yards with 8-16mph drop in speed. Every time I pass.

I do notice that recent updates this year have caused the speed limit to not be displayed around some junctions - rather than an incorrect limit being displayed. Definitely seems that the car is more willing to admit that it doesn't know what the speed limit it (rather than displaying an incorrect one).

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I do notice that recent updates this year have caused the speed limit to not be displayed around some junctions - rather than an incorrect limit being displayed. Definitely seems that the car is more willing to admit that it doesn't know what the speed limit it (rather than displaying an incorrect one).
I experienced the opposite issue where the speed limit keeps flipping between 30, 20 and even 40 depending on what the car sees rather than using the direction of travel. I am going on a long trip this weekend so would report if things are any better overall.