Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't sound too crazy. Adding a subpanel is probably close to a grand by itself (I can't recall the cost when I added one for our spa on the old house but total electrical was like 1600). Conduit and wire aren't all that expensive but running wire through a wall and then through 20 feet of conduit is a bit of labor.
While that may be normal for an electrician that is high for a DIY as I put in a sub panel and 2 NEMA 14-50 plugs for $300 and about 5 hours of my time.

Reactions: Nocturnal
another question. Do I pull permits for the job?
Some electricians said “we always recommend it, but on a small job like this most people don’t.”
Another company said we pull permits on every single job
In PA

Check local laws- here for example the law requires you to do permits period, and while nobody seems to really enforce that it could potentially come up when you try and sell the house depending how thorough the buyers are in inspecting the place.

My installation cost me $1000 for parts (not including HPWCs) and took 12 hours to install. But I'm a slow and methodical worker and it was my first time bending and installing conduit. Pulling #3 wire is a royal PITA as well. A second person would have made the job a lot easier and quicker.

My installation cost me $1000 for parts (not including HPWCs) and took 12 hours to install. But I'm a slow and methodical worker and it was my first time bending and installing conduit. Pulling #3 wire is a royal PITA as well. A second person would have made the job a lot easier and quicker.
Yeah, pulling it was not fun. I used a ton of cable lube and flexible conduit which helped a little.

Can the 14-50 be on the sub panel or does it need to be in the main panel?
1 electrician said it does the other said it didn’t

I don't think it matters by code. My personal preference would be to have the least connection points on the high load/high use device. So I would *try* to get the breaker for the 14-50 in the main panel and shift out a few other loads.

However, with that said, my preference could be strongly influenced by cost. I wouldn't not pay a pile more cash for that option.

Reactions: eprosenx