Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need new tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, Tesla told me today my front tires have too much tread wear and need alignment. I have about 17,000 miles and have Contisilent I think. Do you guys recommend the same tires and is there a tire store you recommend ?
Thanks

@mohanman I suggest a couple of other threads to look at, as this has been recently discussed in these. I'm considering a different set of Continental tires, the DWS 06s, instead of the stock ContiSilents. I'm also considering these Pirelli's

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
Tire Life/Maintenance

I also find it interesting how the tread life on these tires varies greatly. I'm approaching 26k miles on my original ContiSilent tires, yet you've only made it to 17k and we both got our Xs around the same time I believe...

@mohanman I suggest a couple of other threads to look at, as this has been recently discussed in these. I'm considering a different set of Continental tires, the DWS 06s, instead of the stock ContiSilents. I'm also considering these Pirelli's

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
Tire Life/Maintenance

I also find it interesting how the tread life on these tires varies greatly. I'm approaching 26k miles on my original ContiSilent tires, yet you've only made it to 17k and we both got our Xs around the same time I believe...

Hey man I just want the best tire that is quiet and good for Winter. Michigan roads are the most horrible roads in the World because no one here wants to pay taxes to fix them and I dont think the Michigan road people use good materials, I think that must be why my tires already need to be replaced. So what is the most quiet tire I can get?

Hey man I just want the best tire that is quiet and good for Winter. Michigan roads are the most horrible roads in the World because no one here wants to pay taxes to fix them and I dont think the Michigan road people use good materials, I think that must be why my tires already need to be replaced. So what is the most quiet tire I can get?

Yep, roads definitely play a big factor and from what you're saying about Michigan, plus the weather up there, that makes sense. Hard to say what is the most quiet, but according to Tire Rack, both of these are quieter than the ContiSilents we currently have. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the one's I shared threads to, even based on some of the other Tesla owners who have already reviewed them. I too am looking for something more quiet; I'll let you know what I decide to get. Will probably purchase mine towards August/September.

Buy a second set of wheels. Tesla will sell you a 19 set with winter tires on them. The addition of an inch of sidewall will decrease the noise, and even with AWD dedicated winter tires will make a big difference.

Of course don't do that until the fall. For now just replace the stock tires.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Buy a second set of wheels. Tesla will sell you a 19 set with winter tires on them. The addition of an inch of sidewall will decrease the noise, and even with AWD dedicated winter tires will make a big difference.

Of course don't do that until the fall. For now just replace the stock tires.

+1000

This is 100% true...don't drive below 7 degrees celsius on non winter tires - the difference is day and night. I would highly recommend a second set of tires and wheels. They will pay for themselves with your first avoided accident. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just about not getting stuck in snowStopping distances and handling are significantly reduced.

I would get a set of 20's with dedicated winters - once you've driven on them once - you will never go back to all seasons!

Doesn't matter how expensive or technologically advanced our vehicles are -- there are only 4 squares of rubber connecting the vehicle to the road - and you want them to be the best possible contact patches for road conditions at all times.

Watch this for more info:

I have front tire wear especially on the outside edges with my original Contis mounted X90D with only 20K. Rears look pretty good, but I;'m worried about this Ohio winter. These were great for the first 2 winters here. Hard time finding the Conti 265 45 108s to try and replace just the fronts. What is the problem mixing manufacturers if the size match what came on the car?

Reactions: CovertADV
I have the 22 Perelli Scorpions, almost 30k miles and they do well in PNW (mild, lots of rain) winters. Still likely have another 10k in tread left. Recommend them. They have sound deadening material inside.

I have front tire wear especially on the outside edges with my original Contis mounted X90D with only 20K. Rears look pretty good, but I;'m worried about this Ohio winter. These were great for the first 2 winters here. Hard time finding the Conti 265 45 108s to try and replace just the fronts. What is the problem mixing manufacturers if the size match what came on the car?
You should be able to find the Contis - Tire Rack has them in stock. If you really can't, mixing is OK so long as you don't mess up the sizes. If you're getting outside edge wear your alignment is off, though.