Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help understanding unknown TM3 icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Togg

Mar 24, 2019
CA
On the touch screen to the right of the current driver's name we have a little icon that appears when I plug in a usb memory stick setup for sentry mode camera recording.

The symbol is a black rectangle with rounded corners, and has a red dot in the upper right corner. When I touch it, it turns to a 3 sided black box, with a black arrow pointing down into the box. The in a few moments it has some green, then returns to what it was.

The online manual doesn't seem to describe the icons.

Is there some standard place to lookup things on the screen?

Slight suspicious about this post... But I'll bite.

The first icon shows that the dashcam is recording. And when you touch it, the arrow and then the green checkmark indicates the video has been downloaded to the USB stick, then it shows it's recording again.

As for where to find screen icon descriptions, I'm not sure. But that's why you have us. :)

Hmm - to the right of the drivers' name on my model 3 there is a circular icon that has a red "light" in the middle of it if you touch it - and goes off if you touch it again. I have no idea what it does...but it doesn't SEEM to do anything much. It's not mentioned anywhere in the owner's manual (that I can find)...the manual does describe a different icon in that position - but it doesn't seem to relate to what I have. But if it's USB-memory-stick-related, then that might explain it.

Weird.

The trouble with a car that gets software updates is that the printed owner's manual doesn't magically change to match.

What you really need is what most PC software has where you hover the mouse over a control and it explains itself. But you can't really do that with a touch screen.

I'm a software developer and in those circumstances I usually make a "HELP" button that you touch first - and then the next button you touch explains itself instead of doing whatever it does.

It seems odd that relatively rarely needed icons are on the top row, where they're always available - but other seemingly more important things aren't.

Hmm - to the right of the drivers' name on my model 3 there is a circular icon that has a red "light" in the middle of it if you touch it - and goes off if you touch it again. I have no idea what it does...but it doesn't SEEM to do anything much. It's not mentioned anywhere in the owner's manual (that I can find)...the manual does describe a different icon in that position - but it doesn't seem to relate to what I have. But if it's USB-memory-stick-related, then that might explain it.
I believe that is turning Sentry mode on and off. Does the icon have a close resemblance to one of HAL 9000's cameras when the red light is "on" in that icon? Does it disappear if you unplug any USB storage devices?

Reactions: JasonR67

Weird.

The trouble with a car that gets software updates is that the printed owner's manual doesn't magically change to match.

What you really need is what most PC software has where you hover the mouse over a control and it explains itself. But you can't really do that with a touch screen.

I'm a software developer and in those circumstances I usually make a "HELP" button that you touch first - and then the next button you touch explains itself instead of doing whatever it does.

It seems odd that relatively rarely needed icons are on the top row, where they're always available - but other seemingly more important things aren't.
Sentry Mode

I believe that is turning Sentry mode on and off. Does the icon have a close resemblance to one of HAL 9000's cameras when the red light is "on" in that icon? Does it disappear if you unplug any USB storage devices?
I guessed that this red-glaring-eye icon might be sentry mode too, but I've never enabled sentry mode, and this icon is there whether or not there's a USB drive plugged in.

That is because the recording of footage to USB is only a part of Sentry Mode; the other parts are flashing the headlights, the display of the "Sentry" warning on the MFD, and the extremely loud playback of Toccata and Fugue when it gets irked enough at whatever is going on.
And I believe Sentry Mode defaults to on unless you turn it off. @bay74 , you can check to see if yours is on in the Safety and Security settings, but it must be if you are seeing the red eye.

Slight suspicious about this post... But I'll bite.

The first icon shows that the dashcam is recording. And when you touch it, the arrow and then the green checkmark indicates the video has been downloaded to the USB stick, then it shows it's recording again.

As for where to find screen icon descriptions, I'm not sure. But that's why you have us. :)
curious how he/she was able to get so far as format the USB and create the folder correctly for successful Cam recording but is so naive as to the icons on the screen!