Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation battery prediction doesn't factor in my driving habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've had my car I've noticed, to my detriment, that the projected arrival battery level on navigation is usually wrong because the car doesn't correct for my driving habits at all.

Here are the three cases:
If I drive the speed limit, the projected arrival percent holds steady.

If I drive slower, I'll gain projected arrival battery level over time.

If I drive faster than the speed limit, which is my usual case, projected arrival battery level dwindles over time. Over a full drive leg on a long trip I end up losing 10% - 15% extra from driving 80ish instead of 65.

I guess I find it bizarre that the car doesn't take your driving habits into account when it's making projections.

When I first got the car and didn't know to up add a secret magic amount of extra percent to every charging stop, I was almost running the car out of battery every leg of the trip. Barely limping to the next charge station.

Am I alone? Why doesn't my Tesla try to predict battery arrival values based on my average usual driving pattern, say +15mph?

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Lobstahz
If you engage navigation while you are driving at your desired speed, then the estimate will be based on that driving speed. I.e. bring it up to 80mph or whatever you like, then engage navigation and see what happens with the estimate as you get closer to the destination.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Physics is a harsh mistress, huh?
How does the car know how you're feeling that day? Does it know if you're going to want to be in the left lane or right lane or if there is going to be more traffic or open road (that one I guess it might). Does it know if it's going to be you or your wife or son driving that trip? What about wind? Extra wind is "artificial speed".

You do have a say in this in how much you charge. You don't have to leave right when the car says "Enough--time to go!" If you know you drive extra fast, charge longer to start with a higher buffer. The initial estimate is for kind of a neutral, average condition. If speeds are higher or more wind or rain or whatever, it will go down some and then find its stable point. It's not a big deal to just know that you should start with a 20 or 25% buffer instead of 15%.

Reactions: OBX John
As far as I know/can tell the nav includes the last 30 miles or so of your driving in its estimate. So if you have been driving consistently, and other conditions are unchanged, I'd expect a relatively accurate estimate. But we're only 5 MPH to 10 MPH above the limit. The only time I had a seriously optimistic estimate was when it started to rain heavily just as we were leaving a Supercharger. The nav wasn't expecting that. It took about 30 miles for the nav to settle into a new estimate.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Physics is a harsh mistress, huh?
How does the car know how you're feeling that day? Does it know if you're going to want to be in the left lane or right lane or if there is going to be more traffic or open road (that one I guess it might). Does it know if it's going to be you or your wife or son driving that trip? What about wind? Extra wind is "artificial speed".

You do have a say in this in how much you charge. You don't have to leave right when the car says "Enough--time to go!" If you know you drive extra fast, charge longer to start with a higher buffer. The initial estimate is for kind of a neutral, average condition. If speeds are higher or more wind or rain or whatever, it will go down some and then find its stable point. It's not a big deal to just know that you should start with a 20 or 25% buffer instead of 15%.

Gee Rocky, you beat me to it. Thinking the same thing. :D I guess the Tesla is still more accurate than an ICE car which predicts nothing o_O
Joking aside, my Model X has always very closely estimated my arrival percentage on long trips and short ones. Probably because I always enter in my destination and usually drive fairly consistently.

Just check in with the energy prediction chart from time to time to see how you’re performing against the original prediction and plan accordingly.

I’ve had EVs that try to guess range predictions based on recent behavior and they were universally awful.

Since I've had my car I've noticed, to my detriment, that the projected arrival battery level on navigation is usually wrong because the car doesn't correct for my driving habits at all.

Here are the three cases:
If I drive the speed limit, the projected arrival percent holds steady.

If I drive slower, I'll gain projected arrival battery level over time.

If I drive faster than the speed limit, which is my usual case, projected arrival battery level dwindles over time. Over a full drive leg on a long trip I end up losing 10% - 15% extra from driving 80ish instead of 65.

I guess I find it bizarre that the car doesn't take your driving habits into account when it's making projections.

When I first got the car and didn't know to up add a secret magic amount of extra percent to every charging stop, I was almost running the car out of battery every leg of the trip. Barely limping to the next charge station.

Am I alone? Why doesn't my Tesla try to predict battery arrival values based on my average usual driving pattern, say +15mph?

Thanks for reading.

When you first start navigating, the car assumes that you will drive the speed limit. Throughout your drive, the system will update your arrival estimate based on your current energy consumption. This adjustment period can take 30 minutes to really become accurate, but it shouldn't continue to dwindle for the entire drive unless you're experiencing other factors like increased head wind or cold weather.

If you consistently drive fast, just be aware that its initial estimate will be optimistic, followed by a gradual correction. Charge accordingly.

The "trip" tab in the energy app will adjust the estimate to your driving habits. I realize it doesn't consider past driving habits like the OP is requesting, but it's fairly real-time. You need to have a destination in the NAV for it to work, but it's a very powerful tool that I think many overlook or don't even know is there. I have seen countless "Tesla Roadtrip" videos where the presenter never mentions or shows the trip tab.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The "trip" tab in the energy app will adjust the estimate to your driving habits. I realize it doesn't consider past driving habits like the OP is requesting, but it's fairly real-time. You need to have a destination in the NAV for it to work, but it's a very powerful tool that I think many overlook or don't even know is there. I have seen countless "Tesla Roadtrip" videos where the presenter never mentions or shows the trip tab.
The Trip tab came first, but then once they added the % remaining estimate at the bottom of the Nav directions, it's that same information without having to look at a different second window to get it, so it's redundant now.
What I do hate, though, is that in version 9.0, they hide that % remaining unless you are in the zoomed out "whole trip" view. It's gone if you're in the zoomed in North Up or Forward Up view modes. That is infuriating.

The Trip tab came first, but then once they added the % remaining estimate at the bottom of the Nav directions, it's that same information without having to look at a different second window to get it, so it's redundant now.
What I do hate, though, is that in version 9.0, they hide that % remaining unless you are in the zoomed out "whole trip" view. It's gone if you're in the zoomed in North Up or Forward Up view modes. That is infuriating.

There's a way around this, but it's a little clunky and it won't work on the first leg of your trip. While Supercharging and before you have enough energy to reach your next destination, select your preferred view (north-up or heading-up) and click on CONTINUE TRIP. When you're done charging, the system will show all of your steps and the % remaining while also showing your preferred view. If you exit this combination of views, you won't be able to get back to in until your next charging session.

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you, @Big Earl . I appreciate the tip, but good grief, I can't believe we have to rely on what seems like a glitch in their implementation to get it back to the way it's supposed to be.
yes, amen. Nice tip. Now I am wondering that if I press a particular sequence of buttons on a Tuesday afternoon between the hours of 3-4 o'clock, while the temperature is exactly 75 degrees and the car is charging at precisely 62.5 amps, then I will discover some other trick. :rolleyes:
Gee, how does Earl figure that stuff out ?

Look at the information on the Energy Graphs, they will show you estimates based on current real averages.

Yep, 80 is definitely going to reduce your range. Your choice, stop more or slow down and get there faster. Someone did some math last year and 70 tends to be the most optimal speed for long distance runs.

Look at the information on the Energy Graphs, they will show you estimates based on current real averages.

Yep, 80 is definitely going to reduce your range. Your choice, stop more or slow down and get there faster. Someone did some math last year and 70 tends to be the most optimal speed for long distance runs.
Optimal speed is about 100mph in a Model 3 (assuming no supercharger congestion). Put a long trip into Abetterrouteplanner and up the speed. The new 145kW rate and taper will make it a bit faster. You've got to factor in tickets and jail time though which a Abetterrouteplanner does not do.