Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some Model X Blackvue Dashcam advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
I had (and still have) a Blackvue 650 front and rear cam in my old Model S. I took it out when I sold the car, and it's been sitting in my desk drawer since then. Finally after a year of being just too busy, I'm getting ready to finally put it in my X. TeslaCam works ok, but it's front camera sucks compared to the blackvue, and the TeslaCam gets weird corruptions from time to time. Also having both the Teslacam and Blackvue can't hurt honestly since I already have the Blackvue.

My question is about the newer cams. I was always pretty happy with the front camera quality of the 650, but the rear wasn't nearly as good. The X has a rear power outlet that my S didn't have. Should I pick up one of the newer 900 series for a front cam, and just reuse the (formerly) front 650 in the rear? Two cameras, two cards, but outside of an accident I don't think I'll ever be pulling the cards. I remember when the 900 first came out there were some issues, but didn't know if recent firmwares have made them more stable with better quality. The 750 is another option.

On that note, does the power socket in the rear stay on when the car isn't on? I suppose I can live without it being powered on when not driving since Sentry mode is a thing, but I liked the BlackVue's built in sentry mode.

Originally I was thinking about getting another 2 camera setup, and going whole hog and putting a 900 in the front, my old 650 in the rear, and using the 2 smaller rear cameras as side views, but now TeslaCam covers the sides for me and doing that massive install isn't super appealing.

Any thoughts?