Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 vs 6-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i beg to differ with you on the outlets not being intended to be plugged and unplugged. Have had Class A motorhome 45ft and it uses this plug and never had any issues at all the RV parks being plugged in and out daily ... it is just like any other plug.. but should be turned off before inserting the plug and unplugging them.. don't need an arc when you plug or unplug happening
A little clarify on my comment is needed. What I was referring to is that many people with 14-50 outlets plug in the UMC when they charge and then unplug them very often, such as when they head out so they can keep the UMC in the car. This is greatly more than someone would do in their motor home. Not an issue of course for those who simply leave the UMC plugged in.

Last edited:
The 14-50 receptacles found at RV Parks are specifically designed for use with higher volume of plug and unplug operations when supplying power for motorhomes. These receptacles cost several times as much as the 14-50 receptacles used in the home.
That could be true also.. never thought about that fact.. had one in my garage where i stored my RV and had it installed by an electrician ..never mentioned what type of plug he used but it worked fine for several years.. but not like at an rv park.. thanks..

I think it's the following:

Daniel Kerber, Kerber Electric
774-230-6460
[email protected]

he's was Huntington Beach when I used him 2 years ago
he had recently relocated here (phone area code is MA)

I had him supply 8 feet of conductors and a breaker, and install same after detaching runs for a dryer circuit that was repurposed for a NEMA 15-5 outlet.
I did the conduit run and outlet fixture myself, sourced from Home Depot and a local electrical distributor.