Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a Tesla owner in the Seattle area to help test a Christmas gift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, so let me know if this isn't the right place to post this.

I'm working on a custom-made travel charger accessory for my father's Model S. The idea is to basically make one of these:

My version sits between a NEMA 14-50 plug and the charger and then wraps around the charger cable with some velcro. It's non-invasive and can be added/removed in a matter of minutes. It also measures current and animates the lights faster when you're charging faster.

The problem is that I don't have a travel charger or a Tesla (or any car at the moment. I'm <10kth in like for a Model 3 though!), so I have no way to test that this thing works before I head back east for the holidays.

If you live in the Seattle area, would you mind helping me out? I will only need about 1.5 hours of your time. I'd also like to shoot a short video for my blog where I'm documenting this project. I'd be happy to give you or your business a shout-out in the video which will probably go somewhat viral in EV circles.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, so let me know if this isn't the right place to post this.

I'm working on a custom-made travel charger accessory for my father's Model S. The idea is to basically make one of these:

My version sits between a NEMA 14-50 plug and the charger and then wraps around the charger cable with some velcro. It's non-invasive and can be added/removed in a matter of minutes. It also measures current and animates the lights faster when you're charging faster.

The problem is that I don't have a travel charger or a Tesla (or any car at the moment. I'm <10kth in like for a Model 3 though!), so I have no way to test that this thing works before I head back east for the holidays.

If you live in the Seattle area, would you mind helping me out? I will only need about 1.5 hours of your time. I'd also like to shoot a short video for my blog where I'm documenting this project. I'd be happy to give you or your business a shout-out in the video which will probably go somewhat viral in EV circles.

Thanks!
What a fun idea for a present! I have an HPWC not a 14-50 so so can't help. I like you idea tho. Good luck!

Keep in mind that the charge cable gets warm when charging. If you further wrap it, it may get even warmer. It may not be rated to be wrapped and possibly heated further with the head from the LED's surrounding it (touch an LED strip and you'll know what I mean). Sounds cool, but may not be practical.