Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netherlands Netflix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess if the home network is NL Vodafone, it goes back to NL. I've seen similar with a UK SIM overseas, I get the BBC website without adverts like at home still.

Probably not their highest priority, but wish I could setup the car to use my own VPN.

I end up using my mobile hotspot. I've also noticed that If I don't, I see Dutch adverts in YouTube.

I guess if the home network is NL Vodafone, it goes back to NL. I've seen similar with a UK SIM overseas, I get the BBC website without adverts like at home still.

Probably not their highest priority, but wish I could setup the car to use my own VPN.

I end up using my mobile hotspot. I've also noticed that If I don't, I see Dutch adverts in YouTube.
Ability to configure a VPN would be a touch. This is such a bizarre issue.

I suspect if you drove a US car to Canada or Mexico (or another country) it would be seen as a US connection to Netflix. Same principle applies.
Obvious but how would a US owner, say Elon, feel if his sim told him he was based in Mexico and his Youtube had Spanish subtitles and CNN didn't work like it did at home. Yegh, BBC iplayer won't work or 4OD in the UK, because it thinks I am Dutch!

Unlike a few people here, I'm quite happy to have NL YouTube and Netflix. It means I get more content, on NL YouTube I can watch lots of British TV stuff that isn't available on YouTube in the UK, presumably down to copyright. On NL Netflix there are lots of different films available than there are on my TV Netflix, so I'm getting more. It's occasionally a bit frustrating when you get home and want to continue watching a film and it's not available or you recommend something to someone but have to always explain to them why they might not be able to watch it on their Netflix.

Reactions: Louis0w
Obvious but how would a US owner, say Elon, feel if his sim told him he was based in Mexico and his Youtube had Spanish subtitles and CNN didn't work like it did at home. Yegh, BBC iplayer won't work or 4OD in the UK, because it thinks I am Dutch!
I understand and am not suggesting it is ideal. But if someone is seeking to watch video in their car (which I do from time to time myself when faced with a long wait), it is not a big ordeal to link the car to a mobile phone hotspot if a UK IP address is needed for the desired content.

The model 3 uses an esim, and it basically roams, some also suggest there is a vpn connection to tesla to, though i don't/wouldn't think internet traffic gets routed over it. I'm pretty sure last time mine checked it was netherlands to, but I do remember some S's getting a spainish IP, it may just be the luck if the draw.
Since when are model 3’s have an esim I thought it was regular sim and could be swapped at Tesla ?

Do you know if I need any software setting like changing the apn to be able to connect the new sim after the modification?

Not done this modification myself... But I do know that some mobile companies do actually work regardless of what APN settings you put. For example, using a Three SIM if you put the APN settings for EE then it still works - they don't actually care even though they do provide settings. This is more common than it sounds, as it saves phone calls to customer services for help when people have not done it correct.

So if you choose the right SIM, it won't matter.