Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: A brief look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moving this from my "story" thread since seems more relevant here:

I got a PM asking me about the Google maps integration with the nav. I saw that people refer to it as two different things. I don't perceive it this way. On the 17" you have this big beautiful map, search box, and history drop down. You can select a destination or map view by typing anything in the search. It works just like Google maps, in that you can type the destination in any of a number of ways and it suggests a list of what it thinks you mean. (e.g. Type "Irvine Metrolink" and get back results that say things like "Metrolink Station, 15215 Barranca Parkway, Irvine, CA 92618") I find it's not quite as good at figuring out what I mean as the web Google maps interface, but it's clearly intended to work the same way and I suspect this will improve with time. The list comes up dynamically as you type (after not typing for a couple seconds depending on connection speed), or if you press enter it will appear in a slightly different format that seems to use a bit different matching algorithm.

Once you select your destination from the drop down, it shows the marker on the map with a hover card showing the address and with a big "Navigate" button. Clicking Navigate causes the map to plot a blue line from your current location to the destination, with a navigation hover box in the upper left showing the next few step by step directions in text. You may not see all the way to your destination on the map depending on how zoomed in you are. You can easily move the 17" map around and zoom in and out with your fingers. (It has +/- zoom buttons, but you can also pinch to zoom like on an ipad--although it seems to snap to only certain levels of zoom.) If you have selected to have navigation show above the steering wheel, there you get the TomTom-like forward view graphic people have posted pictures of (including line guidance with overhead signage--which doesn't appear on the main screen).

These two screens seem closely integrated with each other. I don't know if there's a difference in terms of data connectivity. Maybe it downloads all the directions at the start of the route, but retrieves the big map background on an as needed basis. I don't believe any of this would work without connectivity in the current firmware--at least at the time you start your route.

So no, I don't think they are two different nav systems. I can try to snap pictures later, but I think pictures above probably already give everyone a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty happy with it. I LOVE seeing the traffic conditions overlaid on the map. (I drive LA freeways a lot.) The only things I miss from my iphone TomTom app:
- Dynamic routing around traffic. Instead I have to look at the traffic and make my own judgements.
- Speed limit warnings: I'd love it if I could opt to have the car warn me with a polite warning beep when I go a certain % above the speed limit for the road I am on. (TomTom can do this, except it doesn't let you set a % above the limit before it warns.) It's certainly easy to accidentally zoom way above the limit with this car's acceleration and silence.

Last edited:
- Speed limit warnings: I'd love it if I could opt to have the car warn me with a polite warning beep when I go a certain % above the speed limit for the road I am on. (TomTom can do this, except it doesn't let you set a % above the limit before it warns.) It's certainly easy to accidentally zoom way above the limit with this car's acceleration and silence.

Tesla has said that a speed warning chime is coming in an update soon (perhaps the next?) Whether this is tied to speed limit is unknown...but I imagine a lot of features like speed limits will come in software updates.

Only problem with tethering and not having a separate wireless for the Tesla would be remote access. The iOS/Android App wouldn't be able to communicate with your phone unless you were within hotspot distance.

Not necessarily... Tesla could easily have some default SMS like data plan only covering log collection and remote analysis. That would all be text based so the actual data transfers would be minimal. Seem to remember reading they had something like that installed in the Roadsters? Anyway, that could be the default and then the customer could opt in on an additional, beefier 3G/4G data plan for web browsing and Google maps.

I suspect that on-board storage of maps is planned for a future software upgrade. [...]I hope this is true, as I would be really upset if in the end on-board maps are not supported.

This is how I interpreted it as well. Google maps included with the base model. The tech package would be to include the voice prompting navigation with 7 years of updates. Google maps seems to be updated on the fly. Navigation would be changes in routes, options, voice-overs, or updated maps. That's why I think this has to be different from the Google maps. I am sure they are integrated in some fashion vis-a-vis Jason's recent post. Otherwise, what exactly are we paying for?

The system is clearly not just native Google maps. There's a Tesla logo on the map in the lower corner next to a Google logo. The address selection is similar to on maps.google.com, but clearly not the exact same software. I suspect this was written by Tesla and is not just running Google maps via a browser control or such. As such, I think the turn by turn and map could still be integrated, even with the addition of an offline capability. In other words, I don't think these need to be two nav systems in order for it to work offline. We'll have to wait for an update to enable offline to really see though.

Clicking Navigate causes the map to plot a blue line from your current location to the destination, with a navigation hover box in the upper left showing the next few step by step directions in text.

Dadaleus,

Once your route is plotted as a blue line:

1. Does it propose alternate routes (2 or 3)?

2. Can you dynamically alter it by dragging points to different streets before you start to drive (or while driving, for that matter)?

Thank you again for your great information!

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in here... Does the NAV system have voice prompts? I currently have a lovely British accented woman guiding me on my Garmin. And her speech is dead-on perfect. No glitches or weird pauses. Garmin has spent years perfecting this technology. I hope the Tesla/Google system turns out to be as good as one I can buy at Costco for $150. While Google maps are nice, I wonder why Tesla didn't partner with Garmin or TomTom on this part of the car?

I'm disappointed that a lot of the expected features aren't shipping right now.

BUT

I'm absolutely delighted that just about everything suggested here can be added in the future by a simple software update.

The problem, unfortunately, is that we customers have no clue what is or is not going to come down the pike. We can only take it on faith that Tesla will implement a lot of these features.

As an aside: Given the different zoom levels, satellite imagery on Google maps must take up gobs and gobs of data storage. I'd be happy with the hard drive storing maps and POIs for your country or, in cases where countries are small (Europe, for example) the entire continent--using a vector format. Then, on top of that, the ability to store satellite imagery at several zoom levels for a few hundred square miles.

I wonder how much storage space a square mile would require at all the zoom levels on Google Maps. Hey SByer, you're a Google employee--do you have access to that info?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in here... Does the NAV system have voice prompts?

Yes. I haven't heard it personally so can't vouch for the quality.

While Google maps are nice, I wonder why Tesla didn't partner with Garmin or TomTom on this part of the car?

Perhaps because a couple of guys named Sergey Brin and Larry Page are investors in Tesla? :)

I got a PM asking me about the Google maps integration with the nav. I saw that people refer to it as two different things. I don't perceive it this way. On the 17" you have this big beautiful map, search box, and history drop down. You can select a destination or map view by typing anything in the search. It works just like Google maps, in that you can type the destination in any of a number of ways and it suggests a list of what it thinks you mean. (e.g. Type "Irvine Metrolink" and get back results that say things like "Metrolink Station, 15215 Barranca Parkway, Irvine, CA 92618") I find it's not quite as good at figuring out what I mean as the web Google maps interface, but it's clearly intended to work the same way and I suspect this will improve with time. The list comes up dynamically as you type (after not typing for a couple seconds depending on connection speed), or if you press enter it will appear in a slightly different format that seems to use a bit different matching algorithm.

The problem is that the quasi-Google map on the 17" display is totally dependent on a data connection via cellular to do anything. Try to do any of this or look at a map on the 17" display outside of cellular coverage and you get nothing.

In addition, even within cellular coverage not being able to select "direction of travel" up is a serious flaw! I like to do a Quick glance at the map and be able to see what's on my left and right without having to think upside down.

In addition, even within cellular coverage not being able to select "direction of travel" up is a serious flaw! I like to do a Quick glance at the map and be able to see what's on my left and right without having to think upside down.

I tried using "direction of travel" and didn't like it. My guess is that's because of all the years I spent using paper maps. Different strokes...

The problem is that the quasi-Google map on the 17" display is totally dependent on a data connection via cellular to do anything. Try to do any of this or look at a map on the 17" display outside of cellular coverage and you get nothing.

So to clarify, can you show maps on the instrument panel next to the speedometer when outside of cellular range?

> opinion that all electric cars should have a basic navigation system to locate public charging stations in their vicinity.

Sort of compelling but actually kinda risky to rely on without a test visit. ModelS may work with more chargers than the Roadster, but one never knows until you check it out.

Basic Display System - *ModelS must have*. Display on 17in screen JPG or TIFFs of maps from your USB thumbdrive. Full screen & able to easily rotate image 90 degrees at a time, so car & map are reasonably going in same direction.

ModelS is a limited range car, so the least amount of planning ahead is all one needs. Nav systems are for folks flying into a city they may never visit again: airport>restaurant>hotel>airport turn-by-turn is all they need. The rental agency can program this for them. But in *your own* limited range area you want to retain knowledge of street patterns, preferred routes, etc. Learn as you chose & save the maps on your 'puter at home. Why is random acess to map data that necessary in a car? Any trip worth taking is worth planning for. Color me NO TECH PKG.
--

I've lived where I am for 6 years now and often need to use nav to find a new place, navigate around traffic or to find alternate routes for whatever reasons.

Sometimes the Nav system will surprise me with new routes that I don't believe I'd find using a paper map (maps.google is another story) when I'm trying to avoid traffic or find a new place. The other thing about the nav system is that it frees you from Interstate tyranny. You can take alternative routes knowing that you can always get back and usually you won't have to back-track.

Many people have mentioned tethering their phone to to car to get the internet connection. Not everyone can do that. I can't do that. I have the iphone with "unlimited" data via ATT. Tethering is not permitted on the "unlimited" plan. I'm sure many people ar in the same situation.