Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot is Useless (2018.42.3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well stated, @DrDabbles. Got to admit that I didn't read the manual about AP. Silly me. I thought the car was a Mac and I didn't have to read a manual <Snarky jab at Mac fanboyz>. I guess I assumed that AP was a pre-cursor to FSD and it would have some of the features. Oh, well.

It does have some of the features. It will change lanes somewhat sensibly if you turn on your blinker, for instance. And it will generally keep you in your marked lane on a highway. But it's what's known as Level 2 driver assistance, which means you are driving the car at all times, and the car is assisting you in some limited ways.

I am a new Model X 2020 owner. Not even 2 months yet. 4,172 miles already.

I just made a trip from Norfolk, VA to Rutherford, NJ via the Eastern Shore and back in two days. Lots of construction, crazy NJ road design, etc. Not real impressed with AP. On several occasions there were lane closures and the car wanted to plow into the cones. Red lights mean nothing. I never had it try to pass a slow vehicle in my lane.

I missed several on-ramps while NoAP was turned off, due to traffic and unclear directions (in metro NJ, there are a lot of stacked exits and obstacles.) I did not have the voice-assist turned on (she drive me crazy when I am listening to something), so trying to follow the little arrows while driving is a challenge. I wasn't ready to put my life in Tesla's hands yesterday while I was in the city.

I wanted to jump on this thread to talk about my experience since getting my X.

-- I have noticed that autosteer seems to key on the right side of the road, not the left, so it always drifts right when the line disappears or when a turn lane or merge lane is present. I would make it track on the center or the left line.
-- The offramp lane tracking got much better after the latest update.
-- Obstacle avoidance for construction just isn't there.
-- Top speed is inconsistent. Often I can only autosteer 5 mph over in a 55 zone but other times I can do 70. Not sure what the rule is.
-- Last night on a dark, empty road, the light was red. I was going 60 and it wasn't slowing down. I let it get close and just before I braked, I got a red alert on my dash warning me about something, I assume it was the red light.
-- I have no clue how the new stop light and stop sign awareness works. I can see the stoplights on my dash display when I get close but they seem to have no effect.
-- I got off of a limited access highway to go to a Supercharger. The offramp goes into a major intersection and I needed to turn left. It picked neither of the two turn lanes and didn't seem to care that it was approaching an intersection with traffic. Bummer.
-- Pet peeve. It didn't seem to know where the SC was (in the back lot behind a Wawa gas station.) Also, you would think that these cars could automatically back into an available SC pod and even (this would be cool) know not to share a charger (1A/1B) if another one was available.

Don't get me wrong. I have been wanting one of these cars for over 10 years, so it wasn't an impulse buy :). I am also loving free supercharging, although I am finding that very often they aren't really near anything I might want to visit while driving through on a trip. Wawas are OK but not my primary cuisine choice...
You are expecting it to do more than it is currently designed to do. It will not stop for lights or signs. The 5 over limit is road-type dependent. Once on a non-interchange ramp, you are responsible for driving and picking lanes. It won’t. Treat it as a fancy cruise control and you’ll be happy. I realize it’s hard to figure out what new capabilities are included with each release, but Tesla communications are another issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
I am a new Model X 2020 owner. Not even 2 months yet. 4,172 miles already.

I just made a trip from Norfolk, VA to Rutherford, NJ via the Eastern Shore and back in two days. Lots of construction, crazy NJ road design, etc. Not real impressed with AP. On several occasions there were lane closures and the car wanted to plow into the cones. Red lights mean nothing. I never had it try to pass a slow vehicle in my lane.

I missed several on-ramps while NoAP was turned off, due to traffic and unclear directions (in metro NJ, there are a lot of stacked exits and obstacles.) I did not have the voice-assist turned on (she drive me crazy when I am listening to something), so trying to follow the little arrows while driving is a challenge. I wasn't ready to put my life in Tesla's hands yesterday while I was in the city.

I wanted to jump on this thread to talk about my experience since getting my X.

-- I have noticed that autosteer seems to key on the right side of the road, not the left, so it always drifts right when the line disappears or when a turn lane or merge lane is present. I would make it track on the center or the left line.
-- The offramp lane tracking got much better after the latest update.
-- Obstacle avoidance for construction just isn't there.
-- Top speed is inconsistent. Often I can only autosteer 5 mph over in a 55 zone but other times I can do 70. Not sure what the rule is.
-- Last night on a dark, empty road, the light was red. I was going 60 and it wasn't slowing down. I let it get close and just before I braked, I got a red alert on my dash warning me about something, I assume it was the red light.
-- I have no clue how the new stop light and stop sign awareness works. I can see the stoplights on my dash display when I get close but they seem to have no effect.
-- I got off of a limited access highway to go to a Supercharger. The offramp goes into a major intersection and I needed to turn left. It picked neither of the two turn lanes and didn't seem to care that it was approaching an intersection with traffic. Bummer.
-- Pet peeve. It didn't seem to know where the SC was (in the back lot behind a Wawa gas station.) Also, you would think that these cars could automatically back into an available SC pod and even (this would be cool) know not to share a charger (1A/1B) if another one was available.

Don't get me wrong. I have been wanting one of these cars for over 10 years, so it wasn't an impulse buy :). I am also loving free supercharging, although I am finding that very often they aren't really near anything I might want to visit while driving through on a trip. Wawas are OK but not my primary cuisine choice...

I was hoping to see something like this in your list of disappointments:

-- I wanted the car to go McDs and get Burger, but instead it went to Burger King and got me whopper and didn't even get me the correct change. What a disappointment !

Why does NoA never merge back into the right lane after making a pass? Used to do it before. Now I have to do it manually.

This is one of several regressions that appeared at the same time. Lane ping-pong, not changing back into slower lanes or even suggesting slower lanes, using directional indicators to not take exit ramps, and once again changing the behavior of which lane line to follow.

Mine is still pulling into bus stops, and goes apeshit when 2 lanes merge into 1 and vice versa.
Also it wants to change into the middle lane even if all of them are the correct route. Totally unnecessary

I was really hoping for progress. Is AP2/2.5 development dead as HW3 is out now?

Last edited:
It's incredibly awful.

What's the point of NoA when it only does half the job, and acts like an asshole by staying in the passing lane?

It's illegal, dangerous, and careless.
This is a bug and Dirty Tesla claims his HW3 upgrade fixed the bug for him. To me it's not really an issue. If the car is hanging out in a lane you don't like, just ask it to change lanes into whatever lane you do like.

Defeats half the purpose of NoA if you have to switch lanes manually.
Nah. Well, I mean depends on what purpose you give NoA. I see NoA as a second brain that helps me drive. I am happy to help it out, just as it helps me out. I know it'll get better over time, especially the more I help it out. I see it as no different than helping a teenager learn how to drive. One day it'll drive me to Cracker Barrel but in the meantime I need to help it out on occasion.

Recently I turned lane change confirmation back on. It's quite an improvement. The passing suggestions are still there and useful. At the same time, you don't end up with the car sitting there with the blinker on trying to figure out if you have your hands on the wheel, or making bizarre lane change choices at freeway merges. Until the software improves, having confirmations on seems to be the most useful version of NoA.

Recently I turned lane change confirmation back on. It's quite an improvement. The passing suggestions are still there and useful. At the same time, you don't end up with the car sitting there with the blinker on trying to figure out if you have your hands on the wheel, or making bizarre lane change choices at freeway merges. Until the software improves, having confirmations on seems to be the most useful version of NoA.
"Trying to figure out if you have your hands on the wheel." Don't you always have your hands on the wheel? I find the non-confirm version much more useful but I've learned how to hold the wheel so that I'm always applying pressure but not applying any muscle force (just letting gravity do its job).

But in general, yes, the lane changing AI has gotten much better recently.