Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 charging 8 miles per hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I just had a licensed electrician install the Nema 14-50 wall socket. Today I got the Nema 14-50 adapter and connected it to the mobile charger which comes with the car. But the car was charging only at 8 amps which is 8 miles per hour. I was not able to increase the amps in the car as the option to increase it is grayed out. Has anyone experienced the same issue and can you please let me know how did you resolve it?

Regards
S

U didn't give us enough info? Car?
What CB did he install? What voltage? What size service does your house have? 100, 200, 400, Amps?
I installed a 220v 50 amp double CB, mine charges at 22 miles per hour.
The car sees the size of the breaker and adjust to it.
You r getting power at a 110v 15 amp rate. U should be able to see the voltage and amp on the screen? I have an antique and I can see what the host power is. There is a hotel in town that has a 200amp breaker. My dual chargers see it and charge at 40amps.
I plugged into Hilton hotel, the charger pole started smoking. It was wired wrong. I caught it before it hurt my car.

Does the car report 8/8 or 8/32A? If the car's reporting 8/8, the mobile connector is reporting a limit of 8A, which shouldn't happen - none of the plug adapters for the mobile connector are that low. If it is reporting 8/32, it might have detected a voltage drop and reduced the amperage... but I believe in that case you would have been able to increase it back up (but you shouldn't unless you believe the problem is fixed).

You're probably going to have to contact Tesla, but first I'd make sure the adapter is plugged all the way into the mobile connector.

@San1234

What voltage is shown on the charging screen? If a lot lower than 240 V, your electrician probably wired the 14-50 outlet incorrectly.

Also look at the amp displayed is it showing 8 A max? “8/8”. Or 32 A max like it should with a 14-50? “8/32”

Good Luck,

GSP

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan and davewill
What CB did he install? What voltage? What size service does your house have? 100, 200, 400, Amps?
You r getting power at a 110v 15 amp rate. U should be able to see the voltage and amp on the screen? I have an antique and I can see what the host power is. There is a hotel in town that has a 200amp breaker. My dual chargers see it and charge at 40amps.
I plugged into Hilton hotel, the charger pole started smoking. It was wired wrong. I caught it before it hurt my car.
Not this again. The car does NOT see the breaker size. @Lasttoy, you really need to stop posting about charging and electricity because you don’t know what you’re talking about and you say dangerous things. I’ve said before that he needs to be ignored.

Hi

The car shows 8/8 amps.

Regards
S
And the voltage? Also are you showing a green light at the charging port? Are there any error messages on the screen? Are you able to try your car and UMC on a different 14-50 circuit? Can you check to be sure the adapter is plugged all thre way into the UMC?

This isn't a normal behavior, so we need to do a little troubleshooting. I'm leaning towards something wrong with the UMC, at the moment, but you haven't given us enough info to even guess well.

Is the NEMA adapter fully plugged in to the charger? When I got my 3 and plugged it in to the charger I was only getting about 10 amps. It wasn’t fully plugged in. When I plugged it in all the way I got full 32 amps.

Please stop posting

My car has had charginging issues since v9. The technician has gone with me at least 4 times.
He said my car senses the output of the house 14.50. Here is the output of the 50 amp breaker.
I can only go by what they verify. I could not use any supercharger for 4 months after v9 until a patch was installed.
As u can see by the second pic I just took at a 100 amp system, I'm drawing 80 amps.
My parts were built in 2012 as verified by Tesla. I have dual inverters as u can tell by my amps going to 80.
Example. I was in Arlington Va a few weeks ago. I went to brand new chargers (very small poles , so new there no numbers or stripes).
Plugged in, only get 45 amps. I called Draper, he said move, I did, 48, he had me move 5 times. He finally said all the chargers were bad.
He asked me if I could make it to Potomac Mills? I said yes. He gave me 30 minutes. I got to Potomac Mills, plugged in, bingo 112amps.
I could continue trip home.
I have approximately 6 to 8 hours on the phone with Tesla, and at least 4 trips with technician. It's always been a software issue. I would have paid to get it fixed, they said it's not my hardware. U guys that perfect cars, I'm happy for u. My first 2 yrs were. As I said, I can only go by what Draper says. I had a ranger come to car one time, same story, it's the software.

Attachments

• 20190706_170841.jpg
    20190706_170841.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 293
  • 20190706_173511.jpg
    20190706_173511.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 152
My car has had charginging issues since v9. The technician has gone with me at least 4 times.
He said my car senses the output of the house 14.50. Here is the output of the 50 amp breaker.
I can only go by what they verify. I could not use any supercharger for 4 months after v9 until a patch was installed.
As u can see by the second pic I just took at a 100 amp system, I'm drawing 80 amps.
My parts were built in 2012 as verified by Tesla. I have dual inverters as u can tell by my amps going to 80.
Example. I was in Arlington Va a few weeks ago. I went to brand new chargers (very small poles , so new there no numbers or stripes).
Plugged in, only get 45 amps. I called Draper, he said move, I did, 48, he had me move 5 times. He finally said all the chargers were bad.
He asked me if I could make it to Potomac Mills? I said yes. He gave me 30 minutes. I got to Potomac Mills, plugged in, bingo 112amps.
I have approximately 6 to 8 hours on the phone with Tesla, and at least 4 trips with technician. It's always been a software issue. I would have paid to get it fixed, they said it's not my hardware. U guys that perfect cars, I'm happy for u. My first 2 yrs were. As I said, I can only go by what Draper says. I had a ranger come to car one time, same story, it's the software.
The adapters on the MC indicate the max current for the plug type. The wall connector has an internal switch set to the circuit/ breaker size. The car has no other way to know allowable current (although it will reduce charge rate if there is too much voltage drop).

Superchargers like Arlington, VA and Potomac Mills do not display a charge rate in amps, they display it in kilowatts. Arlington has known issues right now and they’re either slow or don’t work.

No offense, but if you don’t know the difference between amps and kilowatts, you shouldn’t be posting charging advice. The things you’re saying can get someone in trouble.

Superchargers like Arlington, VA and Potomac Mills do not display a charge rate in amps, they display it in kilowatts. Arlington has known issues right now and they’re either slow or don’t work.

No offense, but if you don’t know the difference between amps and kilowatts, you shouldn’t be posting charging advice. The things you’re saying can get someone in trouble.
Not only that, but what happens with supercharging has nothing to do with what happens with AC charging. Supercharging bypasses the charger in the car.

V=IR

• Love
Reactions: GZDongles
Hi

I just had a licensed electrician install the Nema 14-50 wall socket. Today I got the Nema 14-50 adapter and connected it to the mobile charger which comes with the car. But the car was charging only at 8 amps which is 8 miles per hour. I was not able to increase the amps in the car as the option to increase it is grayed out. Has anyone experienced the same issue and can you please let me know how did you resolve it?

Regards
S
It happened to me also. I read in the blog below that the adapter may not been plugged all the way in. When I checked, that was the case for me too. I pushed it all the way in and it started to charge at 33 miles/hr. The Nema 14-50 adapter from Tesla seems a bit loose and can easily slip out a bit making it charge at a lesser rate. Now I always have to check to see if the adapter is all the way in to the cable. Hope this helps. Best.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
It happened to me also. I read in the blog below that the adapter may not been plugged all the way in. When I checked, that was the case for me too. I pushed it all the way in and it started to charge at 33 miles/hr. The Nema 14-50 adapter from Tesla seems a bit loose and can easily slip out a bit making it charge at a lesser rate. Now I always have to check to see if the adapter is all the way in to the cable. Hope this helps. Best