Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negotiations or freebies when buying??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten Tesla to come down on price at all or throw in some freebies when closing the deal??

Long story short, no. Tesla does not negotiate on price when custom ordering. You "might" get some negotiation on inventory\demo cars but IIRC that's very few and far between. You may be able to score some swag if you order in a gallery versus at hone but there's no guarantees on that...

Jeff

No dealership "negotiation" games

You absolutely hit the nail on the head! I've never felt so reamed in the @$$ as I have when in a traditional car dealership. This is one of the best things with Tesla's buying experience.. The price is the price is the price. They prefer it if you bring your own financing. You don't have to worry you are being screwed on price or on margins/referral commissions with the loan.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
if tesla actually does what they say i'd agree with you take a gander at the june july and august delivery threads and see how many people got jerked around with delivery dates .. for the amount of money your spending this is NOT acceptable

if tesla actually does what they say i'd agree with you take a gander at the june july and august delivery threads and see how many people got jerked around with delivery dates .. for the amount of money your spending this is NOT acceptable
I get tired of this line. Yes, it's a very expensive purchase. But you don't tell your general contractor "hey, you estimated completion a month earlier on my house. For what I'm paying...!!!" Do you expect Tesla to give you a discount cause they were late? Do you expect your contractor to pay a penalty? Okay, the latter does actually happen sometimes, but only on multi-million dollar projects. And I expect it actually works the other way around - a bonus payment if they're on time.

Now I'm not saying that Tesla shouldn't improve their time estimates and communication, I'm just saying that regardless of price, we expect a reputable company to deliver on promises. It's more about brand image and flat out staying in business (unless you have a monopoly - which Tesla basically does in the long range pure EV market, but not for long, and certainly not in the auto market as a whole).

Reactions: TJunkers
I get tired of this line. Yes, it's a very expensive purchase. But you don't tell your general contractor "hey, you estimated completion a month earlier on my house. For what I'm paying...!!!" Do you expect Tesla to give you a discount cause they were late? Do you expect your contractor to pay a penalty? Okay, the latter does actually happen sometimes, but only on multi-million dollar projects. And I expect it actually works the other way around - a bonus payment if they're on time.

Actually yes I do and did so when they were building my house. Coming from the Federal/Defense contractor side of the house they do it ALL THE TIME you don't hit a deliverable they take money away you don't come close to doing it they hold payment. If it was something as simple as a legit production delay I might be forgiving of that, but to tell me july then come back and tell me hey your car isn't even hitting the factory until august is a straight up lie you never had any intention of even thinking about july why tell me it was a possibility i paid for a result not an excuse.

FWIW, when I got my VIN, tesla said I would be getting vehicle between late June and early July. Hadn't heard a peep from my DS since getting the VIN and was expecting it in July. Last week in June, my DS finally reached out to me and said I could pick it up as early as June 27th. I actually picked it up on June 30th, due to the last minute notice, and having to arrange transport.

So in this one case, Tesla delivered on time. I think the majority of deliveries prior to mine were delayed, most of them significantly. I think moving forward, the delays will become less of an issue as they ramp up and have a predictable build cycle. This is a short-term issue that will resolve itself.

The irony is that I was hoping to delay mine as long as possible, to ensure I got a build with fewer issues. I would have gladly swapped my position in the queue for any one of you that are complaining of delays. :)

• Funny
Reactions: YBT
Actually yes I do and did so when they were building my house. Coming from the Federal/Defense contractor side of the house they do it ALL THE TIME you don't hit a deliverable they take money away you don't come close to doing it they hold payment. If it was something as simple as a legit production delay I might be forgiving of that, but to tell me july then come back and tell me hey your car isn't even hitting the factory until august is a straight up lie you never had any intention of even thinking about july why tell me it was a possibility i paid for a result not an excuse.
Heh, why am I not surprised? (said light-heartedly)

Yup, those would be the big contracts I was referring to. At risk of sounding stupid because I'm not really familiar with this, but I have some guesses: those big government defense contracts had penalties and costs directly referenced in the contracts, no? And both parties willingly signed the contract, no? Big defense contractors have one, or a small number of possible clients, yes? So these clients have some amount of leverage to say "you will do this, by this time, or you won't get paid". Cause if the contractor decides they don't want the risk of such onerous clauses, they have no one else to even try to sell to.

Did you try get a similar penalty clause in your order agreement when you ordered with Tesla? I'm guessing not. And if you did, do you really think they'd sign such a contract? No, because if they lose your business, they have plenty of other customers lining up that are much easier to deal with. Approximately 400,000 of them for the Model 3. Even for S and X, they obviously can't keep the factory running fast enough to satisfy demand. But if it got to the point that they pissed off a large enough number of them that they couldn't pay their development and operational costs, then they would go under. All of which is irrelevant to the actual price of each individual goods sold.

It's a balancing act for Tesla. They're trying to scale things (both production and people - sales, service, etc.) incredibly quickly. Sometimes there will be difficult, hard to please customers (like you - but that's not necessarily a bad thing - the difficult customers often raise the bar so that the rest of us get a better experience without having to whine and push and complain to get it). A few will be unhappy. As long as that number is small enough that it doesn't materially impact the business, it's worth it to them rather than not selling any product until it's already perfected, or waiting until they've hired enough people that they know will give the customer a good experience.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head! I've never felt so reamed in the @$$ as I have when in a traditional car dealership. This is one of the best things with Tesla's buying experience.. The price is the price is the price. They prefer it if you bring your own financing. You don't have to worry you are being screwed on price or on margins/referral commissions with the loan.
Every time I bought a new car I left the dealership feeling a little sore in the backside :) I turned in a Lexus lease in May and spent 4 1/2 hours hagglling for a price on a new one. At the start I was told" no way can I do that". They did it eventually but I was so frustrated! I love the way ordering my S was so easy. I changed options several times before ordering but had fun doing it

Heh, why am I not surprised? (said light-heartedly)

Yup, those would be the big contracts I was referring to. At risk of sounding stupid because I'm not really familiar with this, but I have some guesses: those big government defense contracts had penalties and costs directly referenced in the contracts, no? And both parties willingly signed the contract, no? Big defense contractors have one, or a small number of possible clients, yes? So these clients have some amount of leverage to say "you will do this, by this time, or you won't get paid". Cause if the contractor decides they don't want the risk of such onerous clauses, they have no one else to even try to sell to.

Did you try get a similar penalty clause in your order agreement when you ordered with Tesla? I'm guessing not. And if you did, do you really think they'd sign such a contract? No, because if they lose your business, they have plenty of other customers lining up that are much easier to deal with. Approximately 400,000 of them for the Model 3. Even for S and X, they obviously can't keep the factory running fast enough to satisfy demand. But if it got to the point that they pissed off a large enough number of them that they couldn't pay their development and operational costs, then they would go under. All of which is irrelevant to the actual price of each individual goods sold.

It's a balancing act for Tesla. They're trying to scale things (both production and people - sales, service, etc.) incredibly quickly. Sometimes there will be difficult, hard to please customers (like you - but that's not necessarily a bad thing - the difficult customers often raise the bar so that the rest of us get a better experience without having to whine and push and complain to get it). A few will be unhappy. As long as that number is small enough that it doesn't materially impact the business, it's worth it to them rather than not selling any product until it's already perfected, or waiting until they've hired enough people that they know will give the customer a good experience.
Im not actually hard to please and while im upset about the whole delivery thing it was completely avoidable if they were not preaching july from sales all the way to order i wouldn't have held them to it thats what they told me i sold my car moved some money around based off the month THEY set. If that was never the intention dont wait until after you took my money and i cant do anything about it short of taking you to court to tell me you were wrong and start throwing the word estimate around ..if you had told me upfront it was an estimate none of this would have happened ... and thats just my issue i wont even get into the other people who were convinced into upgrading options on the promise of an earlier delivery.

If i was a vendor to tesla and i pulled this same stunt with them tell me i wouldnt be getting sued right now

but looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree and just sum it up as there communication and customer service skills need to be improved.

Reactions: beths11
Every time I bought a new car I left the dealership feeling a little sore in the backside :) I turned in a Lexus lease in May and spent 4 1/2 hours hagglling for a price on a new one. At the start I was told" no way can I do that". They did it eventually but I was so frustrated! I love the way ordering my S was so easy. I changed options several times before ordering but had fun doing it
you aint lying there we JUST bought my wifes new car last month and i still feel violated.

Im not actually hard to please and while im upset about the whole delivery thing it was completely avoidable if they were not preaching july from sales all the way to order i wouldn't have held them to it thats what they told me i sold my car moved some money around based off the month THEY set. If that was never the intention dont wait until after you took my money and i cant do anything about it short of taking you to court to tell me you were wrong and start throwing the word estimate around ..if you had told me upfront it was an estimate none of this would have happened ... and thats just my issue i wont even get into the other people who were convinced into upgrading options on the promise of an earlier delivery.

If i was a vendor to tesla and i pulled this same stunt with them tell me i wouldnt be getting sued right now

but looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree and just sum it up as there communication and customer service skills need to be improved.
Totally agree with you on them not clearly communicating that their original estimate is an estimate. Mine said May; I ended up with late June. It wasn't surprising when news started surfacing that they had a huge seat recall and then QA issues that essentially halted the factory, just days after I ordered. And honestly my wife was getting in a tizzy about knowing other people with higher VINs, and further from California than us, were getting their cars and we still had no end in sight.

If you were a vendor to Tesla, Tesla likely had the negotiation leverage to put underperformance penalties into the contract. Again, as the consumer, you don't have that leverage, and nowhere in the order agreement does it even refer to promised/estimated delivery dates. The final purchase agreement that you get shortly before delivery does have an "VEHICLE TO BE DELIVERED ON OR ABOUT:", but it definitely has the "or about" language that gives them the legal leeway to hold your car indefinitely.

I think the point you're missing is I see no problem with your complaining about the misrepresented estimates and the delays. I just get annoyed by the "but omg it costs so much so this shouldn't be happening!!" part. In large contracts at work, I also get annoyed by customers that think they're so big that we should bend over backwards doing ridiculous things to please them. In reality, it's usually not worth the money they're paying us to have to support a customer that needs so much attention.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think the point you're missing is I see no problem with your complaining about the misrepresented estimates and the delays. I just get annoyed by the "but omg it costs so much so this shouldn't be happening!!" part. In large contracts at work, I also get annoyed by customers that think they're so big that we should bend over backwards doing ridiculous things to please them. In reality, it's usually not worth the money they're paying us to have to support a customer that needs so much attention.
fair enough the whole lack of tone thing over the internet kind of makes it hard to interpret meaning sometimes