Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation says “stay straight” on interstate/shows next exit (pic) What?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Strange navigation behavior. When driving on the Interstate instead of showing the TRUN off and distance it will show the next exit and say “stay straight”. For instance in this pic I’m turning on I285 in about 5 miles but instead of showing this it has the next exit coming up and shows NOT to take it.

No other navigation that I have used does this. They all show and say the NEXT time you need to take an action (turn). I don’t want or need to have the Navigation telling me to “stay straight” at just about every exit. Also I want the display to show me how far to my next turn which is useful information. Does anyone know what this is about?

IMG_1244.jpeg

Most (I can't say all) navigation systems I have used work like this (or at least what I think is happening here). Whenever there is a major interchange (rather than just an exit), the navigation system will give a "keep on" instruction.

Now maybe this next exit is just a normal exit after all, and I can say that I don't get that for EVERY exit, just major interchanges. If you are truly seeing it at every exit, then yes, that is odd.

Reactions: KrenGrl
This seems to be the way it works for me in California in the SF Bay Area. For some major interchanges that we think are not significant, it will remind you to go straight when, "Duhh!" it is evident to us. For example, driving home on eastbound 580 near Pleasanton, California, after the interstate 680 freeway exit it will say "go straight" when I approach the Hacienda Drive turnoff (which is a two lane turnoff). Beyond that, it will behave normally again and tell me to get off at my exit on Santa Rita Road.
(Head Scratch!)

Just going off my memory it does it at all 4 of these intersections. Will compare to Apple Maps (and confirm which it does at) but all but sure it does't do it.

Also just for reference: The exit it was doing it on my OP in the 2ed pic.

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 10.01.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 10.05.39 AM.png

Ha !! I've noticed this for some time and have assumed it's when at or near 'intersections" that may seem to be questionable - even slightly. I treat it as a friend telling me to go straight - don't veer right (exit) or left (exit).
The problem is I like to see the distance before my turn (helpful info) and not just the short distance (confusing info) to the next exit (see my pic saying 0.7 miles instead of 5 miles). Plus don't like the unnecessary interruption "Stay Straight on xxxx".

If I have a friend that is a "back seat driver" and tells me to stay straight at every exit then I'll tell them to shut the hell up.:D

Also I'm thinking this is probably not something Tesla can fix. It is probably in the Navigation engine that Tesla licenses.

I think that it has to do with how the maps and roads get stitched together. For example, coming north from the airport, it's a completely straight stretch, but on the connector it keeps thinking that you are making turns. I've seen Garmin do the same thing.

Send a politely worded message to [email protected] and see if it can be adjusted.

Many nav systems will instruct to stay straight and major intersections. However that definition of major varies.

it could also be that the street name changes in the database to a different variation of the same name. This could also trigger a notification.

I have my nav voice muted so things like this don’t bother me so much.
Yes but I like to see the distance to the next turn. When you are in the HOV or far left it is nice to know your exit is in say 3 miles so you can plan on traffic and number of lanes when you need to start working you way over. When you look and see 0.5 miles instead of the expected 3 it can cause a mini panic.

The map data is from Google, so if you have a map data error, you'd want to report it via Google Maps. Also note that Tesla only updates the map data every few months, unlike Google Maps where it updates map data every time you request a new route.

The map data is from Google, so if you have a map data error, you'd want to report it via Google Maps. Also note that Tesla only updates the map data every few months, unlike Google Maps where it updates map data every time you request a new route.
The maps YES but not the Navigation engine.;) Looks like Navigation may be from TomTom.

It would still be using Google's data for the route instructions, regardless of what service is calculating said route, it would bug out really bad if it didn't...
The map data on our cars, at least in my part of Metro Atlanta, is indeed either coming from TomTom or from the same source that TomTom uses, and not Google, despite the Google visual overlay. From a post I made in another thread a few weeks ago:

A few months ago, I noticed that both Apple Maps and the Tesla navigation system both routed me in a very strange way near my house, as if the principal neighborhood road right by my house were closed or otherwise impassable. Google Maps has never made such errors in the five years I have lived here.

When I looked at the info page on Apple Maps, it indicated that the map data was coming from TomTom. So, I created a TomTom account on their map editor website, where, sure enough, my local street was marked as blocked. I submitted a correction and then went about my business.

Fast forward four or five months, to today. Maps version 2019.20 was pushed to my car this morning. On my commute home this evening, the car routed me via my local street that even yesterday it refused to use. Eureka!

It would therefore appear that, in my neck of the woods, at least, Tesla's system is getting at least some map data from TomTom, despite the screen's saying that it comes from Google. So, if you have map errors on your car, you might try reporting them here!

Map Share™ Reporter

Reactions: brkaus and JulienW
It would still be using Google's data for the route instructions, regardless of what service is calculating said route, it would bug out really bad if it didn't...
I'm pretty sure it uses TomTom's NavKit engine for most if not all navigation and Google is almost defiantly ONLY map overlay data. For instance Apple Maps uses TomTom for a lot of navigation (think they are moving in house) and on certain route it will tell me to turn on a road that is not there. My Model 3 does the same thing at the same place and Google Maps doesn't.

EDIT: evannole bet me to the post by a few seconds with about the same response.

Reactions: brkaus and evannole
I assume you're referring to the Delk exit? Yes, it does it there for me, too. A bit frustrating but I can deal with it.
No but close to it.:D For reference the second pic is of the Delk road exit in relation. When navigating to this LA Fitness they (Apple Maps and Tesla) tells me to turn left on (forget name) a road that is not there instead of going to the turn lane. When this happened I knew they had to be using the same engine.

EDIT: I see you quoted a different post of my than I thought. So the answer is yes that is one of the exits it will say "stay straight" at.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 6.18.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 6.22.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: evannole