Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I certainly understand why you are cautious with deliveries... just wanted to understand the reasons.

As for your "rant" about SGA.... I translated the timing of cutting workforce for myself as being carefully engineered: It happened so late in the quarter there would be almost no positive impact in Q2, but all the negatives (severance) would hit that Q. As in, it`s gonna be our last quarter in red anyway, let`s throw in everything negative to make sure Q3 starts with less of a burden.

So i expect all positive impacts of that move to start hitting the books in Q3. How much will it actually mean? No idea. They made it sound like mostly white collar executive jobs, so probably relatively good pay/high impact. Could be 15-20 million per month if we go with 3500 jobs and avg 5k+ per month.

i hope you are right. june 11/12 is very late in the quarter. but there were other things too that should have reduced opex, barnacle scrub, expense scrutiny, etc. if we assume each provided a 1% headwind to opex in the quarter, then all-else equal opex excluding restructuring should have dropped 3% on a non-gaap basis (1% for late in quarter workforce cuts, 1% for barnacle scrub, 1% for expense scrutiny). what we got instead was about a 3% increase (excluding one time items and jump in stock based comp).

it means the opex excluding cost actions was probably growing at 5-6% / quarter. if that repeats it will entirely offset the gains from workforce reduction and we'll be looking at the flat "non-gaap" opex they guided. but i hope you are right and i am wrong.

2k model 3's should not make so much difference, right? 2k x 60k = 120m revenue x 16% gross margin = approx 20m in additional gross profit or around 10c/diluted share.

Contribution profits per incremental unit must be estimated based on contribution margin, not gross margin, and contribution margin of a $60,000+ ASP Model 3 is a lot higher than 16 percent, and likely even higher than the 38 percent estimated by Munro & Associates based on a $55k LR+PUP.

Last edited:
i hope you are right. june 11/12 is very late in the quarter. but there were other things too that should have reduced opex, barnacle scrub, expense scrutiny, etc. if we assume each provided a 1% headwind to opex in the quarter, then all-else equal opex excluding restructuring should have dropped 3% on a non-gaap basis (1% for late in quarter workforce cuts, 1% for barnacle scrub, 1% for expense scrutiny). what we got instead was about a 3% increase (excluding one time items and jump in stock based comp).

it means the opex excluding cost actions was probably growing at 5-6% / quarter. if that repeats it will entirely offset the gains from workforce reduction and we'll be looking at the flat "non-gaap" opex they guided. but i hope you are right and i am wrong.
Nah... I usually end up being too optimistic.

What causes recession? Trump has canceled salary hikes for federal employees, so after inflation adjustments, those employees will be making less next year than this year. Russia has increased the retirement age to save on pensions. Are these canaries in the coal mine?

Reactions: neroden
What causes recession? Trump has canceled salary hikes for federal employees, so after inflation adjustments, those employees will be making less next year than this year. Russia has increased the retirement age to save on pensions. Are these canaries in the coal mine?

rate hikes or trade wars would probably be good scapegoats if it happened.

So I certainly understand why you are cautious with deliveries... just wanted to understand the reasons.

As for your "rant" about SGA.... I translated the timing of cutting workforce for myself as being carefully engineered: It happened so late in the quarter there would be almost no positive impact in Q2, but all the negatives (severance) would hit that Q. As in, it`s gonna be our last quarter in red anyway, let`s throw in everything negative to make sure Q3 starts with less of a burden.

So i expect all positive impacts of that move to start hitting the books in Q3. How much will it actually mean? No idea. They made it sound like mostly white collar executive jobs, so probably relatively good pay/high impact. Could be 15-20 million per month if we go with 3500 jobs and avg 5k+ per month.
I don't have anywhere near the detail that you guys do on this financial analysis, but this was my impression too. I did not expect to see much financial benefit for Q2 from the trimming that was done, but would be very surprised not to see the improvement in Q3.

electrek noted yesterday they are trying to build out a delivery department (oh hello more opex).

First, thanks for another excellent contribution on your financial model. Regarding the delivery department build, I suspect this was already in the plan (basically, I find it hard for them to plan for 50 k deliveries in q3 without figuring out the logistical needs in advance). If Opex guidance for Q3 was "essentially flat", I think some of the savings in the barnacle scrub would probably be offset here. Simplistic view I know but that's my take anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
we'll get some more data after the insideev's august estimates. but i think they are having problems with deliveries.
They probably are; I'm assuming only a modest decrease in cars in transit (maybe from 11K to 10K, for example).

at the end of august, maybe they got to 16-17k deliveries? that would be a substantial 20% month over month improvement. electrek noted yesterday they are trying to build out a delivery department (oh hello more opex).

2k model 3's should not make so much difference, right? 2k x 60k = 120m revenue x 16% gross margin = approx 20m in additional gross profit or around 10c/diluted share. diluted share counts should jump due to profits to 180m.
Yes, this is about what I was estimating. I think the difference between 9c/diluted share and 19c/diluted shares is actually going to be meaningful to the Wall Street traders, thoough.

I think ~52k produced is pretty solid (based on Troy's spreadsheet). The interesting thing is that this gives enough room so that if you're overoptimistic about Services and Other -- and you said it could amount to an 18c/share swing -- the company will still show a profit (01c/share).

<rant>
i didn't mean the work is burning me out, i meant that the constant need to revise numbers lower one quarter after another is what's burning me out. there's another thing which bugs me, which is the readiness with which shortsellers are blamed for various problems. in the past when i have seen this by a company it almost always means there's not enough self-reflection going on: rather than finding problems internally the problems are all cast as caused by dark outside forces.
I suppose it's a matter of perspective whether malware in the paint shop robots is caused by internal problems (yes, poor hiring practices / poor security / poor management oversight) or dark outside forces (yes, saboteurs planted in the factory). Both really...

i try to recall a case in 20 years of investing where this has been a good thing, but struggle to do so.

most professional shorts don't put on adequately large individual positions to matter. oft-cited villain chanos maybe has a 2-4% short allocation to tesla, at best. touting their best shorts is to raise visibility to attract more capital, if they get the call right. in fact, in some cases they don't even have to get the direction right to get paid, as long as the stock underperforms the index they still get paid. i guess what i'm saying is that on a $2b short book, the total bet might be $80m. if the stock drops 50% and the manager adds to the position, the profit might be $80m. at 1/20 hedge fund fees, the incremental profit contribution to the firm is like $16m. and while that may seem like a lot of money, it's really not in the grand scheme of things. i bet i know 4 individuals who put together have more at risk on the long side than $16m.

that's not to say there haven't been short villains (sac capital comes to mind). but the vast majority of professional shorts simply don't have bets large enough to bother, many are not dirty players either. so when a saboteur comes around, why aren't labor unions, other automakers, oil proxies, or foreign governments suspected? all of those actors have much more to gain than probably 99% of shorts.
True.

i guess this especially bugs me in the context of opex, which i still don't understand. i mentioned it before: we scraped the barnacles. we scrutinized all the expense items. we laid of 9% of the workforce. we took out one-time charges due to layoffs. and we even excluded the stock-based comp jump from the calculations. and after all that, expenses went up about 3% for the quarter. there's definitely more upside opex pressure than i had expected.
</rant>
Well, I think we don't have a lot of clarity on the internals in opex. I have been expecting a large opex increase when they *finally* get the service centers ramped up, which they haven't really *started* doing yet, but this does seem to be somewhere else. Hmm.

recession has been on my mind a lot lately. weakness is developing in emerging markets due to currency issues. european equities have not made new highs since may. and mega caps in the usa have been on a monster run which is somewhat typical of the action near the end of a bull market. related to tesla, they are in a situation where they need to get the pedal to the floor and keep it there. payables expansion is great for cash flow but when there's a slow down it bites the other way, and luxury car sales tend to be sensitive to slowdowns. last thing, at present 2/3 of our models are cars. and the existing trend for car sales is:
View attachment 330629
can you imagine how this looks in a slowdown?
It'll be fine. (For Tesla. Some of the gas car makers may go under completely.) My most fundamental Tesla investment thesis is that people will buy a Tesla in preference to a gasoline car, and that demand will not drop off until nobody is selling gasoline cars in the same price bracket. The Ford Model T expanded its sales *during* recessions, remember, and didn't start being hurt by downturns until market saturation for motorcars was reached. If we hit market saturation sooner than I think (because the "other guys" make millions of electric cars) that would be different -- but that still seems extremely implausible.

Frankly, I'm not expecting a recession or bear market any time soon. There are two reasons, one fundamental and one psychological:
(1) The psychological -- too many people are expecting a recession or bear market. The psychological collapse happens when exuberance is the order of the day and *nobody* is expecting a bear market. Waaaay too much gloom-n-doom on the business press right now.
(2) The fundamental -- the solar / wind / battery boom is an economic boost on the order of the introduction of the railroads. You don't typically get a recession with such a powerful economic driver happening -- not until there's actual overbuilding of solar / wind / batteries beyond practical needs, which we have not come close to. Even if you *do*, it is a recession which spares the sector which is driving the boom (just as Ford continued to boom during recessions as motor-car adoption took off and replaced horses and buggies.)

i guess this especially bugs me in the context of opex, which i still don't understand. i mentioned it before: we scraped the barnacles. we scrutinized all the expense items. we laid of 9% of the workforce. we took out one-time charges due to layoffs. and we even excluded the stock-based comp jump from the calculations. and after all that, expenses went up about 3% for the quarter. there's definitely more upside opex pressure than i had expected.
</rant>
I am as frustrated as you are. However, I feel you're wrong on the opex. There is no way barnacles (contractors) were scrubbed in time to affect anything in Q2, other than 9% of the workforce, but that was tin the mid of the quarter, so effect would be only about 50%

What causes recession?

The other day I caught myself thinking- the current car loan debt in the US is over a 1tn. So, many ICE cars bough on credit or leased, have a value attached to them that projects certain depreciation of the cars. However, as projected from experts- when the EV demand explodes (not necessary with enough supply to cover ii- simply people stopping buying ICE vehicles), the price of the new ICE cars will decrease. That will lead to shrink in the value of the old cars, leading to faster than anticipated depreciation for millions of cars.

I can imagine that in this scenario, many financial instruments related to the car loans will decrease significantly.

Anyone with better idea, if that is a correct line of thought and if it can lead to significant impact on the general economy?

The other day I caught myself thinking- the current car loan debt in the US is over a 1tn. So, many ICE cars bough on credit or leased, have a value attached to them that projects certain depreciation of the cars. However, as projected from experts- when the EV demand explodes (not necessary with enough supply to cover ii- simply people stopping buying ICE vehicles), the price of the new ICE cars will decrease. That will lead to shrink in the value of the old cars, leading to faster than anticipated depreciation for millions of cars.

I can imagine that in this scenario, many financial instruments related to the car loans will decrease significantly.

Anyone with better idea, if that is a correct line of thought and if it can lead to significant impact on the general economy?

Leases are typically 3 year, so they are only impacted to the extent the ICE market shifts more than expected during during that time. Banks that foresee EV induced residual reduction will cause higher payments for new leases potentially shifting the demand to purchasing.

Purchased vehicles that are kept long term are fairly unaffected by depreciation/ resale value since they are kept for utility.

Worst off may be people who buy and hold onto their cars, but then have a serious accident which totals the vehicle. The buyout would be based on current value and with EV forced lower resale, provides less payout to finally get a Tesla.

The Model T was much cheaper than other cars. I don’t believe it is analogous.
It took Ford a while to get the nominal cost of the Model T down as well. They started at $22,471 in 1909 and managed to get the T down to $4,459 by 1921.

Ford Model T - Wikipedia

The sales and cost of the 3/T look surprisingly similar so far. They both started with relatively low volume at what I'm guessing was higher per unit profit for the first couple years. Time will tell with the SR 3, but I'm guessing Tesla will also significantly increase production when it's launched.

recession has been on my mind a lot lately. weakness is developing in emerging markets due to currency issues. european equities have not made new highs since may. and mega caps in the usa have been on a monster run which is somewhat typical of the action near the end of a bull market. related to tesla, they are in a situation where they need to get the pedal to the floor and keep it there. payables expansion is great for cash flow but when there's a slow down it bites the other way, and luxury car sales tend to be sensitive to slowdowns. last thing, at present 2/3 of our models are cars. and the existing trend for car sales is:
View attachment 330629
can you imagine how this looks in a slowdown?
I dunno. I would think in a slowdown people might stop buying $80,000 luxury pickups and start buying $35,000 sedans again.

mostly that i'm dumb enough to believe guidance and also i expect a surge to get in before $7500 credit gets slashed.
I’m layman and I don’t know, how accurate these stats
Tesla Shines In Global Plug-In Electric Car Sales Stats For July
are, but according to those, Tesla sold 5976 s+x combined in july. So with that pace combined s+x sales q3 would be 17 928. Your model predicts combined s+x sales 27 000. I don’t have any competence to evaluate your number, but I just point out, that the difference is large.

Last edited:
InsideEVs estimates have a tendency to show low deliveries in the first month of a quarter and high deliveries in the third month of a quarter. (Tesla only releases quarterly data, so InsideEVs numbers are guesswork. In this case they're running off Jose Pontes's sources, which are still guesswork but tend to be pretty accurate.)

So far it looks like US deliveries for S & X are slightly ahead of deliveries last year, so barring something really weird going on internationally, we should expect Q3 to look like Q3 last year. Q3 S&X global deliveries last year was 25930, so 27000 does seem a little high. Is this based in the belief that Tesla reduced S/X deliveries in Q2 for tax credit reasons and pushed them into Q3? Q2 2017 was 22000, while Q2 2018 was 22264, so I don't think this is justified. Or is it simply based on the expected 100K/year, and the difficulty of putting out 31000 cars in Q4? Because that would seem hard....

I'd probably conservatively estimate 26000 S & X delivered (same as last year). Anyway, we'll see in a month.