Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-30 Voltage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My home has a 220v 30amp breaker, but Tesla recommends a 240v 30amp breaker for the NEMA 14-30. Does this difference in voltage matter?

There is no such thing as 220V residential in the US except in a few rare cases since WW2. Is this an existing circuit to a different outlet? Unless the breaker/outlet is in poor/worn/aged condition you should be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is no 220V; that's just some old terminology from a century ago that grandpas still say. All residential electric in the U.S. is actually 240V.

Industrial commercial buildings have a bit different system that ends up having 208V as their higher version (don't need to get into why), but the breakers and other equipment can be used for that interchangeably on the 208V or 240V stuff.

Reactions: Bill Foster
It should work from 200v to 265v. The big question that nobody can seem to answer is if it will work up to 290v (277v commercial power).
Teslas used to support 277v for HPWC installations. Do they still? Nobody seems to know.

Gen2 does work up to around 290 or beyond, although 277 support was removed from the manual in later revisions. I don't know about Gen3, but I bet it doesn't 'officially' support 277 either.

Reactions: Bill Foster