Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative Camber in the Rear and Expensive Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ride height was from the ground to the highest part of the wheel arch. This is not how Tesla measures it but it will do for what I am doing.
Yeah, Tesla measures from various chassis bolts to the ground, but most people typically measure from center of hub to top of wheel arch which eliminates variations in measurements due to wheel/tire size and tire inflation.

Update: escalating ANOTHER level as apparently Regional Service Manager won't make the call whether I should get some compensation. I did finally get them to agree to at least come get the car and fix it... But they can't come till next Monday. So overall I'll have waited 2 weeks for Ranger service for a car I really can't /shouldn't drive. Lovely $100k paperweight for 2 weeks...

First real problem with my car and can say I'm not at all thrilled with the ranger service I paid for. (or the apparently unempowered service reps and regional service managers...)

Update: escalating ANOTHER level as apparently Regional Service Manager won't make the call whether I should get some compensation. I did finally get them to agree to at least come get the car and fix it... But they can't come till next Monday. So overall I'll have waited 2 weeks for Ranger service for a car I really can't /shouldn't drive. Lovely $100k paperweight for 2 weeks...

First real problem with my car and can say I'm not at all thrilled with the ranger service I paid for. (or the apparently unempowered service reps and regional service managers...)

I admit I have not read every one of the posts so you may have already tried this approach: email George B. This company is growing fast and the growing pains are easiest to see when it comes to making decisions at the 'boots on the ground' level....escalate your concerns a little higher up.

I admit I have not read every one of the posts so you may have already tried this approach: email George B. This company is growing fast and the growing pains are easiest to see when it comes to making decisions at the 'boots on the ground' level....escalate your concerns a little higher up.
Better yet, email Jerome Guillen, Director of Service, who has been tasked to improve the Service Departments. He meets daily at 5pm and reviews certain problematic service incidences: [email protected]

Thanks I did email Jerome and he already responded (working long hours) and that he would look into it immediately (basically we're without being able to use our car for going on 2 weeks for an alignment issue despite paying an extra $4800 for Ranger Service....)

That's great you heard back so quickly. Is the car not drivable or unsafe with its current setup or it just wears the tires too quickly?

Frankly I don't know. But I also don't want to wear through another set of $600 rear tires while waiting for the car to be fixed...
Glad you heard back from someone with the authority to make things right. This company is experiencing some rapid growth growing pains. I believe that now that you have escalated your concerns to the home office you will see some positive results. The home office knows what it means to provide good customer service but people at the local or even regional levels will not or can not make those case by case decisions.

Since contacting Jerome, Tesla has definitely responded and is taking care of things (as they should have right away). Thanks for the email araxara!

Also here are a few more pics of my old tires for later reference. The (severe) wear is on the side of both rears.

20130723_101816_resized.jpg
20130723_101839_resized.jpg
20130723_101852_resized.jpg
20130723_101856_resized.jpg

Since contacting Jerome, Tesla has definitely responded and is taking care of things (as they should have right away). Thanks for the email araxara!

Also here are a few more pics of my old tires for later reference. The (severe) wear is on the side of both rears.

It's amazing you didn't have a blow out.

Let this be a reminder to all of us to check your tires regularly. I picked up a tread depth gauge so I know exactly how things are wearing...

I ran into an interesting issue with the P85+ which was not an issue on my first MS.

I put my 0.210" longer upper links on my new P85+ yesterday (reduces negative camber by 1 degree) and took it to the alignment rack this AM. The left side ran out of toe adjustment at 0.25 degrees of toe in. This is the most I would like to see. There were tons of adjustment on the right side (actually toed out when I got it to the rack) indicating the sub-frame was tilted slightly with respect to the car. If there had been any more toe in on the left we would have been loosening sub-frame bushings and trying to bias the subframe to the left.

I provide this for information purposes only. There are normal manufacturing tolerances associated with building any car. This is why things like toe are adjustable. Without my new upper links, there was plenty enough toe adjustment in the rear of the car to get both wheels pointing as needed. Having the rear subframe not perfectly straight is to be expected provided it is within Tesla's production tolerances and there is sufficient toe adjustment to align the back of the car (which there would be if the sub-frame was within Tesla's spec). In short, this is not a problem with the car; It is an observation stemming from modifying the car.

With respect to the set of rears pictured above, in the absence of reducing toe this car would be a perfect candidate for waiting until the inside edge got to 30% then swapping them across the rear. This would buy you some more range from the tires but that would still be too fast to go through a set of rears. You'll be much happier when they get the toe in line (pun intended). If I had my way, my car would be at 0.10 degrees of toe in on each rear wheel for a total of 0.20 degrees.

There are other problems with those tires as well. The wear on the second rib from the outside shoulder shouldn't be uneven the way it is. It shows up particularly well in the top picture.

> this isn't something you'd see unless you lie down behind the car and look. [carrerascott]

The miles on these photographed tires X is?

So if you had discovered this situation 0.6x miles ago and immediately had the rears flipped on their rims, the result today might be that these tires would be approaching their 'even wear' profile. And you would have had to go easy in the wet whilst running them 'flipped' of course. Also there would be all that unused rubber in center tread that will go unused unless you got into doing burnouts big time. :smile:

In this lucky example what do you estimate total miles might have been? Just in way of summarizing. Thanx.
--

These were discovered at 5500 miles -- didnt think to look before that. They were probably worn before 5k miles. Toe was way off. This was the inside of both rears.

You shouldn't have to rotate the tires before 5k miles on these cars, IMHO. This was a bad alignment from the factory on my car (and Tesla seems to agree).

No burnouts, no crazy driving.

> this isn't something you'd see unless you lie down behind the car and look. [carrerascott]

The miles on these photographed tires X is?

So if you had discovered this situation 0.6x miles ago and immediately had the rears flipped on their rims, the result today might be that these tires would be approaching their 'even wear' profile. And you would have had to go easy in the wet whilst running them 'flipped' of course. Also there would be all that unused rubber in center tread that will go unused unless you got into doing burnouts big time. :smile:

In this lucky example what do you estimate total miles might have been? Just in way of summarizing. Thanx.
--