Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a battery for a 2008 1.5, any sellers? :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case someone has some ideas.

My #190 died 2 weeks ago with "Powertrain failure."

I did not think of writing the error code number.

This was the 3rd time I had the failure, this time luckily just in front of the Palo Alto Tesla store.

It rebooted and I could drive to the service area.

After a few weeks, they tell me the battery needs to be replaced but...there are no batteries available.
Waiting time for the improved battery ($30k) is 1 year. Same time for a remanufactured one ($14k).

Oh my.

The person on the phone (Ken) mentioned that there may be donor cars with usable batteries? Totaled ones maybe (sad).

I thought I would ask here if someone had better ideas.
thanks!

Totaled ones maybe (sad).
Actually, it's even sadder :oops:

Some are/were perfectly running and complete Roadsters that Tesla purchased as part of their recently initiated trade-in program. My understanding is they're being used to stockpile parts and components needed to help satisfy remaining warranties and provide the Roadster community "better service" by offering parts that are NLA. Pretty sad fate to have to cannibalize living cars but #190 will be the beneficiary of a (hopefully) factory refurbished ESS.

You can also consider Gruber Motors. They may be able to save your pack or sell you a refurb.

Last edited:
Actually, it's even sadder :oops:

Some are/were perfectly running and complete Roadsters that Tesla purchased as part of their recently initiated trade-in program. My understanding is they're being used to stockpile parts and components needed to help satisfy remaining warranties and provide the Roadster community "better service" by offering parts that are NLA. Pretty sad fate to have to cannibalize living cars but #190 will be the beneficiary of a (hopefully) factory refurbished ESS.

You can also consider Gruber Motors. They may be able to save your pack or sell you a refurb.
Do you have evidence that Tesla is not reselling the Roadsters they're taking in trade? I don't think they're just using them for parts.

I got the info from a fellow TMCr who recently took advantage of the trade in and confirmed this to be the case. According to the SC rep that processed his car, Tesla was in fact purchasing them for parts and not for resale.

giphy.gif

Not surprised, really...it's one less they have to repair/replace battery, etc, and in reality, will eventually, make the rest of them worth that much more...

I can't blame Tesla for doing this...just have to be on the watch for "refurbished" parts when repair work is being done...especially at Tesla SC.

Reactions: dhrivnak
It makes sense that they would buy for parts, I guess. They are really out of them.

They indicated that they'll make an offer as follows: estimated street value of the car as if running minus price of a refurb'ed battery ($14k).

I haven't received a number yet though. And it would be a trade-in offer, so would have to get a 3 or Y for example.

But that still is a respectable concept.

@gregd You have a very valid point, and I agree with you.

Thanks @Roadster for the Gruber recommendation. I contacted them and was immediately contacted back by Pete Gruber. He is impressively knowledgeable about roadsters in general and battery issues in particular.

==> #190 is going on "repair vacations" in Arizona next week!

I'll let you'all know how this all ends up

Thanks @Roadster for the Gruber recommendation. I contacted them and was immediately contacted back by Pete Gruber. He is impressively knowledgeable about roadsters in general and battery issues in particular.

Great call to have it repair and Good luck!

Reactions: drewski

You will not be disappointed with the work by Gruber Motors, I have toured their shop w/ Pete Gruber and he is very knowledgeable on the batteries and PEM. They have several cars they are always working on to bring back to life, some don't take very long, others take a while longer.

Reactions: drewski
Just in case someone has some ideas.

My #190 died 2 weeks ago with "Powertrain failure."

I did not think of writing the error code number.

This was the 3rd time I had the failure, this time luckily just in front of the Palo Alto Tesla store.

It rebooted and I could drive to the service area.

After a few weeks, they tell me the battery needs to be replaced but...there are no batteries available.
Waiting time for the improved battery ($30k) is 1 year. Same time for a remanufactured one ($14k).

Oh my.

The person on the phone (Ken) mentioned that there may be donor cars with usable batteries? Totaled ones maybe (sad).

I thought I would ask here if someone had better ideas.
thanks!
Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on it? I've got a vested interest as I have #187.

Thanks and good luck.

Henry

Gruber presumably will 'massage' your existing battery by disconnecting dead cells and recharging salvageable cells etc to allow partial pack operation, something TM does not have the time or staff to do.

> Waiting time for the improved battery ($30k) is 1 year. Same time for a remanufactured one ($14k).

That was the company line one year ago; keeps going around and around again on the guitar. :rolleyes:
--

• Funny
Reactions: slcasner
Some update, Gruber found bad connections (rivets) on 3 battery sheets. They will rebuild connections to all sheets while it's in AZ.
Interestingly they also offer additional fixes, even including the peeling headlights 8-D So I'm pampering #190 and fixing/maintaining small things too.
Looking forward to having it back on the road in CA!