Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neurio for new breakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the picture in post 10, it looks like there are 3 sets of CTs: 1 pair in your main panel, 1 pair in the panel below the Gateway (the black and white wires going out the conduit at the bottom of the Gateway), and the fixed pair in the Gateway around the upper terminals on the contactor. I assume the panel below the Gateway is for your solar interconnection and the CT there is for the solar production.

Cheers, Wayne

Looks like the Tesla Wall Connector is on a 20 amp breaker? If so, the simplest solution at the time of installation, or now if the conductors are long enough, would be to run the conductors landing on that breaker through the CT that is currently in the main panel. You can have two conductors in each CT, and it will sense the sum of the currents (as long as you have the conductors oriented the same way).

Cheers, Wayne

The Neurio only has room for 2 sets of plugs for ct clips. One is on the gateway and one is on the AC. Somehow the one on the AC is enough to measure the whole house (except the Tesla wall connector).
You have three main breakers - House sub-panel, AC, and HPWC. There are CTs on the AC and the gateway is inline between the house panel's breaker and the house panel, so the sum of those two is all your grid consumption except the HPWC.

I agree with @wwhitney that the picture from Post #10 shows that there is a third set of CT's in the generation panel below the Gateway enclosure.

Looks like the Tesla Wall Connector is on a 20 amp breaker? If so, the simplest solution at the time of installation, or now if the conductors are long enough, would be to run the conductors landing on that breaker through the CT that is currently in the main panel. You can have two conductors in each CT, and it will sense the sum of the currents (as long as you have the conductors oriented the same way).

Cheers, Wayne
That's the before picture.
Hi everyone, so I had the Tesla Wall Connector installed on Jan 4th in that bottom left breaker with a new 60 amp breaker.

Agree on the double wire sense approach.

The Neurio only has room for 2 sets of plugs for ct clips. One is on the gateway and one is on the AC. Somehow the one on the AC is enough to measure the whole house (except the Tesla wall connector).

Right, two sets of plugs, but there are 4 twisted pair running down the middle of the GW panel to the two conduit connections. Is the big folded over ziptied wire bundle at the top an unconnected TC set?
GW (one main breaker) plus AC (other main panel breaker) was your whole house, untill a third main panel breaker was added.

Still din't understand solar monitoring: I may have misunderstood
My solar is measured directly in my backup gateway with their own CT clips. I have not moved those.
Were you refering to the TC in the GW panel on the copper bus bars? (As opposed to sensed by GW via RC on breaker in lower box).
That would only give House-PW-solar, not solar itself.

Ultimately, I think what you want is:
Only two Neurio monitoring points are required - the one on the grid and the on on the PV system - as the Powerwalls themselves can monitor their power inflow/outflow internally.

The GW current is not needed (unless you wanted house loads separate from EV/AC)

Ok you guys are right, I was confused when I originally looked at the panel but looking again I see the 3 sets of CT clips. Which makes a lot more sense now since I was not sure how the house was being measured off of the AC. They must have set it up this way because that 20 amp breaker on the bottom left was not connected to anything at the time (even though I told them I would be installing a Tesla wall connector).

So for now, you can see I put one CT clip on the AC and one on the wall connector. When I was chatting with Neurio support on my other house, they mentioned I could do this and just double the value of that connector in the admin page and it should be close enough to reality. I attempted to run my AC just now but nothing changed in my Tesla app for house power, so I may need to play around with this a little more.

But my main question still is, how do I modify my setup properly to catch this? Sounds like I'll need to hear from either Neurio or Tesla support to know what change to make, but I do need to make a change.

powerwall_solar_box.jpg powerwall_gateway.jpg main_panel.jpg

Right, two sets of plugs, but there are 4 twisted pair running down the middle of the GW panel to the two conduit connections. Is the big folded over ziptied wire bundle at the top an unconnected TC set?
GW (one main breaker) plus AC (other main panel breaker) was your whole house, untill a third main panel breaker was added.

Still din't understand solar monitoring: I may have misunderstood

Were you refering to the TC in the GW panel on the copper bus bars? (As opposed to sensed by GW via RC on breaker in lower box).
That would only give House-PW-solar, not solar itself.

Ultimately, I think what you want is:

The GW current is not needed (unless you wanted house loads separate from EV/AC)

So if I just put the CT clips on the main feed again and disconnect the one in the gateway (so that I just have the main feed and the solar), that should in theory get everything right? My only concern at that point is if they are doing any kind of manual adjustments in the Neurio admin page.

Ok you guys are right, I was confused when I originally looked at the panel but looking again I see the 3 sets of CT clips. Which makes a lot more sense now since I was not sure how the house was being measured off of the AC. They must have set it up this way because that 20 amp breaker on the bottom left was not connected to anything at the time (even though I told them I would be installing a Tesla wall connector).

So for now, you can see I put one CT clip on the AC and one on the wall connector. When I was chatting with Neurio support on my other house, they mentioned I could do this and just double the value of that connector in the admin page and it should be close enough to reality. I attempted to run my AC just now but nothing changed in my Tesla app for house power, so I may need to play around with this a little more.

But my main question still is, how do I modify my setup properly to catch this? Sounds like I'll need to hear from either Neurio or Tesla support to know what change to make, but I do need to make a change.

View attachment 283261 View attachment 283262 View attachment 283263

Hi,
Are two sets of CTs wired together, or are there 6 connection points?

Ultimately, I think you need: one set of CT on main from meter, one set on PV, disconnect third set (GW ones).

Guess: The one you left on the AC may not be used (was using double the value of the one you moved). Or it does a check between the two and rejected it due to imbalance.

So if I just put the CT clips on the main feed again and disconnect the one in the gateway (so that I just have the main feed and the solar), that should in theory get everything right?

Yeah, that's my guess.

@Shygar , I think you would be better off if you can get both the AC and HPWC wires to go through the one pair of CTs instead of splitting the pair, one to each device. My solar is connected to two 20A 240V breakers and they just ran both red wires through one CT and both black wires through the other CT.

@Shygar , I think you would be better off if you can get both the AC and HPWC wires to go through the one pair of CTs instead of splitting the pair, one to each device. My solar is connected to two 20A 240V breakers and they just ran both red wires through one CT and both black wires through the other CT.

Splicing in extensions to the Air Con feeds and looping them thorough CTs relocated to the EV lines would likely work, but it leaves extra HW in the system.

@Shygar 's setup has a panel with non-backed up loads. And the sensing is a bit convoluted currently:

There are CTs on
  • Solar
  • GW
  • Air Con
Two of these are connected together, so it either has (only first option makes sense)
  • GW + Air Con -> provides total system net load, solar measured separately
  • Air Con- Solar -> double counts solar (reduces both air con and GW numbers) No direct solar data.
  • GW - Solar -> would double count solar, since it would reduce GW value and then be subtracted again.
All the setup needs is a CT set on the feeds from the meter, and the existing CT set on the single solar feed in the external PV/PW box. This is functionally identical to the EV/air con CTs in series with the GW CTs, but does not require power rewiring. The extra set can be zip tied out of the way, or removed from the sense circuit.

Recommend any work be done while system is de-energized.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Thanks all for the info and perspectives. I think I will give @mongo 's suggestion a try this weekend and see how it performs. The only thing I'm not sure about that setup is how the powerwall I/O is measured, maybe that's separate from the Neurio. Because if I move it to just the main feed and the solar (remove the one on the GW), then how will it distinguish what is going in and out of the PW. Guessing that is a separate system.

Thanks all for the info and perspectives. I think I will give @mongo 's suggestion a try this weekend and see how it performs. The only thing I'm not sure about that setup is how the powerwall I/O is measured, maybe that's separate from the Neurio. Because if I move it to just the main feed and the solar (remove the one on the GW), then how will it distinguish what is going in and out of the PW. Guessing that is a separate system.

PWs have their own internal current sense and reporting

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
I realized today that there is something I don't understand about the first photo in this thread, showing the main panel. There's a double pole breaker with conductors from each pole, with CTs on each conductor, and then the 2 conductors plus a green EGC go into a conduit that has no other conductors. That implies this circuit (the AC) is a 240V only circuit, just the two conductors.

So why would Tesla put CTs on each leg of the circuit? There is only one current to measure in that circuit. so each CT is going to see the same current.

Cheers, Wayne

I realized today that there is something I don't understand about the first photo in this thread, showing the main panel. There's a double pole breaker with conductors from each pole, with CTs on each conductor, and then the 2 conductors plus a green EGC go into a conduit that has no other conductors. That implies this circuit (the AC) is a 240V only circuit, just the two conductors.

So why would Tesla put CTs on each leg of the circuit? There is only one current to measure in that circuit. so each CT is going to see the same current.

Cheers, Wayne
No neutral? If there's neutral, it could take current.

Cheers, Wayne

Standard procedure, I'd guess. They didn't check if it was a 240 or shared neutral circuit. Also with the 3 measurement points (GW,PV,AC) the sensor doubling gets more complicated.

Update: So I didn't get a chance to test out disconnecting the CT clips in the backup gateway this past weekend. But to my surprise Tesla Energy proactively called me yesterday to schedule someone to come out to fix the issue (although I did email them, I never got a response and the guy who called said they noticed a data reporting issue). So they said they could send someone to come out this morning and they did.

I talked to them about everything and they also tried putting the CT clips on the main lines but saw the same issues we talked about here. Then they called their internal dept and they advised against disconnecting the CT clips in the backup gateway, so what they ended up doing was running extra wire from the AC breaker so they could loop both wires through the CT clips.

I believe this will work and once I get my Model 3 I should be able to confirm. Strange they went with the more complicated way but maybe at this stage it was easier to just do that rather than mess with the design a little more.

A_MainPanelFinal.jpg

Last edited: