Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I listened to it personally and the redid the beginning two paragraphs with what the translator says word for word, I think it provides a little more clarity.

35 gWh initial investment has been completed already and as for the operating rate or the utilization rate as was mentioned by Elon is maybe 24 gWh currently. And this year we want to increase this (utilization) rather significantly.

One is including the lines that have yet to start we have 3 fast/higher speed lines and when they become operational we will see improved efficiency. And when we shifted from (some number that sounds like 68500 at the 34:10 mark) to others we were not really able do sufficient verification of the facilities and we saw disruptions (problems) and we (now) know the reasons and so in June we will start replacing the jigs, and therefore the number of cells and the yield will improve quite a bit.
Thanks for this. This doesn't sound like the problem has been fixed or will be fixed for Q2. Beginning to feel the deliveries will come lower than guidance.

Thanks for this. This doesn't sound like the problem has been fixed or will be fixed for Q2. Beginning to feel the deliveries will come lower than guidance.

The average battery pack size should be substantially lower in Q2, due to the wide availability of the SR+, so unit production should increase even if battery cell production doesn’t.

That should shift concern from vehicles produced/delivered to margins. The FCA pooling agreement should be very helpful there, with the per-car credit (roughly 5k euro?) doing much more to juice the margins of SR+ than the AWD or the P.

The average battery pack size should be substantially lower in Q2, due to the wide availability of the SR+, so unit production should increase even if battery cell production doesn’t.

That should shift concern from vehicles produced/delivered to margins. The FCA pooling agreement should be very helpful there, with the per-car credit (roughly 5k euro?) doing much more to juice the margins of SR+ than the AWD or the P.
If US ASP has stabilized around 50k it will be the EU ASP that would be going down as they start getting SR+. Is China getting SR+ yet ?

Basically for every 2 LR Model 3, Tesla can make 3 SR+ (~50 kwh and 80 kwh). We'll have to play around with this to see how much more Tesla could make in Q2.

BTW, are people in agreement that the battery production hasn't improved in Q2 ?

I dont see why that would be the case sounds like batteries are sufficient for current production levels, what was guidance for Q2 something like 90k cars overall?

Basically I don't think the cell production has improved much at all in Q2. So, I was saying, 3 production won't improve either (except as stated above when SR+ replaces LR).

Reactions: neroden
If US ASP has stabilized around 50k it will be the EU ASP that would be going down as they start getting SR+. Is China getting SR+ yet ?

Basically I don't think the cell production has improved much at all in Q2. So, I was saying, 3 production won't improve either (except as stated above when SR+ replaces LR).

SR+ is available in China.

It sounded like based off Elons tweets that Panasonic just got to 24Gwh run rate at the end of Q1 so no nothing in Q2. Except for maybe some potential runs of the 24 to 35Gwh equipment.

The weekly production rate was roughly 4.8k avg for Q1, assuming production got better at the end of the month with switching and by all accounts it has then Model 3 production should improve into the 5's. 5.3k a week gets them 70k Model 3's produced.

Batteries at a 24Gwh run rate weekly should not be a constraint on 5.3k 3's a week, if they are truly hitting 24Gwh (or 23) now then they can support 7k a week with a 65kwh avg pack

• Informative
Reactions: Vaamo and neroden
Batteries at a 24Gwh run rate weekly should not be a constraint on 5.3k 3's a week, if they are truly hitting 24Gwh (or 23) now then they can support 7k a week with a 65kwh avg pack
That's right. I hope Tesla can make 6k/wk and produce 78k Model 3s in Q2. This is my optimistic estimate. This will allow them to sell about 70k 3s and build the pipeline a little bit too.

So according to Elon the cell production was much less than 24GWh in Q1 - so they could only make 63k 3s.

• Informative
From my understanding, what Elon meant is that at the end of Q1 the production rate was 24GWh/year.

Some quick math:
24/4*10^9/65000=92307.69 cars/quarter

Maybe 10% of that is going into Tesla Energy but hopefully Panasonic can increase the rate during the quarter.

I feel like this is very important information that shouldn't be lost in the rubble of the investor discussion thread.
This is super important. It confirms the yield problems but says that Panasonic believes they know how to fix them and are fixing them, but they won't be fixed until June. So "Full yield" not until Q3.

CFO reiterated in the ER that they will get back to 25% margin as production increases. Why do you say new goal is 20% ?
Notes I read from the fund-raising call said that. Might be a misquote. Everyone agrees he told analysts to stop nitpicking on margins and focus on the glorious robotaxi future. I read that as a strong signal margins will be lower.

they paid $300 million (475-175) upfront in call options to prevent dilution going forward, so in essence its about a upfront 16% hedge fee with 2% on going interest.
It's a call spread, so it protects against dilution to 607.50. Curiously, shareholders suffer double-dilution above 607.50. Well, except Musk. That's the point where his comp package kicks in and gives him a boatload of new shares. Normal metrics for a convert would have warrant strike around 460 with only single dilution. That would have brought in roughly the same 175m, but Musk would have suffered dilution along with his fellow shareholders.

Anyway, cost to hedge dilution entirely is ~8.6%:
1840 - 476 = 1364 net proceeds
1364 with 18.4 semi-annual coupon and 1840 due on maturity = 8.6% APR
It's actually a bit higher since underwriting fees reduce net proceeds. This is in line with the 2025 bonds which trade around a 8.4% ytm.

Selling the 607.50 warrants reduces their cash APR to 5.9% (~6% including fees). They should recognize something close to the 8.6% as interest expense, though. That's about 30m the first few quarters climbing to ~40m the last quarter. The old converts were about 11m the last few quarters.

Notes I read from the fund-raising call said that. Might be a misquote. Everyone agrees he told analysts to stop nitpicking on margins and focus on the glorious robotaxi future. I read that as a strong signal margins will be lower.
If the margins won't improve - and ASP keeps going down, Tesla won't make a profit even if they sell 100k a quarter. Infact, they have to sell 125k for break-even.

If the margins won't improve - and ASP keeps going down, Tesla won't make a profit even if they sell 100k a quarter. Infact, they have to sell 125k for break-even.

Even if variable costs stay constant, fixed cost per vehicle decreases with volume. Thus margin cannot stay constant unless one of those costs increases. Further, gross vehicle profit improves with volume at the same margin. So, unless something on expense side moves in kind, margin should improve along with profit as volume increases.

Reactions: kbM3
Even if variable costs stay constant, fixed cost per vehicle decreases with volume. Thus margin cannot stay constant unless one of those costs increases. Further, gross vehicle profit improves with volume at the same margin. So, unless something on expense side moves in kind, margin should improve along with profit as volume increases.
Unless, the volume is basically coming from lower margin trims - like SR+.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo

My math, assuming fixed costs of about $6B/year, says 100K Model S/X + 400K Model 3/Y gets to breakeven with a 20% GM, ASP of $50K on the Model 3/Y, and ASP of $100K on the Model S/X.

This is very rough, but there's no point in more precision than that. 100K Model S/X is pretty reliable and the ASP going to be about right (worldwide) for a long time.

The important point is that they need to get to that 10K/week production level, which they won't hit until Shanghai is in full production and the Fremont/Sparks bottlenecks are resolved. That gives them 500K Model 3/year, then they're set.

Reactions: Drax7 and kbM3
Tesla isn't going to sell 400K Model 3 this year. It's already mid may. Strong demand is surprisingly shallow in every new market Tesla enters with the model 3.

Evidence, as opposed to hope, suggests we are still in a pre mass market EV world.

The "production bottlenecks" in Fremont are suspensions to save labor expense.

He's speaking in generalized terms, not making predictions for 2019. Just divide it by 4 and thats what Tesla needs to do a quarter roughly.

I don't think they will be selling 750k M3's yearly but everyone making assumptions on demand are jumping the gun way too soon. They made their first international deliveries roughly a 1 month ago.

Since they don't advertise demand is going to be generated by word of mouth. We won't see true demand for this car till the end of the year. Thats why delivery experiences and having good service experiences are important, your customer is your advertising team.

It's a call spread, so it protects against dilution to 607.50. Curiously, shareholders suffer double-dilution above 607.50. Well, except Musk. That's the point where his comp package kicks in and gives him a boatload of new shares. Normal metrics for a convert would have warrant strike around 460 with only single dilution. That would have brought in roughly the same 175m, but Musk would have suffered dilution along with his fellow shareholders.

Anyway, cost to hedge dilution entirely is ~8.6%:
1840 - 476 = 1364 net proceeds
1364 with 18.4 semi-annual coupon and 1840 due on maturity = 8.6% APR
It's actually a bit higher since underwriting fees reduce net proceeds. This is in line with the 2025 bonds which trade around a 8.4% ytm.

Selling the 607.50 warrants reduces their cash APR to 5.9% (~6% including fees). They should recognize something close to the 8.6% as interest expense, though. That's about 30m the first few quarters climbing to ~40m the last quarter. The old converts were about 11m the last few quarters.

So when does the call spread execute?

The 18.4 semi annual figure, how did you come up with that? The 16% hedge fee plus the interest?

Tesla isn't going to sell 400K Model 3 this year. It's already mid may. Strong demand is surprisingly shallow in every new market Tesla enters with the model 3.

Evidence, as opposed to hope, suggests we are still in a pre mass market EV world.

That's ludicrous nonsense.

We now know from the horse's mouth at Panasonic that they failed to deliver the number of battery cells they were supposed to. Production bottlenecks are real. Believe it.

Demand is infinite. Supply is limited.

Tesla and Panasonic are actually not doing so well at ramping up production. They're doing better than everyone else, but they are missing their goals quite massively.

That's ludicrous nonsense.

We now know from the horse's mouth at Panasonic that they failed to deliver the number of battery cells they were supposed to. Production bottlenecks are real. Believe it.

Demand is infinite. Supply is limited.

Tesla and Panasonic are actually not doing so well at ramping up production. They're doing better than everyone else, but they are missing their goals quite massively.

Why am I quoted two week delivery on a new model 3?

What's the evidence for your statement that demand is shallow in every new market for the model 3? Do we really have enough information to conclude that? I don't think we can even say what U.S. demand looks like yet. We are just now coming into the heavy car sales season. It seems to me that we should have a solid idea of model 3 demand by Q3.