Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot - auto lane change not working consistently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, haven't posted in quite a while but I'm baaack ;-)

3/2017 S90D with FSD license enabled and love it - BUT...

auto lane change to the left frequently fails to work. it doesn't seem to matter if the car makes the decision or if I request it with the turn signal the car will start to change lanes then change it's mind repeatedly. it seems to work properly for changes to right lane and sometimes moving to the right cures the problem temporarily.

Is this a problem with my car or it it just the way the current state of the software works?

Hi all, haven't posted in quite a while but I'm baaack ;-)

3/2017 S90D with FSD license enabled and love it - BUT...

auto lane change to the left frequently fails to work. it doesn't seem to matter if the car makes the decision or if I request it with the turn signal the car will start to change lanes then change it's mind repeatedly. it seems to work properly for changes to right lane and sometimes moving to the right cures the problem temporarily.

Is this a problem with my car or it it just the way the current state of the software works?

No, that is not how the current software works. You might have a problem with your car. I had a similar problem where my car would not do left auto lane changes but would do right auto lane changes. I scheduled an appointment with Tesla and they sent a mobile service van to check it out. They replaced my left side repeater camera and it fixed the problem.

Upvote 0
It may be software, our 2017 X has the same problem. No warning about AP or NoA being disabled, no sun glare, no featureless camera view to the left, and of course no cars in sight to the left. I have had decent luck with it, maybe 80% or better success. My wife seemed to be more like 20%, but she doesn't wait very long before doing it herself. I was thinking it could be a turn signal switch problem since we don't usually latch it. But even latched the turn signal will be on and nothing happens. And it's not an aborted lane change, which is different than previous similar problems.

I don't know when this started. The X is our road trip car and it's been a while since we've been able to hit the road. We've put 3,000 miles so far on this trip.

But maybe we'll need to replace the camera.

Upvote 0
I've also noticed that auto lane change won't work if you don't see an adjacent lane on the screen. So make sure you see a consistent adjacent lane before trying to do an auto lane change with the stalk. If the adjacent lane is intermittent, the car will either not do the auto lane change or will start the lane change and abort half way through (which can be really annoying and potentially risky if there are other cars around).

Upvote 0
I've also noticed that auto lane change won't work if you don't see an adjacent lane on the screen. So make sure you see a consistent adjacent lane before trying to do an auto lane change with the stalk. If the adjacent lane is intermittent, the car will either not do the auto lane change or will start the lane change and abort half way through (which can be really annoying and potentially risky if there are other cars around).
I've noticed this too. More specifically, the car needs to see the outside lane marker of the target lane, not just the lane marker you're trying to cross. Sometimes my S has trouble seeing the outside marker if I'm trying to move into the far left lane and the outside marker is yellow.

Reactions: diplomat33
Upvote 0
I've noticed this too. More specifically, the car needs to see the outside lane marker of the target lane, not just the lane marker you're trying to cross. Sometimes my S has trouble seeing the outside marker if I'm trying to move into the far left lane and the outside marker is yellow.

Correct. When I say "see the adjacent lane", I am referring to seeing the outside lane marker. If the outside lane marker flickers in and out on the screen, the car will not perform the auto lane change reliably. And if it does not see the outside lane marker at all, it will not perform the auto lane change at all.

Upvote 0
Well, it took several service appointments but they finally figured it out! Problem was with the ultrasonic sensor in the left front fender, they replaced it and now it seems to work flawlessly! Unfortunately the only one they had in stock was gray and the red one was back ordered but I'm happier with a minor cosmetic defect and a functional car. They promised to send a mobile tech to install the correct part when it is available so I don't need to visit the service center again.

Ironically the repair was "completed" the same the beta download button update was pushed out so If I had waited another week the problem would have corrected itself since my understanding is that TeslaVision ignores inputs from the ultrasonics and radar LOL

Upvote 0