Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation without Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question from someone scheduled to take delivery next week - do the traffic-based navigation features (online routing and "reroute if it saves more than ___") function without Premium Connectivity?

IE, does the premium connectivity do more for you (from a navigation standpoint) than merely show you the red and yellow lines for traffic congestion on the map? Do you still get the ability to automatically navigate around heavy traffic, even if it does draw pretty red and yellow lines on the map? Or do you have to pay for premium connectivity in order to get rerouted around heavy traffic?

And if so - and Google Maps or Waze on my phone reroutes me around heavy traffic, and I manually take that route, how quickly/smoothly does Tesla's navigation adjust ("recalculate") to my best new route?

Quick question from someone scheduled to take delivery next week - do the traffic-based navigation features (online routing and "reroute if it saves more than ___") function without Premium Connectivity?

IE, does the premium connectivity do more for you (from a navigation standpoint) than merely show you the red and yellow lines for traffic congestion on the map? Do you still get the ability to automatically navigate around heavy traffic, even if it does draw pretty red and yellow lines on the map? Or do you have to pay for premium connectivity in order to get rerouted around heavy traffic?

And if so - and Google Maps or Waze on my phone reroutes me around heavy traffic, and I manually take that route, how quickly/smoothly does Tesla's navigation adjust ("recalculate") to my best new route?
Not sure about traffic but your Model Y will come with free Premium Connectivity for a year so you have until July 2021 to find the answer.
Yes, you have options in the menu for navigating around traffic by selecting how much time you want to save before it reroutes you.

[If] Google Maps or Waze on my phone reroutes me around heavy traffic, and I manually take that route, how quickly/smoothly does Tesla's navigation adjust ("recalculate") to my best new route?

That's quick. Once you go another way, it takes only seconds for the Tesla navigation to calculate and show a new route.

Whether that route is the same as the one Google Maps or Waze proposes, is another question. Often it is, sometimes it isn't.

A little trick: If your phone navigates and is connected via Bluetooth, then you hear the phone's voice instructions through the Tesla's speakers. You can then mute the Tesla navigation voice by tapping the sprocket icon in the navigation window, then tap the speaker icon to mute it (without changing the loudness setting). Don't forget to unmute it when you later want to navigate by Tesla navigation again.

If you don't do this, then you hear both navigation voice instructions. Since they mostly do not come at the exact same time, this is also OK for a while. You can decide whether you like the cacophony of sometimes conflicting voice commands. :)

Can you just add it and cancel it from month to month as you feel like it?
I think it could be useful/fun/enjoyable anytime we take a long trip... but:
1. I already have a cellular data plan plenty big to cover my on-the-go music-and-podcast streaming data needs without this. So I don't need it for that.
2. I don't really plan to sit in my car, with it in park, and use the car as a "media center" very often except when I'm parked at a super-charger. And I don't really plan to be at a supercharger except when I am taking a trip.

Sure would be nice/fun on those long trips though...

Being retired one has to watch expenditures, but I have budgeted $10 for the Tesla Premium Connectivity Service and $9 per month for my SXM phone app. We bought the MY to take road trips and this seems like a must-have feature for road warriors.

Having said that if I don't find the Tesla PCS of much value I can cancel it.

Can you just add it and cancel it from month to month as you feel like it?
I think it could be useful/fun/enjoyable anytime we take a long trip... but:
1. I already have a cellular data plan plenty big to cover my on-the-go music-and-podcast streaming data needs without this. So I don't need it for that.
2. I don't really plan to sit in my car, with it in park, and use the car as a "media center" very often except when I'm parked at a super-charger. And I don't really plan to be at a supercharger except when I am taking a trip.

Sure would be nice/fun on those long trips though...
I believe you can subscribe and cancel anytime, but for your usage, i feel like you won't need it even for long trip unless you plan to stop for a long time at supercharger just to watch netflix.

the real usage is really for navigation with traffic and rerouting function. That will be the reason I keep it.

Reactions: imola.zhp
I believe you can subscribe and cancel anytime, but for your usage, i feel like you won't need it even for long trip unless you plan to stop for a long time at supercharger just to watch netflix.

the real usage is really for navigation with traffic and rerouting function. That will be the reason I keep it.

Thank you for this comment. My "commute" is 2.2 non-bike friendly miles, I wont need premium connectivity except for when we take trips.

Reactions: qingshan and Klau2

I was under the impression that the navigation system will still reroute you based on Traffic, even without premium connectivity, you just won't get the visual information on the screen, in the form of "red, yellow, green" roads, that traffic is the reason for the reroute...

I did pay the (hefty) price for FSD, so if $10 a month makes FSD more effective by rerouting me around traffic, that would be a pretty compelling reason to keep it...

I was under the impression that the navigation system will still reroute you based on Traffic, even without premium connectivity, you just won't get the visual information on the screen, in the form of "red, yellow, green" roads, that traffic is the reason for the reroute...

I did pay the (hefty) price for FSD, so if $10 a month makes FSD more effective by rerouting me around traffic, that would be a pretty compelling reason to keep it...
nope, here is a link from tesla showing the difference between the 2. regular navigation is pretty all you get without premium connection. you need data for traffic rerouting since that is a live feed. no premium connection, no data, no traffic info.

Connectivity

nope, here is a link from tesla showing the difference between the 2. regular navigation is pretty all you get without premium connection. you need data for traffic rerouting since that is a live feed. no premium connection, no data, no traffic info.

Connectivity

Unless I'm missing something, here's a direct quote taken from that link:
"Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization."

To me, I think that means standard connectivity still gets rerouted based on traffic... Just without a traffic "visualization"... Potentially leaving you to wonder WHY your GPS is rerouting you (unless you have Waze or Google maps going on your phone in parallel and then you maybe know why)...

Unless I'm missing something, here's a direct quote taken from that link:
"Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization."

To me, I think that means standard connectivity still gets rerouted based on traffic... Just without a traffic "visualization"... Potentially leaving you to wonder WHY your GPS is rerouting you (unless you have Waze or Google maps going on your phone in parallel and then you maybe know why)...
o man, you might be right. I just read traffic and didn't read it more carefully. It does say traffic visualization. Haha, this just gives me more reason not to renew premium once my free year is up.

It would be nice if somebody could confirm that it really re-routes due to traffic without premium connectivity. The manual is not always 100% reliable.
Before I traded in my M3 for the MY, I only had standard connectivity and the navigation would definitely present re-routing options when using navigation. You just don't get the traffic visualizations.