Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-30 Installed from the Main Panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a lot of suggestions from this forum, which I really appreciate. I end up with installing the NEMA 14-30 outlet from the main panel, which seems to be more reasonable.
First time outlet and breaker DIY, let me know if there are any mistakes so I can correct to be safe. Thanks in advance.

3 things I will do while waiting for the materials: 1. Gorilla spray seals the crevice around the 8/3 wire; 2. Use a wire staple to fix the wire to the stud. 3. Use several zip ties to bundle the wires in the main panel.

Materials used in this project for those who want to DIY (let me know I will remove these item details if any rule of this forum is violated):

Grainger:

BRYANT Receptacle: Industrial, Single, Flush Mount, 30 A, 125/250V AC, NEMA 14-30R, Black $45

HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS Single Receptacle Wall Plate: 2 Gangs, Std, Silver, Stainless Steel $20

HD:

#8/3 wires solid (due to the #10/3 shortage) $30

Eaton 2 pole 30 amps CH breaker $30

SouthwireSmart Box 2-Gang Adjustable Depth Device Box $15

Total costs: $140 + vs bids from the professionals ($500 - 1300)
1658182125032.png

1658182137688.png

1658182148700.png

1658182156672.png

1658182167273.png

1658182174726.png

1658182184448.png

1658182193238.png

1658182199330.png

1658182207956.png

Reactions: Big Earl
I think that's supposed to be a GFCI breaker in most locales.

I don't think I'd ziptie anything in the panel. Its unnecessary, and you don't want to add anything that will bundle wires or add fuel to any potential fire.
Thanks for the inputs. I guess I can let the wires like that. I am not sure but I doubt about the GFCI is required here in Texas. I got several quotes from the professionals and no one said GFCI will be installed.

I think that's supposed to be a GFCI breaker in most locales.
Yes it is.
I am not sure but I doubt about the GFCI is required here in Texas.
Your doubt doesn't change the fact. That requirement was put in the 2017 version of NEC and carries forward into future versions. Texas is on the 2020 version of NEC now.

I got several quotes from the professionals and no one said GFCI will be installed.
We're seeing this constantly all around the country. Most electricians are woefully uninformed about this particular requirement. If you get it inspected (and if the inspector actually bothers to show up) he or she should fail it for not meeting that requirement. That is one of the main reasons why it is becoming easier and more cost effective to just recommend the wall connector these days. That stupid GFCI breaker requirement is a pain, and the hard wired wall connectors don't have to have it.

Yes it is.

Your doubt doesn't change the fact. That requirement was put in the 2017 version of NEC and carries forward into future versions. Texas is on the 2020 version of NEC now.

We're seeing this constantly all around the country. Most electricians are woefully uninformed about this particular requirement. If you get it inspected (and if the inspector actually bothers to show up) he or she should fail it for not meeting that requirement. That is one of the main reasons why it is becoming easier and more cost effective to just recommend the wall connector these days. That stupid GFCI breaker requirement is a pain, and the hard wired wall connectors don't have to have it.
Thanks for pointing this out. I found out Texas applies NEC 2020, which means we should install GFCI breakers.

Yes it is.

Is it the right breaker for my scenario?

Eaton Cutler-Hammer CH230GF Ground Fault GFCI Circuit Breaker, 2-Pole, 30A, 120/240V​

The only thing I would add is that in almost all locales (there are exceptions), installing a new circuit like this requires a permit and inspection, even for DIY. Doing so will protect you from having issues during a future sale, or being required to meet some future code requirement if the install is questioned later.

Or worst case, something unfortunate happens to your house/garage, like an electrical fire, and your insurance company finds out that some work done on your panel or wiring wasn't permitted or inspected, and denies your insurance claim.

The only thing I would add is that in almost all locales (there are exceptions), installing a new circuit like this requires a permit and inspection, even for DIY. Doing so will protect you from having issues during a future sale, or being required to meet some future code requirement if the install is questioned later.
Thank you. I will write this into in my list so when I sell the house I will remember to remove the breaker as well as the outlet.

Or worst case, something unfortunate happens to your house/garage, like an electrical fire, and your insurance company finds out that some work done on your panel or wiring wasn't permitted or inspected, and denies your insurance claim.
Thanks. I didn't think about this, but it is very important. I guess I need to check the code and see if I really want to take that risk.

I am just curious. When I got quotes from the professionals (5 different electricians), no one said anything about the permit and inspection. It seems I am still taking the risk no matter either DIYing or hiring someone else. What is the right way to do it? I am thinking it might be difficult to ask the electrician to pull the permit and get the job inspected without costing a fortune.

I would assume that it takes some time and possibly a lot of effort in order to go down to whatever governmental agency that issues the permits and then arrange for an inspector to check things out. You can probably do this yourself and save some labor time that the electrician would charge you otherwise.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am just curious. When I got quotes from the professionals (5 different electricians), no one said anything about the permit and inspection. It seems I am still taking the risk no matter either DIYing or hiring someone else. What is the right way to do it? I am thinking it might be difficult to ask the electrician to pull the permit and get the job inspected without costing a fortune.
Yeah, a lot of electricians leave the permit out, trying to low-ball their bid. You can either request them to have it permitted (and they will charge you more), or pull the permit and have it inspected yourself. You'll have to have it inspected before drywall is patched up, and if it doesn't pass, you'll have to have an awkward discussion with the electrician (more awkward for them than for you).

Yeah, a lot of electricians leave the permit out, trying to low-ball their bid. You can either request them to have it permitted (and they will charge you more), or pull the permit and have it inspected yourself. You'll have to have it inspected before drywall is patched up, and if it doesn't pass, you'll have to have an awkward discussion with the electrician (more awkward for them than for you).
Thanks for the information.