Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone has *a lot* of time on their hands I would appreciate some comments on my first draft income model out to 2035. I tried to make it reasonably comprehensive. I'm sure there are some dramatically bad estimations here and I'm gonna keep tinkering with presentability and justification. I welcome any thoughts. Since I know you aren't tslaq I won't be offended by any critique. And if you are, don't bother because I am allergic.

Generally I am:
1) Reasonably optimistic that FSD contribution will expand well from here
2) Not particularly optimistic about robotaxi until 2025+ era (for a superbull I'm in a longer timeline to LVL 4 camp than most).
3) By 2030 I think everything they sell monetizes autopilot software 1 way or the other because it becomes such a significant piece of the puzzle. (I just split it -- 33% roughly for FSD buy, sub, and robotaxi).
4) Expect ASP to drop reasonably fast and consistently when only considering vehicle sans autopilot but stable gross margins.
5) I've only got 13m units for 2030 sold. This may very well be insanely conservative but I worry people will stop buying Teslas simply to express their individuality ;p
6) I feel a bit clueless how to project balance sheet debt (and thus income statement impact) and in particular direction of share count. This sheet doesn't have any kind of share buyback program which seems inevitable. So that's also conservative.
7) I have a feeling my target for Energy of 350GWh may be conservative for some but it's hard to talk huge numbers when they are still shipping ~6Gwh)
8) My usual modelling technique from an occam's razor mathematical function methodology is usually to ramp exponential up to a certain point and then switch to a fixed linear model of constant +X per year. This tends to approximate an S curve without the risks inherent in extrapolating exponentials too aggressively in distant years.

Since it is probably easy to quibble about details, I think it would be useful to also just generally characterize if I am being too conservative or too aggressive taken holistically maybe on a LOB granularity. The PT I come up with here is ~1200 end of year but I actually toned down a lot of my real expectations to make it imo moreso on the conservative end. Also I think it would be valuable to reconsider basic modelling premises. For instance, I try to have some accounting for how op.ex scales in proportion to each of the LOBs but it feels really sloppy and hand wavy to me.

I feel like I could take one extra step and better ponder how Tesla's decision process might look in pricing the various ways to sell FSD. It's made more complicated by the differing models involved where FSD purchase is upfront value and others require accumulation of fleet.

Last edited:
If anyone has *a lot* of time on their hands I would appreciate some comments on my first draft income model out to 2035. I tried to make it reasonably comprehensive. I'm sure there are some dramatically bad estimations here and I'm gonna keep tinkering with presentability and justification. I welcome any thoughts. Since I know you aren't tslaq I won't be offended by any critique. And if you are, don't bother because I am allergic.

Generally I am:
1) Reasonably optimistic that FSD contribution will expand well from here
2) Not particularly optimistic about robotaxi until 2025+ era (for a superbull I'm in a longer timeline to LVL 4 camp than most).
3) By 2030 I think everything they sell monetizes autopilot software 1 way or the other because it becomes such a significant piece of the puzzle. (I just split it -- 33% roughly for FSD buy, sub, and robotaxi).
4) Expect ASP to drop reasonably fast and consistently when only considering vehicle sans autopilot but stable gross margins.
5) I've only got 13m units for 2030 sold. This may very well be insanely conservative but I worry people will stop buying Teslas simply to express their individuality ;p
6) I feel a bit clueless how to project balance sheet debt (and thus income statement impact) and in particular direction of share count. This sheet doesn't have any kind of share buyback program which seems inevitable. So that's also conservative.
7) I have a feeling my target for Energy of 350GWh may be conservative for some but it's hard to talk huge numbers when they are still shipping ~6Gwh)
8) My usual modelling technique from an occam's razor mathematical function methodology is usually to ramp exponential up to a certain point and then switch to a fixed linear model of constant +X per year. This tends to approximate an S curve without the risks inherent in extrapolating exponentials too aggressively in distant years.

Since it is probably easy to quibble about details, I think it would be useful to also just generally characterize if I am being too conservative or too aggressive taken holistically maybe on a LOB granularity. The PT I come up with here is ~1200 end of year but I actually toned down a lot of my real expectations to make it imo moreso on the conservative end. Also I think it would be valuable to reconsider basic modelling premises. For instance, I try to have some accounting for how op.ex scales in proportion to each of the LOBs but it feels really sloppy and hand wavy to me.

I feel like I could take one extra step and better ponder how Tesla's decision process might look in pricing the various ways to sell FSD. It's made more complicated by the differing models involved where FSD purchase is upfront value and others require accumulation of fleet.

I'm on vacation through next week but when I get back I would be happy to review your income model.

Reactions: RabidYak
I think I gotta lot of work to do before my model is worth looking at. I would warn people away for now. I’m pretty good at eventually distilling things to a ‘as simple as necessary and no simpler’ eventually but Tesla is the most difficult thing to model I’ve ever efforted. The key thing for me is I’m less interested in what this specific room is for — near term numbers — because even up to 2023 I think you end up having to rely on a magical multiplier (p/e or otherwise) that is extremely high and there is no real science to locating super high multiples. So you have to go out at least to 2025 before you start approaching perhaps 50x p/e where you might find some decent comps.

the alternative also is simply to look at what is implied numerically by the current market cap assignment just to get a sense of just how low 600B is because it almost certainly is too low, rather than discovering where in the heavens a fully value TSLA might live.

Reactions: RabidYak
I think I gotta lot of work to do before my model is worth looking at. I would warn people away for now. I’m pretty good at eventually distilling things to a ‘as simple as necessary and no simpler’ eventually but Tesla is the most difficult thing to model I’ve ever efforted. The key thing for me is I’m less interested in what this specific room is for — near term numbers — because even up to 2023 I think you end up having to rely on a magical multiplier (p/e or otherwise) that is extremely high and there is no real science to locating super high multiples. So you have to go out at least to 2025 before you start approaching perhaps 50x p/e where you might find some decent comps.

the alternative also is simply to look at what is implied numerically by the current market cap assignment just to get a sense of just how low 600B is because it almost certainly is too low, rather than discovering where in the heavens a fully value TSLA might live.

I started forecasting quarterly results when the hunt was on for GAAP profits for S&P inclusion and also in part to dispel the FUD that Tesla was going bankrupt, that Tesla loses money on every car they sell, etc. With the coming quarters of Q2, Q3 and Q4, the FUD noise of bankruptcy and money losing cars should taper down and TSLAQ will move their argument to stock valuation. As such, long range 10 year estimates will be important to support the market cap.

I'll continue to project quarterly numbers as they help me to understand Tesla's financial performance and key levers, but later this year I will start to work on a 10 year model to address the FUD on stock valuation. I have avoided it until now because of the difficulty projecting market growth especially as it relates to the Energy business.

@FrankSG has done a lot of quality work around future projections. Frank has taken time off from this forum as he pursues his MBA but you can see some of his pst work here:

Thanks for the invaluable feedback!

Am working on a crude estimate for 2021 earnings. Am surprised how much a difference the model S deliveries will have in my model (I am very conservative on 3/Y deliveries below, so view this as a non-bullish estimate.)

feel free to point out any obvious errors. (to get ahead of any comments - I have pencilled in an optimistic turnaround of energy profitability in current Q2 quarter)

View attachment 659568
Are you including the loss due to bitcoin?

Asking because this quarter Tesla will recognize a ~17% loss on their remaining $1.4B of BTC. This recognized loss would be over $200M.
Care to show your work? The Accountant calculated ~$90m.

ETA - looks like up he updated to be ~$113m.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Care to show your work? The Accountant calculated ~$90m.

ETA - looks like up he updated to be ~$113m.

Tesla recognizes the lowest price btc/usd traded during the quarter. Lowest was around 28.8K. Then did a quick calculation of $1.4B USD of bitcoin at an avg price (assumed) of 34.7K. (28.8-34.7)/34.7 = ~17% recognized loss. Then 1.4 * .17 = $238M USD. LMK if this is an error.

Tesla recognizes the lowest price btc/usd traded during the quarter. Lowest was around 28.8K. Then did a quick calculation of $1.4B USD of bitcoin at an avg price (assumed) of 34.7K. (28.8-34.7)/34.7 = ~17% recognized loss. Then 1.4 * .17 = $238M USD. LMK if this is an error.
You are missing that they have already recognized losses such that the average price is now closer to $31k. Which puts the loss closer to 7%.

And then math tells me they hold 42,069 BTCs, anyone surprised by that quantity?, so 31k-28.8k=2.2k loss per BTC. Then 2.2k*42069 = $92.5M.

Last edited:
You are missing that they have already recognized losses such that the average price is now closer to $31k. Which puts the loss closer to 7%.

And then math tells me they hold 42,069 BTCs, anyone surprised by that quantity?, so 31k-28.8k=2.2k 2.2k*42069 = $92.5M.
When did they recognize it at 31K? Are you saying they recognized the price it traded it prior to their purchase around Feb 8th? Looks like it traded above that price following their purchase for the rest of Q1.

I can’t make long term financial projections that include any guesses about the price of something as volatile and inherently worthless as Bitcoin (I really wish they hadn’t purchased any).
I was just asking for the upcoming quarter. Just something to consider when calculating everything. I disagree I think the purchase of bitcoin was wise. But that's way off topic. Was hoping to contribute to your projections and assist in more accurate projections.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
When did they recognize it at 31K? Are you saying they recognized the price it traded it prior to their purchase around Feb 8th? Looks like it traded above that price following their purchase for the rest of Q1.
What makes you think that they purchased around Feb 8th? We know it was much earlier than that. They announced the purchase had already occurred in their January 27th 10k filing:

In January 2021, we updated our investment policy to provide us with more flexibility to further diversify and maximize returns on our cash that is not required to maintain adequate operating liquidity. As part of the policy, which was duly approved by the Audit Committee of our Board of Directors, we may invest a portion of such cash in certain alternative reserve assets including digital assets, gold bullion, gold exchange-traded funds and other assets as specified in the future. Thereafter, we invested an aggregate $1.50 billion in bitcoin under this policy and may acquire and hold digital assets from time to time or long-term. Moreover, we expect to begin accepting bitcoin as a form of payment for our products in the near future, subject to applicable laws and initially on a limited basis, which we may or may not liquidate upon receipt.

So it seems that they purchased sometime in January before the 27th.

During the three months ended March 31, 2021, we recorded $27 million of impairment losses on bitcoin.

So we know the price of BTC went down after they purchased it. The low price in Q1 for BTC was January 21st at about $28.9, let's assume that they purchased after that point. The next lowest point was on January 27th was about $29.3k. So they purchased between the 21st and 27th. (Which lines up with disclosure rules that they had to announce their BTC purchase within 4 days.) Making the 27th the low point in Q1 that they have already written the value down to.

So I have to revise my math now. 29.3k-28.8k= 0.5k loss per BTC. 0.8 * 42069 BTCs = $21M loss to recognize.

If they purchased before January 21st they would have already written it down to $28.9, meaning they need to recognize even less of a loss.

Can anyone, calling @The Accountant, find where I messed up that calculation?

Last edited:
What makes you think that they purchased around Feb 8th? We know it was much earlier than that. They announced the purchase had already occurred in their January 27th 10k filing:

So we know the price of BTC went down after they purchased it. The low price in Q1 for BTC was January 21st at about $28.9, let's assume that they purchased after that point. The next lowest point was on January 27th was about $29.3k. So they purchased between the 21st and 27th. (Which lines up with disclosure rules that they had to announce their BTC purchase within 4 days.) Making the 27th the low point in Q1 that they have already written the value down to.

So I have to revise my math now. 29.3k-28.8k= 0.5k loss per BTC. 0.8 * 42069 BTCs = $21M loss to recognize.

If they purchased before January 21st they would have already written it down to $28.9, meaning they need to recognize even less of a loss.

Posted reply here:

Perfect! Thanks for finding that info.

@Troy

I see you have China Q2 local deliveries at 68,505.

When I add the rumored number from Tesla_China_Analyst (twitter) for June to the CPCA numbers, I get 58,207.
Are you seeing a strong June similar to what we saw in March?
Thanks

1624884039505.png

When I add the rumored number from Tesla_China_Analyst (twitter) for June to the CPCA numbers, I get 58,207.
Are you seeing a strong June similar to what we saw in March?
Thanks

Tesla China Analyst's figures outside China seem inconsistent. The USA figures seem to be an estimate of US deliveries and to ignore exports to other markets which we know have been significant from the shipping information. The China figures also seem to ignore any exports in June which seems in conflict with what we see from the WuWa drone footage.

Tesla China Analyst's figures outside China seem inconsistent. The USA figures seem to be an estimate of US deliveries and to ignore exports to other markets which we know have been significant from the shipping information. The China figures also seem to ignore any exports in June which seems in conflict with what we see from the WuWa drone footage.
and contradicting Tesla China Analyst, we have this quote from an analyst at JL Warren:
"Miles Qianli Dong, a research analyst at JL Warren, said in an email to CNBC that this weekend’s “soft recall” shouldn’t have a material impact on the company’s sales moving forward. He wrote, “We believe that this is Tesla China’s subtle way to make concessions with Chinese consumers and government in light of the recent PR crisis.” The firm expects that Tesla’s June delivery numbers in China, one approximation of sales there, will approach March 2021 levels thanks to a recent financing rate cut."

Hoping Miles is on target.