Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Navigate on Autopilot requires updated maps."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the last week, I have not been able to select Navigate on Autopilot as the selection is grayed out with the notice "Navigate on Autopilot requires updated maps." I verified that I am connected to WIFI and today I even deleted the WIFI entry and recreated it.

In the meantime I have received 2019.8.4 and 2019.8.5 updates, so I'm wondering what is preventing the Navigate on Autopilot data from being downloaded.

Is there any way to check on the status of this download?

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
I have the same issue with my new car. It came with 2019.5.15 and then I updated to 2019.8.5 but NoA maps are still not downloaded. I chatted with the support and the rep said it's not downloading the maps because my WiFi signal strength is only 2 bars :rolleyes:

Wish the car offered some message about a specific reason...

The car is in the garage and the WIFI router is in the basement but the car still gets 3 bars. I wonder if that's not sufficient. The only way to fix this is to run a network cable to the garage and setup a separate WIFI hotspot in the garage just for the car.

I think this guy is the head software engineer.

Attachments

• Soup.jpg
    Soup.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 250
I heard the same semi-BS info from Tesla. If you have a WiFi connection and the VPN is running, it’s running.

They also told me after accessing the car to be sure it was connected to WiFi. It was full strength at least 12 hours a day. Why couldn’t they see that?

And what does ‘bars’ mean to WiFi? The bars indicator is for LTE, right? The WiFi strength doesn’t have ‘bars’. It has three ‘curves’ which I’ve never heard called bars.

One more example of them not being familiar with the hardware.

They also said the maps were stuck and a ‘power off’ could clear them. So, I did that and it did work.

Hate to have everyone powering down cars but if you are current on firmware but not maps, worth a try.

For those having download issues perhaps it's time to upgrade your router. My cable modem is in the basement. A couple of years ago I was having issues streaming movies etc and decided it was time to replace the router. I went with Google's mesh network and have had zero problems since. Maps download fine to my car. Closest access point is two rooms away from garage.

I put a $35 repeater in my garage. Gave it it's own Tesla SSID.
Should this be required? Nope, but what choice do I have?
Ha, not required but the only way to get the damned car to stay connected. I have 2 Tesla's, had to give each their own SSD in order for them to stay connected (when sharing an SSID, they would sometimes stay connected, but other times just keep disconnecting and connecting in a loop). Tesla WIFI is alpha quality at best and obviously never tested much - I can get a $20 webcam to stay connected no problem, but not a $100K Tesla.

I chatted with the support and the rep said it's not downloading the maps because my WiFi signal strength is only 2 bars :rolleyes:

Oh gee, there they go passing the buck again. It seems to be the common excuse. Although I have super good connections inside my garage, I often have the car sitting out in the driveway where it barely gets wifi, yet no problem getting maps and updates (which I ignore to install anyway). I would think that as long as you have a consistent connection without interruption, that your updates will come through. Sure it might be slower due to lower bandwidth, but still come through. What I see on my car with only about 1 bar out in the driveway is that it downloads some sort of crap occasionally for hours at a time and at decent speed, not just pinging status.

When the rep tells you that, they maybe you reply the reason he is not directing tech support is that he is only running:rolleyes: on two bars

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva
If you're trying to get Nav on AP, there's a huge map update (6+GB) Tesla does push out via WiFi, however, once the install corrupts or fails it can only be fixed at your service center. I ran into this personally and trust me no matter how strong your WiFi signal is it won't fix it. I think the svc center actually has to physically connect to the car and upload the maps. It takes them about an hour even with their laptop hardwired into the car's LAN.

If you're trying to get Nav on AP, there's a huge map update (6+GB) Tesla does push out via WiFi, however, once the install corrupts or fails it can only be fixed at your service center. I ran into this personally and trust me no matter how strong your WiFi signal is it won't fix it. I think the svc center actually has to physically connect to the car and upload the maps. It takes them about an hour even with their laptop hardwired into the car's LAN.

Yikes, that is not good... That would explain why no matter what I have done, I have not received the NOA map update.

But how would this map update work for future updates though even if I have this fixed at a service center? Seems like the current method wastes a lot of data if it needs to start at zero each time the download is interrupted.

I thought transferring multi GB data in segments of manageable parts, validating the data integrity of the segments, and assembling it all when you have all the pieces is a solved problem...

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yikes, that is not good... That would explain why no matter what I have done, I have not received the NOA map update.

But how would this map update work for future updates though even if I have this fixed at a service center? Seems like the current method wastes a lot of data if it needs to start at zero each time the download is interrupted.

I thought transferring multi GB data in segments of manageable parts, validating the data integrity of the segments, and assembling it all when you have all the pieces is a solved problem...
See, once again they told me (lol) maps was stuck and the complete (well, from the menu, not pulling the 12V or anything...) would do it. That does make sense because a power down is more of a restart than just the reboot from the scroll wheels.

It could be corrupted of course, and need a PC connected to actually delete something.

But it gets to the point what they tell you is BS half the time since the first line people may have never touched a car (at least not the parts you are dealing with).

But it gets to the point what they tell you is BS half the time since the first line people may have never touched a car (at least not the parts you are dealing with).

Amen on that one. Totally agree with that statement. I can think of 2 occasions in the last couple of years where I called to tell them there is something I need done, and they ignore my request, ask a bunch of questions, and then tell me total non-sense. How do I know? Because they comment on something I actually have worked on! When I tell that to them, the tune suddenly changes to get someone else on the line to talk to me.

So I go to the factory to mention what I was told on the phone, and people roll their eyes like this is a common thing. Fortunately, much of the time, they are smart and quick to resolve an issue with the correct answer. I just wish they wouldn't guess if they don't know. Just say "I'm not sure." Or follow the script..... ok, some times the scripts give the wrong answer as well.

Reactions: croman

Good questions I have also asked the same ones and gotten no good answers. If I had to speculate, this particular map update was either different than before and/or hit some type of error condition they couldn't fix OTA. It has to be done at the service center or by a mobile tech and takes an hour or so to apply manually. Once the maps are in place, nav on AP will appear in your menus

Would turning the car off completely and turning it back on perhaps help me get this update?

I don't think so, I tried that a few days ago, still no map update. I chatted with another support rep who informed me that I "need at least 3 bars for the large map update".

They keep saying this crap, and the other post that says a corrupt update can cause it to permanently be unable to download maps until a service center visit is leading me to believe that maybe the software engineers have coded it to not download map updates unless there is a strong signal instead of doing their job and allowing it to pause/resume the update.

I have a service center visit scheduled pretty soon, if NoA doesn't work by then I'll ask them to load the maps on for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
I called Tesla service and they checked my car and said that the reason I have not received the new maps is because my Wifi Signal was too weak. She said the car was only getting 1-2 bars of reception (even though it shows 3) and not enough to enable a download. She said it must be connected to a wifi signal thats 3 or more bars for 12 hours before the maps will download. She offered a mobile tech to come to my house and do it, but I already ordered a Google home wifi system anyways, so once I get that installed tonight, hopefully that will do the trick.