Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Plug Install Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model 3 this past Friday night. Sent out a project for NEMA 14-50 install on Saturday via Thumbtack. Received a $450 and a $180 along with others asking for more details. The $180 guy came Sunday morning and installed the outlet with about a 20-ft run.

Thanks for the tip about thumbtack. I've got a guy (via thumbtack) coming this weekend for $175. I've lots of experience with electrical work (wired my addition myself), so I'll know if he does a good job.

I ordered my Model 3 this past Friday night. Sent out a project for NEMA 14-50 install on Saturday via Thumbtack. Received a $450 and a $180 along with others asking for more details. The $180 guy came Sunday morning and installed the outlet with about a 20-ft run.

Wow. Thanks a good price. I just put in my order on Monday and live in Houston. Can you send me your installer guy's info.

...The funny thing was that ONE of the tesla.com provided electricians gave me one quote and then I am near certain that when I contacted them directly and said "I'd like to just install a 14-50 for my company supplied BOLT", I got a price that was 225$ lower than the same quote for the 14-50 install from the tesla.com provided electrician quote. ...
It's not impossible that there are costs involved with being listed with Tesla that they are trying to recoup.

No most homes are not 100A panel. You’re missing the bigger danger of having a 60A breaker on what should be a 50A circuit.
I would suggest that most US homes are equipped with 100A or smaller main panels. Through WWII, 30A fuse boxes were the norm. During the 50s, circuit breakers gradually replaced fuses with panel sizes generally up to 60A. As late as the mid 70s, 100A was considered ample, so most tract houses got them, but 60A main service panels were still widely available at least into the early 80s. Nowadays, 100A main panels are the smallest available but a 200A or larger panel is most often required.

Wow. Thanks a good price. I just put in my order on Monday and live in Houston. Can you send me your installer guy's info.
Thanks for the tip about thumbtack. I've got a guy (via thumbtack) coming this weekend for $175. I've lots of experience with electrical work (wired my addition myself), so I'll know if he does a good job.
Where in NJ. I’m in watchung and planning to get it installed soon.
Was the guy good?

Where in NJ. I’m in watchung and planning to get it installed soon.
Was the guy good?

He was from Somerset. I'm in Branchburg (near Somerville). He did good work. Scared me a bit because he didn't turn off my solar array when he worked on the panel. His quote was "175 total price". Turns out he didn't include parts in his total price. He was willing to eat the difference, but I paid the extra 50 and told him to watch his wording. In and out in under 45 minutes.

Reactions: dmurphy
He was from Somerset. I'm in Branchburg (near Somerville). He did good work. Scared me a bit because he didn't turn off my solar array when he worked on the panel. His quote was "175 total price". Turns out he didn't include parts in his total price. He was willing to eat the difference, but I paid the extra 50 and told him to watch his wording. In and out in under 45 minutes.

Do you mind sharing his contact info ... would really appreciate it

My NEMA 14-50 gets installed tomorrow. He has to upgrade my old farm house 100A main panel to a 125A panel and the run is 100 ft. Denver Colorado $1500-$2000. included is this price is another run for dedicated 120v for running air compressor.

I would suggest that most US homes are equipped with 100A or smaller main panels. Through WWII, 30A fuse boxes were the norm. During the 50s, circuit breakers gradually replaced fuses with panel sizes generally up to 60A. As late as the mid 70s, 100A was considered ample, so most tract houses got them, but 60A main service panels were still widely available at least into the early 80s. Nowadays, 100A main panels are the smallest available but a 200A or larger panel is most often required.
I think every house built after about 1990 where I live has a 200A or more panel. Mine did. 100A is just too small if you have an electric range and dryer, IMO. Some even more modern McMansions I've to have double utility rooms and double ovens plus electric central AC. That's a lot of power if they're all in use at once.

I have 200amp breaker panel since my house is 4 years old. Hardly use more than 70amps. Got 2x NEMA 14-50 installed. One indoor and one outdoor. Both were like 2 feet from panel. Paid about $350 for both including parts and labor. They had to drill through stone exterior.

Keep in mind that installation price varies greatly IMHO from the factors (outside of labor rates etc.)
1. Permit or no permit. (I would have to say that a NEMA 14-50 for a welding torch is not the same as charging an EV. One is a continuous load while the other is not.) Permits drive cost considerably if the electrician needs to file paperwork, spend half day waiting for inspector to show up, and pay permit fees ~$150 for fee.
2. GFCI breakers or regular breakers. In use covers for outdoor.

Some of the prices above, being so cheap, appear to be Romex NM cable stapled to unfinished garages (no conduit), no permit, and standard breakers. Not saying it can't be done cheap. I am knowledgeable enough to install it myself for a permitted install, and spent more on parts & fees alone (GFCI, in use cover, inside garage 1" conduit, 8' run with two elbows, permit fees, pricey wire and my time free) than some quotes above.

Keep in mind that installation price varies greatly IMHO from the factors (outside of labor rates etc.)
1. Permit or no permit. (I would have to say that a NEMA 14-50 for a welding torch is not the same as charging an EV. One is a continuous load while the other is not.) Permits drive cost considerably if the electrician needs to file paperwork, spend half day waiting for inspector to show up, and pay permit fees ~$150 for fee.
2. GFCI breakers or regular breakers. In use covers for outdoor.

Some of the prices above, being so cheap, appear to be Romex NM cable stapled to unfinished garages (no conduit), no permit, and standard breakers. Not saying it can't be done cheap. I am knowledgeable enough to install it myself for a permitted install, and spent more on parts & fees alone (GFCI, in use cover, inside garage 1" conduit, 8' run with two elbows, permit fees, pricey wire and my time free) than some quotes above.

GFCI 50amp breaker cost alone is $100. GFCI is overkill for indoor and for outdoor I thought for a day but the box I put is rated for outdoors and the way the box is setup for me I can just caulk or tape around stone.

About permit - Not every county needs it. So again YMMV on permit costs as you already said so and I agree.

Im in NY. I had a 200 line put in when we moved in. Recently had Electrican come put in a 50amp line for my 14-50 install. $250. But my run was short as my box is in garage.

He’s a great Electrican if anyone needs in the Westchester county area.

Paid $125 for my 14-50 installation, plus I supplied the recommended $75 commercial outlet. Basically the simplest installation possible- mounted directly below the box in the garage (finished, so he had a little fiddling with the drywall). No permits required.