Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need manual retraction of spoiler for car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just brought our X home to Port Townsend and had long chat with our local detailer who put on a "ceramic" coating (please don't ask the name--I'm terrible with such details.) Anyway, I'd been hesitant about using an automatic car wash. He claims the new technologies are actually less apt to damage than hand washing. Although I'm sure that statement will launch a big debate, we've decided to go ahead and use it.

The issue is the spoiler. Although it's sturdy, it would be desirable to manually retract it to minimize risk of injuring it. So far, I can't find a way to manually retract it without locking the car, which obviously won't work. I asked my DS who said he's heard similar requests. So perhaps Fremont will listen and add the option in the future.

On a slightly different note, I've also learned that when one goes through a car wash, you obviously have to keep the car in neutral. But if you sit chatting or paying too long, the car will revert to park. Not a pretty thought if you don't realize it. My DS says that once the car starts rolling, it will stay in neutral. I'm just curious if anyone has had any issues, or whether I'm overthinking it.

Thanks.

Just brought our X home to Port Townsend and had long chat with our local detailer who put on a "ceramic" coating (please don't ask the name--I'm terrible with such details.) Anyway, I'd been hesitant about using an automatic car wash. He claims the new technologies are actually less apt to damage than hand washing. Although I'm sure that statement will launch a big debate, we've decided to go ahead and use it.

The issue is the spoiler. Although it's sturdy, it would be desirable to manually retract it to minimize risk of injuring it. So far, I can't find a way to manually retract it without locking the car, which obviously won't work. I asked my DS who said he's heard similar requests. So perhaps Fremont will listen and add the option in the future.

On a slightly different note, I've also learned that when one goes through a car wash, you obviously have to keep the car in neutral. But if you sit chatting or paying too long, the car will revert to park. Not a pretty thought if you don't realize it. My DS says that once the car starts rolling, it will stay in neutral. I'm just curious if anyone has had any issues, or whether I'm overthinking it.

Thanks.

You're not overthinking it IMO.

There SHOULD be a way to retract the active spoiler, at least at low speed or when stopped, but currently there isn't. I have the same concerns, especially since mine groans when retracting (another item for the SC).

IDK about the car going into park automatically after a short period of time stopped. I hope your DS is correct.

I got through a car wash with my S in neutral, takes 5 minutes, never had an issue. I _have_ had an issue at the start of the car wash, while I'm in neutral and waiting for it to start, when I reached over to the glovebox. With my weight off my seat, the car went into park (It was noticeable, and i quickly put it back in neutral and had no issue). I'm now just aware of such, and 'fidget' less while waiting.

I would also like to see an option to retract the spoiler. What is the point of a retractable spoiler if it is only pulled in when the car is asleep?

I have a problem opening my trunk in the garage. My garage is not low, the FWDs open all the way - but when I pop open the trunk the spoiler hits the garage door track. Apparently there are no sensors there and I have two dings in the spoiler already. Now I have to park the car in the driveway, empty groceries on to the ground, and then pull the car into the garage.

I also feel it obstructs my view out the rear window when I am backing the car up.

Another option is to have it only deploy when the car reaches a certain speed. This would make it safe for car washes , garages, and backing up slowly.

I had another car that spoiler only deploy when car reached a certain speed but that can not be done due to the integrated center brake light. It could retract the spoiler when car is in park instead of having to bo off though.

Another thing Tesla could do is make the spoiler to retract first before open the hatch door when you push the open button. That will prevent those dings and reduce damages even if it does bump into something.

Are you talking about a touch-less car wash? Its just water sprays and won't hurt your spoiler. If you are talking about using the rollers that rip about thrashing your car then that's another matter. And BTW the car in front of yours probably had not been washed for two months and all the road grit that was on their car just got embedded in the flapping brushes, essentially sanding your car.

Also what's the deal with having the car in neutral and not park? I have never noticed this instruction before and I have always put my car in park in a car wash. Absolutely do not put it in any gear. I wonder if this is a carry over instruction for manual transmission cars?

Also what's the deal with having the car in neutral and not park? I have never noticed this instruction before and I have always put my car in park in a car wash. Absolutely do not put it in any gear. I wonder if this is a carry over instruction for manual transmission cars?

I believe the OP is using one of the car washes that has a motorized track that rolls your car along the wash. My local Costco has one and they very clearly instruct you to leave your car in neutral. If you don't I assume the mechanism that moves the car forward would either break your parking brake or your car will break their mechanism.

Still waiting for my X (*JEALOUS*) so can't comment of the spoiler but if I run my S through an automated wash I just flip on the tow mode and all goes well.

The wash I use is a high end one with essentially a touchless wash first then soft rollers after all the 'sandpaper grit' is off, hand buffed at the end, no scratches yet in 13 months

Thanks.

I think it is very odd that 1: the spoiler is always deployed when moving. It certainly has little to no effect at low speeds and probably adds a little bit of drag.. 2: that there is no manual override. Seems like a basic concept to me.

Visibility. The closed spoiler blocks the bottom ~4 inches of the rear window. Raised you can see through the whole window with just a thin line from the spoiler.

And then there's the middle brake light that needs the spoiler to be up. I don't understand why the spoiler should just go up when the car is in any drive gear and go down in neutral or park.

I believe the OP is using one of the car washes that has a motorized track that rolls your car along the wash. My local Costco has one and they very clearly instruct you to leave your car in neutral. If you don't I assume the mechanism that moves the car forward would either break your parking brake or your car will break their mechanism.
OK. Thanks for that. I am only used to the ones that you park your car and the unit moves around you.:redface:

I must admit I don't go to car washes very much and when I do it's because the car is filthy and I want it to get the power water jet treatment before I hand wash it.

I remember in the 50's they used to hook up a chain to your car on the car washes and drag your car through. This sounds like the same with a dolly instead of a chain.

Thanks.

It would make sense for the spoiler to retract when tow mode is selected.

Until that happens the only solution for washes that push the car thru would be to set tow mode then lock the car as it enters the wash. Then unlock once it is past the brushes or near the end.

image.jpeg

I would also turn off auto present on the doors. It would be sad to be watching the car roll thru the wash and as it passes by the drivers door auto opens. When I tested this I found that even in tow mode and with the car locked by the fob the drivers door would still auto open. So turn off auto present, set tow mode then lock with the fob.

Maybe an automatic car wash mode is needed. I never use car washes but this posting peaked my curiosity.

Reactions: Softwizard
It would make sense for the spoiler to retract when tow mode is selected.

Until that happens the only solution for washes that push the car thru would be to set tow mode then lock the car as it enters the wash. Then unlock once it is past the brushes or near the end.

View attachment 112222

I would also turn off auto present on the doors. It would be sad to be watching the car roll thru the wash and as it passes by the drivers door auto opens. When I tested this I found that even in tow mode and with the car locked by the fob the drivers door would still auto open. So turn off auto present, set tow mode then lock with the fob.

Maybe an automatic car wash mode is needed. I never use car washes but this posting peaked my curiosity.

Egads! Hadn't even thought of that. Happily, with our wash you sit in the car as it moves through, but I've been in several where you get out of the car. Tow mode looks like an interesting choice except at the very end, you have to time driving away just right so the car behind doesn't run into you. Not sure I want to be fumbling with screen.

I like the idea of car wash mode: retracts spoiler and disables any automatic shift logic from neutral to park.

My wife will not hand wash her X, and I don't have time to do it. Where I live, lots of car washes offer all the washes you want for under $30/month. They are "soft touch." My son uses them all the time and his car still looks new after almost 2 years. We changed our X to red with the thought that she can go through a car wash once or twice a week if necessary. A retracting spoiler option is needed ASAP so her spoiler doesn't get ripped off....