Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation UI(lack of visual/audio cues, lane cues)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I wait for my MYP to be delivered(hopefully next month if not pushed back again) I am reading up as much as I can about some of the more minute details that I remembered from my test drive.
The biggest complaint I had on the test drive was in regards to the navigation. It seemed to me that it didn’t give verbal cues until very late, as I noticed this because I was test driving in an unfamiliar city. It also doesn’t give any audio/visual cues of what lanes to be in. I love that about both google and apple maps do. I kinda just figured the Tesla UI would do this as well. Are these not options, maybe my test drive car just had them turned off? Can you have it give the verbal cues farther in advance or give lane suggestions for those turns/exits?

...it didn’t give verbal cues until very late, as I noticed this because I was test driving in an unfamiliar city. It also doesn’t give any audio/visual cues of what lanes to be in. I love that about both google and apple maps do. I kinda just figured the Tesla UI would do this as well. Are these not options, maybe my test drive car just had them turned off? Can you have it give the verbal cues farther in advance or give lane suggestions for those turns/exits?

It's made in house so I don't expect it to be as good as the one from map experts who have been in 1 single business for decades.

There's no user adjustment to deal with late cues.

It does instructs which lanes to stay on. Again, it's not userconfigurable so what you see in 1 Tesla is what you get in another.

If you are that concerned, you might want to pay $10,000 for FSD and take Safety Score for FSD beta. You won't need warnings as it will make a turn or move to the correct lane for you.

It's made in house so I don't expect it to be as good as the one from map experts who have been in 1 single business for decades.

There's no user adjustment to deal with late cues.

It does instructs which lanes to stay on. Again, it's not userconfigurable so what you see in 1 Tesla is what you get in another.

If you are that concerned, you might want to pay $10,000 for FSD and take Safety Score for FSD beta. You won't need warnings as it will make a turn or move to the correct lane for you.
There is no way I am paying $10k for FSD. I’m also not going to give Tesla a pass on competing “with business with one single business for decades”. Apple Maps was released in like 2012 so it hasn’t even been 10 years. I really don’t understand why Tesla wouldn’t license google maps. Seems like something that would be a very simple fix.

Last edited:
There is no way I am paying $10k for FSD. I’m also not going to give Tesla a pass on competing “with business with one single business for decades”. Apple Maps was released in like 2012 so it hasn’t even been 10 years. I really don’t understand why Tesla wouldn’t license google maps. Seems like something that would be a very simple fix.

It was a big mess that resulted in iOS Chief and Maps Manager firings.

I expect the same firings in Tesla if it's serious about its Navigation system.

I suspect it's concentrating on mapping for the machine called FSD rather than pleasing humans who use the map User Interface.