Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a UMC in Minneapolis area!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I obviously don't live in Minneapolis, but I'm curious about your lodging and charging situation while you're there. Are you going to be staying with family, where you were planning to charge at their house?

I'm just wondering why the need for using a UMC, which is only used for charging from outlets? There are a TON of J1772 and CHAdeMO, and even a Supercharger in Minneapolis, none of which need a UMC. If you're visiting family, couldn't you drop the car off at a nearby J1772, while they drive you back to their house?

But yes, there are a lot of Tesla owners there too. I just don't know if you would happen to catch one of them on the forum, so I was offering some other suggestions.

I guess I'm still struggling to see why you even need it with a Supercharger and a bunch of charging stations there in the city.
David99 has been driving a Tesla for years and is a frequent contributor to this forum. If he wants a UMC on his trip, I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he has a good reason for it. He doesn't need to explain where he plans to plug into.

Reactions: David99
Sent you a PM too.

You are probably coming across on I-80 but if you happen to be coming up I-35 or across on I-70 I would only be a few minutes out of your way and you can borrow one of mine. I charge at home on my UMC but bought a second one because I know I would forget to put mine in the car too if going on a trip.

Out of curiosity, did you happen to contact Tesla service to see if they would loan you one? I doubt they would but I think it be a nice service if they did. Similar to how some auto parts stores will loan you special tools if you need them.

I think you've answered your own question here. How is doing that more convenient than charging overnight, where the car is parked anyway?
I never remotely suggested it was more convenient. But since he did not have his charging cable, and may or may not be able to find a place to get one, I was just suggesting something that could be a reasonable alternative.

Reactions: Chuq