Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help from Tire Experts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to ditch my 21 Uberturbines and go with the T Sportline 19" TST Flow Forged package with tires. Here are my tire option and my question is which one would be best for maximum range and low noise. I am in Orlando so all weather is not needed.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 4.28.08 PM.png

See if Pirelli P7+ (Version 2) is available or Bridgestone QuietTrack is available in your needed specs.

Those are great on Tread Life, Efficiency and Noise (they are All season, not All weather).
But slightly less in braking / wet handling than say the Continental or Michelin's you listed. (that's the trade off !!!).

There is no such thing at best Wet handling, best Efficiency, best Tread life, best at low road noise in one tire.

I assume you won't be considering the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tire for use in Orlando as this is a winter tire. In general performance tires such as the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are designed to stick to the road but do not have the lowest rolling resistance. Performance tires also tend to wear out quickly.

For maximum range consider a tire designed with Eco-Focus (Tires with Eco-Focus are designed to conserve natural resources through methods such as improved fuel economy, long tread life and environmentally-conscious manufacturing techniques.)

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 has Michelin's Eco Focus technology and is an Ultra High Performance All Season tire. Due to the harder compounds used in Eco-Focus tires the grip may not equal the grip when cornering using a performance tire.

If you go up to a 20" wheel, potentially also using a wheel from TSportline, you could use the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S) (Mud and Snow) TO, Ultra High Performance All-Season tire. The Goodyear Eagle F1 has the Tesla sound treatment foam liner that may help reduce tire noise. The Goodyear Eagle F1 is the OE tire that Tesla includes with the 20" Induction wheel on the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y. Owners of the Goodyear Eagle F1 rate this tire higher than the Continental Procontact RX TO tire that come with Model Y when configured with 19" wheels.

my question is which one would be best for maximum range and low noise.
The Pilot Sport All Season 4 is neither particularly efficient nor quiet based on my experience. It handles well, but I am disappointed with it in these two characteristics.

If those are your only options, no question— go for the OE Conti tire. It does appear the Tesla engineers prioritized range and noise when they selected and tweaked that tire.

If you really want to maximize highway range, go with the Gemini wheels as well.

The Pilot Sport All Season 4 is neither particularly efficient nor quiet based on my experience. It handles well, but I am disappointed with it in these two characteristics.

If those are your only options, no question— go for the OE Conti tire. It does appear the Tesla engineers prioritized range and noise when they selected and tweaked that tire.

If you really want to maximize highway range, go with the Gemini wheels as well.

The QuietTrack is rated 9.5 for tire noise by tirerack customers.
The Pilot Sport All Season 4 (assuming that's the same as the Pilot Sport 4S) is rated 8.8
The OEM Continental tire is rated 8.3 for tire noise.

Wheels make little difference. But they can effect tire choices.

Also you need to be careful about the tirerack overall review rating. Because they are ratings within the domain that the tire specializes in.
If a tire is noted for grip (i.e. performance), it will get high reviews if it has good grip compared to other grippy tires.
It might even get high marks for noise (WITHIN that class of tires) even those it might be terrible compared to tires noted to be quiet.

If a tire is noted to be quiet then it will get high marks if it's really quiet.

OE Continental is probably the worst tire you could get for tire noise.
All Tesla did was add foam to an already noisy tire that has good efficiency (within it's class) and average grip (within it's class).
Tirerack customers rating for "Would you buy again" is a whopping 4.7

Tirerack reviews don't rate efficiency unfortunately. But higher tread life, less grippy tires will tend to be more efficient.
There are sites out there that review for noise and efficiency.

Oh, check out tires from online shops in Europe (just to get the Euro Label). European labels require Noise and Efficiency on the tire label and it's standardized. You can't always find the exact tire as made in USA. But often you can or one that is extremely close.

Consumer Reports has a pretty extensive list that includes noise and efficency. I think it's using their tests (not from customers). But they don't always have the latest tires. Tires can behave a little different in different sizes too.

Reactions: MrABRanch
Out of this list, go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 if you value handling the most, and not want a summer tire with a rather short life (the Pilot Sport 4 will be even better handling but much worse value for money due to the threadwear rating). Otherwise I'd recommend the DWS06.

Obviously the Pirelli winter tire would be the worst for Florida :)

BTW: I would not recommend any Pirelli tire out of personal experience, I always found the similar Michelin tire better. Haven't driven their very recent products though. The run-flat version of the Cinturato P7 (BMW OEM) was rather horrid.

The Pilot Sport 4S is a high performance summer tire with a wear rating of 300 vs 540 for the All Season 4. Even if they have the same road noise they are completely different tires for different purposes.

The OP asked for Quiet and High Efficiency !!!

If you want to convince him to replace tires every 20K miles, live with more road noise, get less range, spend more money per set for 5% better wet braking, go for it.

• Funny
Reactions: artnalex
Out of this list, go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 if you value handling the most, and not want a summer tire with a rather short life (the Pilot Sport 4 will be even better handling but much worse value for money due to the threadwear rating). Otherwise I'd recommend the DWS06.

Obviously the Pirelli winter tire would be the worst for Florida :)

BTW: I would not recommend any Pirelli tire out of personal experience, I always found the similar Michelin tire better. Haven't driven their very recent products though. The run-flat version of the Cinturato P7 (BMW OEM) was rather horrid.

The P7 vs P7+ are apples and oranges. And yes, reviews for P7 say they are horrible. P7+ reviews are great. And most people know run flats can be problematic.

And for the record, I look forward to putting my smaller rim Pirelli Performance Snow tires on in the Winter. Why? Because they are QUIET. Not suggesting OP run winter tires in Florida.

But there are some great quiet, efficient, long tread life, less expensive tires out there.

People seem to have a difficult time that handling is not everyones priority. If the Tesla’s were dead quiet with any tire then it would be a different story.

The OP obviously is looking to quiet the car down going with much smaller rims. But if he doesn’t choose carefully on tires he’s going to be disappointed.

I wouldn’t buy any tire on his list.

Thanks for all the input. After much research on TireRack I am going with the Pirelli,

CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II

I'm confused. You're in Orlando, and you said you didn't need all-season? You also said you were going with 19"s.

I don't find this tire listed in a 19", with the proper weight rating. Did you change wheel sizes?

Reactions: frankvb
The OP asked for Quiet and High Efficiency !!!

If you want to convince him to replace tires every 20K miles, live with more road noise, get less range, spend more money per set for 5% better wet braking, go for it.

Not trying to convince anyone to buy one thing over another. Just pointing out that they are 2 different types of tires that you assumed are the same.

I don't find this tire listed in a 19", with the proper weight rating. Did you change wheel sizes?
Good point - these only have a 100V (not XL) weight rating. The OP should definitely not use those.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

BTW: did not read the original post very well, if you want quiet I would not recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Maximum range dictates an all season tire (summer ones don't have very good threadwear ratings).

I see that you've already selected a tire, but for anyone else who's interested, don't choose DWS06 if you care about a quiet ride. I went from MXM4 to DWS06 8k miles ago on my Model 3. DWS06 handling is superb (although anything is probably superb compared to the MXM4), but it is noisy! It has a lot of low to mid frequency rumble that's noticeable starting at low speeds and just gets louder and louder at higher speeds.