Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You missed the deep recession point. News out of China is that people are working and manufacturing - but not consuming much.

Also Audi sells less than BMW or Merc in US. But sells most in China - that's why I used that number.

Model 3 sold 80k in Q3 '19 and 90k in Q4 '19. Out of that ~ 10k was in China - so lets say ~ 75k ex-China. 30% reduction on that would be ~ 50k. Out of this we should probably expect some amount of Model Y cannibalization.

With regards to China, even if people buy less cars there, I'm not too worried for Tesla. Although it's somewhat of a guess at this point, I think they'll probably need on the order of 1.5 Gigafactories to saturate demand there long term, perhaps 2 Gigafactories.

For Fremont, my math was 350k per year = 87.5k per quarters, so 65k is an about 25% reduction. Combined with Tesla being demand constrained before, means it's probably more like 30%. You're right that I didn't subtract China numbers from that 87.5k, so that invalidates my math. By the way, where did you get the 10k/quarter to China number from?

Like I said, I can see how you'd be more bearish on Fremont. Although I'd be surprised to see more than 15% downside from those numbers, unless things really get out of hand. Perhaps something like ~12k S+X and 50-55k M3 from Fremont in a worst case excluding more large scale complete shut downs.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
By the way, where did you get the 10k/quarter to China number from?
I don't have good numbers for China. Q3 '19 - I've 7.5k Model 3s. Assuming about 10k for Q4.

Given that they sold 10k in March - I think ~ 30k per quarter is a decent bearish number for Model 3 sales in China. 65k would be my bullish number. Once they start making Y in China and the recession ends, they can look at > 100k per quarter.

BTW, we should definitely consider possibility of further lockdown etc in China too, though I think they will fare better than US/EU. Already they shutdown gyms in Shanghai yesterday (?).

Last edited:
  • Informative
I don't have good numbers for China. Q3 '19 - I've 7.5k Model 3s. Assuming about 10k for Q4.

Given that they sold 10k in March - I think ~ 30k per quarter is a decent bearish number for Model 3 sales in China. 65k would be my bullish number. Once they start making Y in China and the recession ends, they can look at > 100k per quarter.

BTW, we should definitely consider possibility of further lockdown etc in China too, though I think they will fare better than US/EU. Already they shutdown gyms in Shanghai yesterday (?).

30k per quarter without further lock downs, and including the LR variant? There's just no way. Tesla has the best information about demand, and they are pushing ahead ASAP with an increase in production to 5k/week.

Furthermore, looking at comparisons to US and EU market, it makes 0 sense. Tesla sells ~25k much more expensive M3 per quarter in EU without localized production, and 45k per quarter in US. Competition all sells more in China than in EU/US, so Tesla should as well.

30k per quarter without further lock downs, and including the LR variant? There's just no way. Tesla has the best information about demand, and they are pushing ahead ASAP with an increase in production to 5k/week.

Furthermore, looking at comparisons to US and EU market, it makes 0 sense. Tesla sells ~25k much more expensive M3 per quarter in EU without localized production, and 45k per quarter in US. Competition all sells more in China than in EU/US, so Tesla should as well.
Musk just like many other CEOs and Trump hasn’t considered the bearish scenarios.

BTW, do we know they are not making 3 for other markets in China. Also you don’t seem to be considering that there will be a big recession in China as well. Don’t you think it will have some impact on the auto market ?

Last edited:
Musk just like many other CEOs and Trump hasn’t considered the bearish scenarios.

BTW, do we know they are not making 3 for other markets in China. Also you don’t seem to be considering that there will be a big recession in China as well. Don’t you think it will have some impact on the auto market ?

I think he's planned for the worst case scenarios. He was noting forecasts were barring force majeure on the last call. He seemed to be anticipating a black swan and they raised cash accordingly.

I think we just have somewhat different viewpoints on this. I kind of see where you're coming from, and agree that most of your scenarios are possible, but I think I attach different likelihoods to those scenarios than you do.

Things are going great in China at present:- JPR007 on Twitter

LR RWD M3s are sold out for June delivery. Demand is sky high.

While that might change through to the end of Q2, is crunch time when Tesla really needs China..

China could eventually make cars for export to other Asian markets, that makes a lot of sense.

With COVID-19 there is a lot of uncertainty, but IMO Tesla is mostly better placed than other car makers... and COVID-19 will not last forever.

• Informative
Where are the predictions? This used to be a treasure trove of insightful information.

Just me this time:

I've finished my Q1'20 earnings forecast. For the reasoning behind my decisions, please refer to my blog.

Summary

• Automotive Revenue = $4.96B
    • Automotive Sales Gross Margin Excluding Credits = 18.3%
    • Automotive Sales Gross Margin Including Credits = 20.9%
    • Total Revenue = $6.05B
    • Gross Profit = $1.08B
    • EBIT = $70M
    • GAAP Proft = -$150M
    • GAAP EPS = -$0.78
    • Non-GAAP EPS = $0.78
    • Free Cash Flow = $25M

Energy

View attachment 532178

Automotive

View attachment 532173
View attachment 532174
View attachment 532175

Income

View attachment 532179

View attachment 532197

Cash Flows

View attachment 532176
View attachment 532177

The early April e-mail regarding salary cuts and furloughs didn't address it explicitly, but does anybody have thoughts on whether Q1's stock-based compensation will be impacted, especially the accrual for Musk's big bonus?

The early April e-mail regarding salary cuts and furloughs didn't address it explicitly, but does anybody have thoughts on whether Q1's stock-based compensation will be impacted, especially the accrual for Musk's big bonus?
I believe they announced a hold on all stock-based compensation (including Elon's) for the time being.

Stock based comp is recognized over the period in which it is earned, not when it is granted. Most option grants are therefore recognized (expensed) ratably over 4 years, assuming vesting terms of 25% per year with a 1 yr cliff. So I do not expect stock comp expense to change in Q1 due to this. It might decrease slightly in Q2, but not too significantly as the majority of the expense would be from expense in options granted in prior quarters. I would expect stock based comp to be closer to $220M in Q1, as their last Q4 letter said $72M of Q4's expense ($281M) was a one time expense.

Yahoo is showing an avg analyst non-GAAP EPS of -0.36.

@FrankSG shows an EPS of + 0.78.

My model has an eps of + 0.33. I've not spent a lot of time on the model - gven all the uncertainties.

tesla20q1pandl.png

Last edited:
- GAAP profit!
- Cash exceeds recourse debt!
- 282m reg credits. That's over 3000 per car. It'd be nice to know if that's recurring/FCA or a one-time cookie jar maneuver.
- AR almost flat despite very low deliveries in the final week of the quarter. That's quite a mystery.
- Inventory up almost 1b. About 675m is new cars, the rest is...?
- Capex still suspiciously low considering GF3 is now fully operational. 10-Q may shed light. Or not.
- 4b AP will suck up a lot of that cash.

EDIT: reg credits rev was 354m, over 4000 per car. Thanks for the correction @EVNow .

Last edited:
- 282m reg credits. That's over 3000 per car. It'd be nice to know if that's recurring/FCA or a one-time cookie jar maneuver.
282m ?

354m vs 133m in Q4. This accounts for almost all of the difference between my model and actuals ! Not disclosing FCA deal adds a lot of volatility. But this has the look of a "made up" profit. A tiny profit and a huge revenue line with unknown future.

282m ?

354m vs 133m in Q4. This accounts for almost all of the difference between my model and actuals ! Not disclosing FCA deal adds a lot of volatility. But this has the look of a "made up" profit. A tiny profit and a huge revenue line with unknown future.
Tesla unloaded credit last year Q1 too

upload_2020-4-29_15-28-6.png

AR almost flat despite very low deliveries in the final week of the quarter. That's quite a mystery.
@EVNow .

From the call, AR includes Regulatory Credit, probably from FCA?

Last edited:
sorry fin statements 101 here dumb question

why FCF take such a drastic hit from q4 to -895m
of which net cash flow used in op activities -440mm plus the expected capex of 455m

but cash up 1.7bb to 8b

because of the jump of nearly 1bb in inventory?

pls help me understand. thanks.

sorry fin statements 101 here dumb question

why FCF take such a drastic hit from q4 to -895m
of which net cash flow used in op activities -440mm plus the expected capex of 455m

but cash up 1.7bb to 8b

because of the jump of nearly 1bb in inventory?

pls help me understand. thanks.

I was also surprised it was that low. As expected the increase in inventory weighed heavily on cash flows, but I expected that to the tune of -$750M, so the -$950M due to inventory was only -$200M more than I expected.

We'll have to wait for the 10-Q to find out exactly what other factors impacted the FCF so badly. A lot of the details are not reported in the ER report, but will be available in the 10-Q in the next week or two.