Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 6-15 Adapter Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, this is quite a surprise. I'm starting to get my hopes up that more may be on the way.

As for the orientation, it is a little curious. I'm betting they found that 6-15s are equally likely to be installed ground-up as ground-down...

I think I just wet myself

I have been waiting forever for something like this to plug into the side of my quick220 box

Not to mention damn near every single motel in the country uses this for their HVAC units. Back the car up to the door, run the cord to the car and you are all set for a decent overnight charge.

When you mentioned hotel air conditioners, I thought it wouldn’t work, because those are 6-20, but I see that they do the same kind of one-way compatibility, where the 20 amp outlet will also accept 15 amp plugs, like they do with 120V outlets.

As for the orientation, it is a little curious. I'm betting they found that 6-15s are equally likely to be installed ground-up as ground-down...

Not equally, but close enough. Most of them are installed ground-down, but plenty are ground-up. There is no standard, and electricians like to make up reasons for their favorite approach. Those who advocate ground-up generally offer that if a wire / metal receptacle cover / etc. falls, it falls on the ground first if the plug is slightly exposed. Those who advocate ground-down generally offer that if a plug is being pulled out, the ground is the last to go. Neither seems really compelling to warrant "this is the way it should be done". My machine shed has the 120V receptacles installed ground-up, my home has them ground-down, all based on who did the electric work.

Wow, this is quite a surprise. I'm starting to get my hopes up that more may be on the way.

I am seeing something completely different (if the Tesla pic is accurate). I am seeing L1 or L2 in the "up" position, which is even more :confused: bizarre. Again, if the pic is correct, it would require the work box to be mounted sideways (SRSLY!?!?!?) for the brick and short cable section to hang/be supported vertical. Many motel/hotel 6-20’s are tucked in very close quarters directly underneath the heat, A/C unit where the workbox is indeed sideways and the power supply cord runs horizontal, this would not allow the Tesla 6-15 UMC to even fit (maybe that's Tesla's intent). Very confused here.....but glad to have another Tesla UMC adapter that charges at ~9mph, especially for owners that don't have the load calcs to permit a 14-50 now that the very desirable (for some) code adhering 14-30 is discontinued. As I have said several times:

more Tesla UMC adapters = fewer home made/3rd party adapters = fewer failure points = safer charging = higher TSLA

Last edited:
I am seeing something completely different (if the Tesla pic is accurate). I am seeing L1 or L2 in the "up" position, which is even more :confused: bizarre. Again, if the pic is correct, it would require the work box to be mounted sideways (SRSLY!?!?!?) for the brick and short cable section to hang/be supported vertical. Many motel/hotel 6-20’s are tucked in very close quarters directly underneath the heat, A/C unit where the workbox is indeed sideways and the power supply cord runs horizontal, this would not allow the Tesla 6-15 UMC to even fit (maybe that's Tesla's intent). Very confused here.....but glad to have another Tesla UMC adapter that charges at ~9mph, especially for owners that don't have the load calcs to permit a 14-50 now that the very desirable (for some) code adhering 14-30 is discontinued. As I have said several times:

more Tesla UMC adapters = fewer home made/3rd party adapters = fewer failure points = safer charging = higher TSLA

Now that the NEC requires 240V plug-in EVSE's to be "fastened in place", I'm guessing they're assuming you'll support it somehow. For hotels, it's not an issue because the receptacles are generally near the floor anyway, and the UMC can lie sideways on the floor. For other areas, you'll have to support it a bit.

When I wired my workshop I used a 6-15 outlet for my table saw, only because I had run 14/2 romex. Had a hard time finding the outlet. Definitely obscure and much less common than the 6-20.

I put a 6-20R in my garage for a tablesaw with a 6-15P. The 6-20R can take either 6-15P or 6-20P.

It's about 6 feet from my HPWC, so it's not really useful for charging, but it can deliver 241V. When I was building an adapter collection a la CosmacElf, I found I could get 12 mph rated range over 6-20R->6-20P -> 9 foot 12awg extension -> 5-20R->UMC 5-20P.

I liked this so much I built a 50 foot version and can still get 11 mph over it. 12awg SJOOW. I found myself downconverting from a 10-30 one time so I could use it, because I couldn't get the car any closer than that. (it's actually a 5-15P to 5-20R)(it's not much heavier or bulkier than a 50 foot contractor type cord, which is less than half what an awg10, or quarter of what an awg6 cord of similar length would be.)

seems to me the typical motel heater/air conditioner plug is 8 feet or more from the door, which is at least 6 feet across a walkway from the door. using just the UMC with the new adapter, this a just-barely thing. I haven't actually tried it but if patterns hold, it'll be good for 8mph or so. give me my 6-20 extension...

--Snortybartfast

Mine just arrived. In case anyone is interested, I took a few photos. It uses the newer gray plastic on UMC mating face. Also has a small protrusion, not sure what that's for.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 100
6-15 plugs are compatible with 6-20 outlets, just like 5-15 and 5-20. You won't get the benefit of pulling 16A, and will be stuck with only 12A, but you can still plug in to that 6-20 air conditioner outlet.

Yes, I do know that, but that’s the weird move. 6-15 outlets basically don’t exist out in the wild; 6-20 outlets do. So what adapter does Tesla give? A 6-15 that limits the current to 12A, rather than the 16A we should be able to get.

Yes, I do know that, but that’s the weird move. 6-15 outlets basically don’t exist out in the wild; 6-20 outlets do. So what adapter does Tesla give? A 6-15 that limits the current to 12A, rather than the 16A we should be able to get.

Given the simplicity of the adapter, Tesla should just make all reasonable choices. Tesla probably could make a small profit, and at least break even, while offering wonderful support for their customers.

Below is my list. This is only 11 adapters, and in my experience would cover 99.99% or more of North American Tesla UMC charging needs. Getting rid of ad hoc/3rd party adapters and not having to remember to manually set the max current are huge advantages that justify having a full set of adapters available.

Current (Breaker/Used)5-series6-series10-series14-series
15/12 Amps5-15#6-15#
20/16 Amps5-20#6-20
30/24 AmpsTT-30*6-3010-3014-30
50/40 Amps6-5010-5014-50#

*The TT-30 is not a 5-series connector, but is often found in RV locations, and can be very useful when nothing else is available.

#Currently available.

Last edited:
Given the simplicity of the adapter, Tesla should just make all reasonable choices. Tesla probably could make a small profit, and at least break even, while offering wonderful support for their customers.

Below is my list. This is only 11 adapters, and in my experience would cover 99.99% or more of North American Tesla UMC charging needs. Getting rid of ad hoc/3rd party adapters and not having to remember to manually set the max current are huge advantages that justify having a full set of adapters available.

Current (Breaker/Used)5-series6-series10-series14-series
15/12 Amps5-15#6-15#
20/16 Amps5-20#6-20
30/24 AmpsTT-30*6-3010-3014-30
50/40 Amps6-5010-5014-50#

*The TT-30 is not a 5-series connector, but is often found in RV locations, and can be very useful when nothing else is available.

#Currently available.
I agree, but there is no way that Tesla will make anymore 6-50 adapters, and will definitely not make any 10-50 adapters(the Roadster didn't even have a 10-50 adapter). The reason is very simple, the Model S UMC cannot take constant 40A charging without problems. Having said that, I have no clue why Tesla doesn't sell the 10-30/14-30 anymore. That is a very strange decision.

there is no way that Tesla will make anymore 6-50 adapters, and will definitely not make any 10-50 adapters(the Roadster didn't even have a 10-50 adapter). The reason is very simple, the Model S UMC cannot take constant 40A charging without problems.
There's no reason they couldn't make those adapters and treat them the same way they've done the new Canadian 14-50, limit them to 32A

I agree, but there is no way that Tesla will make anymore 6-50 adapters, and will definitely not make any 10-50 adapters(the Roadster didn't even have a 10-50 adapter). The reason is very simple, the Model S UMC cannot take constant 40A charging without problems. Having said that, I have no clue why Tesla doesn't sell the 10-30/14-30 anymore. That is a very strange decision.

I don't know why you say that. My UMC works fine for long periods with the 14-50 adapter. Tesla ships the UMC with a 14-50 in the U.S. and recommends installing a 14-50 in the garage as a good charging option for a Tesla, charging at 40 Amps.

Why would a 10-50 adapter present problems that the 14-50 does not?

I don't know why you say that. My UMC works fine for long periods with the 14-50 adapter. Tesla ships the UMC with a 14-50 in the U.S. and recommends installing a 14-50 in the garage as a good charging option for a Tesla, charging at 40 Amps.

Why would a 10-50 adapter present problems that the 14-50 does not?
You are either very lucky for your UMC to have lasted, or rarely use it. After about a dozen in three years, I have very little faith in the UMC.

A lot of 10-50 installations are very old, or have undersized wiring. If one knows what they are doing, charging can go without incident. If not, the danger of a fire is much greater than with a 14-50.

- - - Updated - - -

My UMC has charged fine at 40 amps for 3 years...
Is the UMC your only source of charging?