Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navak USB combo hub (Gen 2) ready to fly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's only been true on cars built since ~2.5 months ago.

The dual navak folks are the ones using cars like Tesla built the previous many years where it was instead 2 USB A ports in the front and you had to bring your own wireless charging pad and it required use of BOTH available USB-A ports, hence need for some kind of splitter and the Navak was by far best of the bunch.

Yes, if you don't care about playing higher quality music from USB, and don't have any need for plugging in a game controller, the single USB-A front port for dashcam is all you need.

Yup- and I think those are USB-C now on the recent cars as well (they were also A ports for most of Teslas existence)
With the hearing loss I have, even with hearing aids, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in audio quality. And no game controller needed.

Thanks.

Is there any performance or reliability difference between a uSD card and a SSD for this application?

Based on the amount the car writes, and the rated lifecycle of quality USB keys, SDcards, and SSDs, all of them of reasonable size should be good for 5-10 years of writes on the high end of usage (24/7).... and 10-20 years of use on the 8-10 hour a day use for folks who leave sentry off at home.

(this is based on a 128GB storage size and the basic math is easy from there and appears in numerous threads on the topic)

But if your really want to be able to pass dashcam footage down to your grandkids, spending a few bucks more on the superduperhighendurance stuff might be of value to you, that stuff should be good for 20-40 years of writes depending how many hours a day you're using Sentry/dashcam.

Reactions: Airgetlam
Based on the amount the car writes, and the rated lifecycle of quality USB keys, SDcards, and SSDs, all of them of reasonable size should be good for 5-10 years of writes on the high end of usage (24/7).... and 10-20 years of use on the 8-10 hour a day use for folks who leave sentry off at home.
thanks... so there is no difference between uSD and SSD (like mSATA or micro SATA)?

thanks... so there is no difference between uSD and SSD (like mSATA or micro SATA)?
I would use the high endurance SanDisk card or better.
I originally used my SSD because it was an enterprise drive with power loss protection. I don’t think Tesla is cutting power while writing data any more like the early dashcam days.
I’m not a fan of TLC or QLC for video security media.

there's differences, some in the pro column, some in con, and some of which in each that don't really matter.

For example an SSD is more expensive- that's a con that matters.

An SSD is also likely to use a type of flash rated for more writes- but since good quality keys and SDcards are already rated for at least 5-10 years of writes at the low speed the car writes, that's a pro that probably doesn't matter.

An SD card requires an SD to USB adapter, that's a con since it adds another point of failure and one that matters

An SSD generally has a narrower range of temperatures it's rated to be used in compared to a key or SDcard, that's a con and it MIGHT matter depending on your individual use case... (if your circumstances mean your interior never gets super hot it's not relevant, otherwise it might be)

What the owners manual actually recommends is just using a USB key. Which is generally least expensive, requires no adapter, and still offers a better heat range than SSDs usually do. The manual recommends 2 specific ones, here's the one I use (a 128GB version of one of the ones in the manual) and it's worked flawlessly for approaching 2 years now-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PDLXC/

20 bucks currently.

I did use an SDcard during testing of the 2nd gen navak device (which has an SDcard reader built in) and saw perfect performance from this guy if you prefer that route-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/

30 bucks currently

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
hit up @Navak via DM, he should hook you up.

i had the first gen and then bought the second gen right away. these are true intelligent hubs, with built in card slot! and the footprint is very nice. i have two - one for sentry and the other for music.

i like to support indie vendors and can fully recommend this module.

Thanks! Since I'm taking delivery on one of the newer M3's with included wireless charging and changes to the USB ports, I may wait to see how everything is configured. I don't think the wireless charging is hardwired, but I'm not sure what USB it plugs into.

Thanks! Since I'm taking delivery on one of the newer M3's with included wireless charging and changes to the USB ports, I may wait to see how everything is configured. I don't think the wireless charging is hardwired, but I'm not sure what USB it plugs into.

Wireless pad on new cars plugs into USB-C (since it can supply a lot more power than the A port can)

Leaves you one empty USB-A slot up front that can be used for:

Dashcam storage
Music storage
Game controller
Wired phone charging
(and probably some other less common stuff)

So if you need a splitter will depend on if you want to do more of that than 1 port allows otherwise.

Reactions: krapg
Wireless pad on new cars plugs into USB-C (since it can supply a lot more power than the A port can)

Leaves you one empty USB-A slot up front that can be used for:

Dashcam storage
Music storage
Game controller
Wired phone charging
(and probably some other less common stuff)

So if you need a splitter will depend on if you want to do more of that than 1 port allows otherwise.

Thanks. Exactly the info I was looking for. Deciding between this and the Taptes hub.

Reactions: swb2734
@Navak any chance you are going to add any more fo these to Amazon? My Gen 1 stopped working (Sentry/dashcam side works fine, but the charging side no longer does). I was super happy with it however and would like to replace with a Gen 2 if possible.
Hi @hudsoncat,

I do have plans to make another batch but not sure how soon that will happen. For sure, I can quickly assemble Gen 2 for you. I would love to get back the failed Gen 1 and do some analysis. Please DM me your address and Ill get you Gen 2. Thanks.

Hi @hudsoncat,

I do have plans to make another batch but not sure how soon that will happen. For sure, I can quickly assemble Gen 2 for you. I would love to get back the failed Gen 1 and do some analysis. Please DM me your address and Ill get you Gen 2. Thanks.
@Navak, you are a freaking rock star. My personal experience in working with you has been stellar and every time I read anything, I am reading nothing but great responses, both to the product and to your service. Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
@Navak, you are a freaking rock star. My personal experience in working with you has been stellar and every time I read anything, I am reading nothing but great responses, both to the product and to your service. Thank you!

I just wanted to echo that with an AMEN!!! There is nothing I treasure more in my Model 3 than my Navak hubs. And on a personal note, I’ve never worked with a friendlier pro!

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Status
Not open for further replies.