Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot flying bus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed the "meiosis of the lorry".
It happens when I pass a lorry, While approaching the lorry it is correctly displayed slightly in front of my car on the right lane. As I reach it and it starts moving backward along the side of the car, it suddenly splits in 2 lorries! It gets back to 1 lorry only after I have fully passed it.
I think the problem is in the way the car understands the pillar camera: if an object is big enough to be in the view of 2 cameras at the same time (front + pillar or pillar + blinker) it is shown as 2 objects. When it is in the view of only 1 camera it gets correctly shown.

Reactions: Joelgjr
My significant other and I have noticed this since 39.6 and I must say it has gotten better with 42.2

A couple days ago while traveling in the RH lane I came upon 2 lanes of traffic at a stop light and stopped behind a city bus, looking at the dash I saw that the bus was depicted as a tractor trailer and totally over in the LH lane and the RH lane ahead of me was clear (through the traffic light).
Looking through the windscreen I could see that there was a black small suv and a sliver car as the lead vehicles in the LH lane and the bus was ahead of me.
When we started moving, on the dash screen the bus popped over ahead of me and the two lead vehicles were revealed.

What other car on the planet can sense adjacent objects and classify them? From pedestrians to SUVs to trucks.

Impressive if you ask me.

The tech is cool, but the raw outputs from the AP computers seem more stable. The tech behind this has been out for ages. Props to them to actually make it available, but stability / less goofy stuff would be appreciated.

I personally dont mind the mistakes in vehicle representation...
My biggest concern is that if the car really does think I'm wedged in between two cars at a red light, or that a car is sideswiping me as im driving..
Shouldn't it be freaking out, or at the very least warning me of a collision?

In my case if I had TACC running and the car saw the bus that was ahead of me and placed it in the LH lane would it then think that the way ahead was clear and ram the bus, resulting in another case of running into a large stopped vehicle?

I personally dont mind the mistakes in vehicle representation...
My biggest concern is that if the car really does think I'm wedged in between two cars at a red light, or that a car is sideswiping me as im driving..
Shouldn't it be freaking out, or at the very least warning me of a collision?

This is my biggest concern with FSD. While I understand it's still under development, but on average, I'd guess that I see at least a dozen of these incidents on my daily drive, if not more. I'll be driving along and the car in the lane next to me will stay steady, but the IC will show it crossing the line into my lane as I get closer. I'm concerned that the car will see one of these incidents as real and act on it, or it will think it's a false positive and not. It may just be on the display side of things, and not an accurate interoperation of what the cameras are seeing, but it is concerning either way.

Reactions: 1375mlm