Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some serious help with my charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe that the ground hole should be "up" for normal usage. Right angle plugs normally have the cable hanging down.

Note that the standard Tesla 14-50 adapter plug is this way. If your EVSE has the wire coming out from the same side as the ground pin, then orient accordingly.

Last edited:
You have 99 issues and Tesla is not one of them.
  • Outlets are the least reliable way to charge
  • Off-brand chargers are the least reliable way to charge
  • Using the J1772 adapter is the least reliable way to charge
  • Electricians sometimes know surprisingly little about electricity or screwdrivers
Open service mode and look at the recent errors to see what is causing your charging failures, or sell your generic chargers on Craigslist and get a Tesla version.

Reactions: drdumont
no issues charging it outside in a level 2 charging, I am pretty much narrowing it down to the outlet, (either bad quality or the wiring issue) Ordered a Hubbell HBL9450A and have the electrician installed that on my own expense, and make sure the wiring are all looking good, will report back. Thank you all.

Reactions: drdumont
wow, thank you.. this is very helpful and more clear to me now, I have texted my electrician and he said he will come check. yes, it's a 14-50 outlet, he probably gave me one of the cheap ones...

Will this be a good tester?

No. It will only show it is wired correctly, which you already know. If it was't, the charger would not work at all.

Don’t want to offend, if you paid $10 for the outlet, buyer beware. Quality outlets built for 8+ hours at full amperage are typically $70-100.
There is not always a one-to-one correspondence between quality and price. The Hubbell is the cream of the crop, and is the outlet of choice here. The Leviton outlets have had so many failures reported on here, that nobody should use them.
Let me tell you a story about mac and cheese from when I was a poor college student.

I was shopping at Aldi. There was the Kraft brand mac and cheese. That's the good stuff, and is like the Hubbell. I think it was 44 cents a box.

Then there was a generic brand of mac and cheese. That was 29 cents a box. I'm generally fine with generic brands, and I had had it before, and it was OK. But then I saw this other REEEAALLY generic mac and cheese. It was only 23 cents. But the box was printed in black and white and looked like it had been made from a photocopier. I decided to try it, because really--how could anyone mess up artificial cheese flavored powder and pasta? Well, they did. It was just pathetically flavorless and was not worth saving that extra 6 cents.

So el cheapo super generic nasty mac and cheese is like the Leviton. It's worth going up a step from the very bottom of the barrel to something that's at least medium level and decent.

This
Let me tell you a story about mac and cheese from when I was a poor college student.

I was shopping at Aldi. There was the Kraft brand mac and cheese. That's the good stuff, and is like the Hubbell. I think it was 44 cents a box.

Then there was a generic brand of mac and cheese. That was 29 cents a box. I'm generally fine with generic brands, and I had had it before, and it was OK. But then I saw this other REEEAALLY generic mac and cheese. It was only 23 cents. But the box was printed in black and white and looked like it had been made from a photocopier. I decided to try it, because really--how could anyone mess up artificial cheese flavored powder and pasta? Well, they did. It was just pathetically flavorless and was not worth saving that extra 6 cents.

So el cheapo super generic nasty mac and cheese is like the Leviton. It's worth going up a step from the very bottom of the barrel to something that's at least medium level and decent.
Just my opinion, but someone can afford the All-Clad laminated copper pot to cook the Mac & Cheese in, they can probably afford the Kraft stuff. :)

Reactions: SageBrush
Electrician came back and checked the wires, they are fine.. I gave them the HBL9450A, but the old cover's hole is too small. ahhhh.. What covers do you use for

HBL9450A ?​

I made my own, but you can buy one at the hardware store or Amazon.

Attachments

• 20230517_110620.jpg
    20230517_110620.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Cata and drdumont

I searched the forum, and there are a lot of similiar issues reported by others... I think my problem is very similiar to them. my electrian doesn't think it's the outlet as it never get hot at all.

I will also try out the logging out the tesla app as well.

Just to let you know sometimes it charges fine, other time it stops every couple of minute. I have few apps on the phone that connects to tesla. such as Tessie, Ev.Energy, I am checking to see if I have smart charging setup as well.

I do also want to mention that my friend's tesla 3 was charging at my house last weekend, he never had any issues using my outlet.. charged twice using my juicebox 40a.

Some even mention changing Tesla account Password, which I believe can disable all the access by other 3rd party apps. will try that too and report back.

Last edited:

I searched the forum, and there are a lot of similiar issues reported by others... I think my problem is very similiar to them. my electrian doesn't think it's the outlet as it never get hot at all.

I will also try out the logging out the tesla app as well.

Just to let you know sometimes it charges fine, other time it stops every couple of minute. I have few apps on the phone that connects to tesla. such as Tessie, Ev.Energy, I am checking to see if I have smart charging setup as well.

I do also want to mention that my friend's tesla 3 was charging at my house last weekend, he never had any issues using my outlet.. charged twice using my juicebox 40a.

Some even mention changing Tesla account Password, which I believe can disable all the access by other 3rd party apps. will try that too and report back.
I just remembered that a few months back, the charging adapter (which had come with my car in Dec 2021) began to act erratically, requiring restarts. I don't remember if you are using one, but I took it and the car to the Tesla Service Center in Dallas. After a little discussion, they handed me a new one, took the old one and I've had no problems since. There are some smarts in the box, apparently it just failed. No problem since.

Now that I think about it, ISTR you are using a non Tesla charger. Not sure what Tesla's response would be, but I would sure see if you can find a Tesla adapter and see if you have the same issues. Contrary to some of the posts I have seen, the Tesla service folk both on line and in person have been nothing but attentive to the few issues I have had with three Model 3s.

It's become standard procedure around here to ask people to change their password whenever they report really strange behavior, especially around charging. A lot of people erroneously think that uninstalling the app on their phone stops it from taking action, but in almost all cases, the app just provides an interface for a server somewhere that does all of the actual car control.

Another common problem are apps that keep waking the car up, causing excessive battery drain while parked.

Last edited:
We have the same issue. But, we have two homes where we charge the Tesla and both are set up differently. We have a Nema 14-50 with an extension cord at one house, and a Nema 14-50 with the Juicebox at our other home. The car has the same issue at either location. The car will charge, stop, charge, and I will get five messages from the Tesla app telling me the time and percent/mileage that the car is at.

I have to restart the charge from the app on occasion, or go out to the car and try to get it to charge again. This is for a Sept 2022 build.

We have another car that we plug in, so we didn't want to go with the hardwired Tesla unit.