Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA L 15-20 20a 250v receptacle OK for Tesla Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have access to a NEMA L 15-20 20a 250v receptacle at my daughters winery. It is used for some of the wine making machines. My research says this is 3 phase and I have found a L 15-20p male to 14-50 female adapter on Ebay. My electrical knowledge is limited so I am asking if this would be OK to charge my Model Y? Does the fact that it is 3 phase make any difference? No fast chargers in the area. Thanks so much in advance.

NEMAL15-20.jpg

I have access to a NEMA L 15-20 20a 250v receptacle at my daughters winery. It is used for some of the wine making machines. My research says this is 3 phase and I have found a L 15-20p male to 14-50 female adapter on Ebay. My electrical knowledge is limited so I am asking if this would be OK to charge my Model Y? Does the fact that it is 3 phase make any difference? No fast chargers in the area. Thanks so much in advance.

View attachment 801940

The car can't accept 3 phase. The adapter may pull off one of the phases and that may work.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
You may have to make up your own adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Seymour-L1520-P-Turnlock-3-Phase/dp/B00PSMPXE8/ (You need the NEMA L15-20P (plug))

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-6-20P-Female-Receptacle-Yellow/dp/B08GFR49L3/ (You only need the NEMA 6-20R (receptacle) from this set.)

For 20 amp you need a short length of 2/1 14 gauge minimum wire (12 gauge would be more than adequate.)

You would wire the adapter using any two of the three hot leads on the L15-20 plug, plus the ground.

You would also need the Tesla NEMA 6-20 power plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector ($35).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just made one of these for a L15-30 plug at my winery. I wired X and Z on the plug to the two hot leads on 10-30 receptacle and the ground to the neutral pin. Then plugged my 10-30 Gen 2 plug into this cable and good to go. Car accepts 208V just fine. Most municipal chargers are 208V from 480 3 phase. I started with a short 10-30 to 6-50 adapter from a different chargung situation amd just replaced the 6-50 plug with the L15-30 one.

For your situation, Buy something Like this (or any 6-20 extension cord)

And this

Cut the extension cord/adapter about 12-15” from the receptacle end. Strip the sheathing from about 3” then strip the ends from the 3 wires inside (should be white black and green). Wire the green wire to the G terminal of the L15-20 plug. Then the white and black to X and Z (doesn’t matter which) amd you are good to go. Just remember the L means locking so you put the plug into the outlet and twist to the right to engage and lock the connection.

Or buy the premade one above. Costs about $20 more but you don’t need to do anything else other than buy the 6-20 Tesla UMC adapter.

Oh, and the L15-20P to 14-50R with a 14-50 UMC adapter will tell the car it can pull up to 40 amps which will blow the circuit breaker at the winery. You can tell the car to only pull 16A but it won’t do this automatically. Better to have the UMC equipped with the proper plug so it won’t pull too much amperage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not an electrican but this might work without adapters and added complexity.

As I understand it, 3-phase WYE will give you 230v from any phase to neutral and 3-phase Delta Is 240v between any two phases. So then, perhaps swap out the plug for a 6-20 outlet (commercial grade) and wire it as needed based on what type of 3-phase you have. And of course re-wire and change the breaker at the breaker box, as needed.

Then if you use the Tesla 6-20 adapter your car will charge at 240v 16A, as it should without doing anything else special.

Upvote 0
I just made one of these for a L15-30 plug at my winery. I wired X and Z on the plug to the two hot leads on 10-30 receptacle and the ground to the neutral pin. Then plugged my 10-30 Gen 2 plug into this cable and good to go. Car accepts 208V just fine. Most municipal chargers are 208V from 480 3 phase. I started with a short 10-30 to 6-50 adapter from a different chargung situation amd just replaced the 6-50 plug with the L15-30 one.

And this

Cut the extension cord/adapter about 12-15” from the receptacle end. Strip the sheathing from about 3” then strip the ends from the 3 wires inside (should be white black and green). Wire the green wire to the G terminal of the L15-20 plug. Then the white and black to X and Z (doesn’t matter which) amd you are good to go. Just remember the L means locking so you put the plug into the outlet and twist to the right to engage and lock the connection.

Or buy the premade one above. Costs about $20 more but you don’t need to do anything else other than buy the 6-20 Tesla UMC adapter.

Oh, and the L15-20P to 14-50R with a 14-50 UMC adapter will tell the car it can pull up to 40 amps which will blow the circuit breaker at the winery. You can tell the car to only pull 16A but it won’t do this automatically. Better to have the UMC equipped with the proper plug so it won’t pull too much amperage.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I called ESEadapters and they will custom make a L15-20 adapter that plugs directly into my Tesla cord and includes an internal circuit that monitors the plug temperature and communicates with the car to set the appropriate 16 amp charging current. $85. This is GREAT!! It will be made and shipped in 3 days. By the way, Mrbrock - What is the name of your winery? My daughter is co-owner of Devison Vintners. I will stop by your tasting room next time I am in Walla Walla. :) Eric

Upvote 0

And this

Have you tried this with a L15-20 plug to 14-50 receptacle? I can't get it to work for me. My UMC flashes 2 red blinks with no green . The manual indicates this is loss of ground. I'm wondering if it has to do with the UMC preparing for 32amp draw due to the 14-50 adapter but the 20 amp circuit failing the "test" 🤷‍♂️. Also wondering if it might just be crap wiring at my job, not so sure about that though as we have several CNC machining centers that run fine. Just curious about your experience before I buy 10-30 adapter for my UMC only to find out the wiring at our shop is faulty. Thanks

Upvote 0
Have you tried this with a L15-20 plug to 14-50 receptacle? I can't get it to work for me. My UMC flashes 2 red blinks with no green . The manual indicates this is loss of ground. I'm wondering if it has to do with the UMC preparing for 32amp draw due to the 14-50 adapter but the 20 amp circuit failing the "test" 🤷‍♂️. Also wondering if it might just be crap wiring at my job, not so sure about that though as we have several CNC machining centers that run fine. Just curious about your experience before I buy 10-30 adapter for my UMC only to find out the wiring at our shop is faulty. Thanks
I'm pretty confident you've wired it wrong. You probably connected the ground from the plug to the neutral on the 14-50 and left ground disconnected. You should really just contact evseadapters.com and have them make you a proper adapter that signals the right amperage and keeps all of the temperature sensing intact.

Reactions: KJD and ATPMSD
Upvote 0
The manual indicates this is loss of ground. I'm wondering if it has to do with the UMC preparing for 32amp draw due to the 14-50 adapter but the 20 amp circuit failing the "test"
That wouldn't relate to bad ground.
Also wondering if it might just be crap wiring at my job
Seems like that could be. Things can get loose and semi-disconnected.
not so sure about that though as we have several CNC machining centers that run fine.
Those machines are plugged into the ground, expecting it to be functional, but don't actually use it or test it in operation--the Tesla cable does. The Tesla cable runs a little ground check at startup, where it tries to trickle a small bit of current onto the ground pin to see if it seems to be floating or is really hard tied down to 0V. So it will more likely see that if ground is disconnected.

You should really just contact evseadapters.com and have them make you a proper adapter that signals the right amperage and keeps all of the temperature sensing intact.
They do already make one, but it shows backordered right now. And yes, that is what I would recommend too. They make really good adapters.

Reactions: Gaige
Upvote 0
I'm pretty confident you've wired it wrong. You probably connected the ground from the plug to the neutral on the 14-50 and left ground disconnected. You should really just contact evseadapters.com and have them make you a proper adapter that signals the right amperage and keeps all of the temperature sensing intact..

Unfortunately for me it is wired properly. Green to green at both connections, I understand the principal of how it should work (connect 2 of the 3 hot leads on the L15-20 side to the two hots of the 14-50, ground to ground, & skip the neutral). Really curious if you or anyone else has successfully charged with a homemade L15-20 to 14-50 adapter. I'm not informed enough to know but wouldn't be surprised if the UMC was smart enough to deny charging based on the 32 amp 14-50 adapter being plugged into a 20 amp circuit. I do plan to buy the L15-20 Gen2 adapter from evseadapters.com but it is currently backordered.

Upvote 0
Do you know what type of power you have? Your wiring is correct assuming each pin has the same voltage (3 phase wye, 208V). If you have delta (240V) you have a stinger leg. In Wye, each leg is 120v to ground and 208v between them. This is why you can take any two legs and covert to single phase 208v power. If you have Delta, one of the three legs is 208v to ground while the other two are 120v. This “stinger” leg is usually required to be L3 at the transformer but then is wired as L2/Y at most panels/outlets so you would take the “outside” wires (x and z) to get your 240V . Only way to know is to test your L15 plugs and see which wires are 120V to ground. These are the two wires you want. You may have the stinger in your current wiring and the Tesla adapter doesn’t know what to do with 1 line at 120v and the other at 208v. Optionally, you can try another combination of two wires. You can only do X-Y, X-Z and Y-Z with your wires so only two other variations from what you currently have.

I don’t know how the premade adapters account for a stinger leg unless they just assume it is always the Y pin of an X Y Z G alignment (or they ask the purchaser which pin to leave open). .

Here is the manual page from the HPWC but it is the same in terms of supply for the mobile connector.
1669786863415.png

Upvote 0
I'm not informed enough to know but wouldn't be surprised if the UMC was smart enough to deny charging based on the 32 amp 14-50 adapter being plugged into a 20 amp circuit.
No, it can't. It has no way to see that. It sets the current by what Tesla adapter is plugged into the mobile charging cable. That's all it can see. If you then use a further adapter pigtail to make it fit into another outlet type, it can't tell. So it is going to try to draw 32A, and that will be too much for that 20A circuit, and hopefully your breaker trips. This is why we don't recommend things like this now that we don't have to anymore. Try to keep the amps matched if you do have to convert from one thing to another.

The car won't care if it's different voltage; it will adapt and use whatever is there. So you could use a Tesla 5-20 to adapt to an L15-20, even though they are different voltages. The car will detect and use what is there safely.

Upvote 0
Do you know what type of power you have? Your wiring is correct assuming each pin has the same voltage (3 phase wye, 208V). If you have delta (240V) you have a stinger leg. In Wye, each leg is 120v to ground and 208v between them. This is why you can take any two legs and covert to single phase 208v power. If you have Delta, one of the three legs is 208v to ground while the other two are 120v. This “stinger” leg is usually required to be L3 at the transformer but then is wired as L2/Y at most panels/outlets so you would take the “outside” wires (x and z) to get your 240V . Only way to know is to test your L15 plugs and see which wires are 120V to ground. These are the two wires you want. You may have the stinger in your current wiring and the Tesla adapter doesn’t know what to do with 1 line at 120v and the other at 208v. Optionally, you can try another combination of two wires. You can only do X-Y, X-Z and Y-Z with your wires so only two other variations from what you currently have.

I don’t know how the premade adapters account for a stinger leg unless they just assume it is always the Y pin of an X Y Z G alignment (or they ask the purchaser which pin to leave open). .

Here is the manual page from the HPWC but it is the same in terms of supply for the mobile connector.
View attachment 879702
Thanks for the detailed break down of what to look for. The main panel that feeds this circuit is labeled 120/208. However my "hots" are connected to the x & z locations in the L15-20 plug because I did see a diagram somewhere that showed that as the way to do it. I'm going to bring a multi-meter to work tonight and probe the outlet just to be sure but it's starting to feel like the ground is insufficient. Do you have any pointers on how to verify the grounding issue and would I be able to remedy a grounding issue by installing a grounding rod and running a jumper wire out of the 14-50 receptacle of my homemade adapter to ensure proper ground? I'm not trying to "tamper" with the buildings wiring and I really don't want to get the maintenance guys involved because they're a pain to deal with.

View attachment 879702
Thanks for the detailed break down of what to look for. The main panel that feeds this circuit is labeled 120/208. However my "hots" are connected to the x & z locations in the L15-20 plug because I did see a diagram somewhere that showed that as the way to do it. I'm going to bring a multi-meter to work tonight and probe the outlet just to be sure.. Do you have any pointers on how to verify the grounding issue and would I be able to remedy a grounding issue by installing a grounding rod and running a jumper wire out of the 14-50 receptacle of my homemade adapter to ensure proper ground? I'm not trying to "tamper" with the buildings wiring and I really don't want to get the maintenance guys involved because they're a pain to deal with.

Upvote 0
No, it can't. It has no way to see that. It sets the current by what Tesla adapter is plugged into the mobile charging cable. That's all it can see. If you then use a further adapter pigtail to make it fit into another outlet type, it can't tell. So it is going to try to draw 32A, and that will be too much for that 20A circuit, and hopefully your breaker trips. This is why we don't recommend things like this now that we don't have to anymore. Try to keep the amps matched if you do have to convert from one thing to another.

The car won't care if it's different voltage; it will adapt and use whatever is there. So you could use a Tesla 5-20 to adapt to an L15-20, even though they are different voltages. The car will detect and use what is there safely.
Thanks for the info now I know this eliminates the need to purchase the 6-20 adapter right away as I grasp at straws to try to create a free Level 2 charging solution at work. I'll continue to "test" solutions using the supplied 14-50 adapter that was included with the car until I successfully get the UMC to function at work. I'm really trying to avoid getting the maintenance dept involved, they're haters and have already shot down the idea of installing a charge port for another employee that works day shift. I'm lucky enough to work 3rd shift with a mostly empty building and can park right next to an unused loading dock that has a branch of L15-20 outlets about 10 feet from the door. and some L15-30 about 20 feet from the door. Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
I'll continue to "test" solutions using the supplied 14-50 adapter that was included with the car until I successfully get the UMC to function at work.
OK, if you are testing this, as soon as you plug in, make sure to quickly turn the amps down on the car's charging screen to no more than 16A, so you are not overdrawing from that 20A circuit.

I'm really trying to avoid getting the maintenance dept involved, they're haters and have already shot down the idea of installing a charge port for another employee that works day shift.
I could see if they think it's something specific to electric cars (you mentioned a "charge port"), and they have a hatred for that, they may be resistant. Could you maybe suggest a more generic idea that they might not hate on as much? L15-20 is a really weird outlet type, since it's 3 phase. Do they really have equipment that still needs to use that specific kind of outlet? If it is an orphaned thing that isn't being used anymore and doesn't have to be that exact kind of outlet, do you think they may consider the suggestion to simply change the outlet type to something more normal and simple that you and others could use, like a 6-20? Tesla does sell a 6-20 plug directly. That would not need any new wiring run, but just capping off an unused wire or two and connecting the new outlet.

Upvote 0
OK, if you are testing this, as soon as you plug in, make sure to quickly turn the amps down on the car's charging screen to no more than 16A, so you are not overdrawing from that 20A circuit.

Could you maybe suggest a more generic idea that they might not hate on as much? L15-20 is a really weird outlet type, since it's 3 phase. Do they really have equipment that still needs to use that specific kind of outlet? If it is an orphaned thing that isn't being used anymore and doesn't have to be that exact kind of outlet, do you think they may consider the suggestion to simply change the outlet type to something more normal and simple that you and others could use, like a 6-20? Tesla does sell a 6-20 plug directly. That would not need any new wiring run, but just capping off an unused wire or two and connecting the new outlet

Upvote 0