Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neurio for new breakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swell Energy came out to do some additional documentation on my system today. I had previously e-mailed Powerwall support about the configuration of my system (as mentioned above) and they passed the ticket to Swell Energy. While the tech was at my house he moved the Grid CTs from the grid input of the Gateway transfer switch to the main bus immediately after my main breaker. I have a 400 amp panel that can take two 200A main breakers. I only have one main breaker installed and it is connected to the breaker bus with thick round copper wire and the CT's were placed around these cables. The tech had an extension wire that already had the same connectors as the Neurio, so he just had to fish it through the conduit between the Gateway and the main panel. We did a test charging my Model 3 with varying current and watched the Powerwall page of the Tesla app update as the power flow changed. So, my Powerwall system now correctly measures the total grid draw and can offset but not back up the loads in my main panel.
Which software version are you on? Not sure if it matters. When we tried this when I was on 1.15.1, it wasn't consistent. Certain things worked fine but others did not work. It could be because I do have a split in my CT
I have a non Tesla Neurio but it only has room for two sets of CTS. Is your model Neurio different or do I understand that two sets of your CTs are spliced together in parallel?
I have both a Tesla version and regular store-bought version (for another house). They are basically identical, aside from not needing the antenna. I don't know if they are in parallel or serial but yes they are spliced together. After you do that though you have to play with the advanced options. I tried monitoring a sub panel on my other house by using a single CT on phase A and the other CT on phase B of my solar breakers then doubling it up (put a value of 2 in the advanced boxes instead of 1). I feel like it almost worked but kept running into weird issues so I abandoned the subpanel measuring.

Reactions: Ampster
Which software version are you on? Not sure if it matters. When we tried this when I was on 1.15.1, it wasn't consistent. Certain things worked fine but others did not work. It could be because I do have a split in my CT
I am still on 1.15.1. The tech went through the software upgrade process in the Wizard, but it did not change the version. My setup is very straight forward with one pair of CTs measuring the main grid and another pair of CTs measuring the solar. The only thing slightly unusual is that I have two circuits of Enphase micro-inveters, so there are two wires running through each solar CT.

I tried monitoring a sub panel on my other house by using a single CT on phase A and the other CT on phase B of my solar breakers then doubling it up (put a value of 2 in the advanced boxes instead of 1). I feel like it almost worked but kept running into weird issues so I abandoned the subpanel measuring.
I would not expect a single CT to measure correctly unless it was only measuring pure 240V circuits. This should work with solar. However, a typical subpanel has 120V loads on both sides of the neutral, so you would be doubling a potentially imbalanced value.

I have another weird case that I thought of when planning a partially off-grid test of my Powerwall system.

I am planning to run my household loads exclusively on solar and Powerwall for a week now that my solar generation is near the annual maximum level. In order to do this, I would turn off the breaker feeding the Gateway while leaving the main breaker on so that I can charge my cars from the grid as needed during the test. The question is, now that my Grid CTs are on the actual main outside the Gateway, will it freak out if it gets grid draw reading while the Gateway is actually in backup mode? Just thinking out loud here...

I have another weird case that I thought of when planning a partially off-grid test of my Powerwall system.

I am planning to run my household loads exclusively on solar and Powerwall for a week now that my solar generation is near the annual maximum level. In order to do this, I would turn off the breaker feeding the Gateway while leaving the main breaker on so that I can charge my cars from the grid as needed during the test. The question is, now that my Grid CTs are on the actual main outside the Gateway, will it freak out if it gets grid draw reading while the Gateway is actually in backup mode? Just thinking out loud here...

I would be curious to see if your results are consistent with these results:

I don't have the Powerwall logging set up on my system like the bloke in the videos above. I will have to see if I can log power quality while I'm out of the house. Maybe I should load the commercial APC PowerChute software on my server so it logs outages detected by the UPS. I haven't used that version in a long time.

Now that I've thought about it some more, I will definitely have to watch the SOC and charge one of my cars on 120V to bring down the SOC before sunny days. Today, for example, I have used 21.4kWh through 10:40pm and generated 23.1kWh.

I am still on 1.15.1. The tech went through the software upgrade process in the Wizard, but it did not change the version. My setup is very straight forward with one pair of CTs measuring the main grid and another pair of CTs measuring the solar. The only thing slightly unusual is that I have two circuits of Enphase micro-inveters, so there are two wires running through each solar CT.

I would not expect a single CT to measure correctly unless it was only measuring pure 240V circuits. This should work with solar. However, a typical subpanel has 120V loads on both sides of the neutral, so you would be doubling a potentially imbalanced value.
In the Neurio advanced panel you can double the value. So if it's balanced across the 240v, you can double it so that it's a close approximation of both. This part worked in my testing, I was having issues with other values not working. Again this is not the Tesla's version of Neurio, but the regular Neurio itself (I have this on a different house).

In the Neurio advanced panel you can double the value. So if it's balanced across the 240v, you can double it so that it's a close approximation of both. This part worked in my testing, I was having issues with other values not working. Again this is not the Tesla's version of Neurio, but the regular Neurio itself (I have this on a different house).

Interesting. Tesla's Install Wizard doesn't offer a doubling, just flipping a value:
upload_2018-6-20_12-13-28.png

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Yea basically it looks something like this (this was a sample test when trying to figure it out, this may or may not work so don't look at the exact positions closely):
View attachment 311638
Your Neurio config looks different from mine:
Screenshot_2018-06-22 Neurio Sensor.png

My solar CTs are #3,#4. I have 1's on 3/4 so they contribute to the Generation channel. I have ones on all of the CTs so they sum on the Consumption channel.

Ah, maybe it's because you're using CT 4 for the submeter, so you can only use CT3 for solar.

Your Neurio config looks different from mine:
View attachment 311808

My solar CTs are #3,#4. I have 1's on 3/4 so they contribute to the Generation channel. I have ones on all of the CTs so they sum on the Consumption channel.

Ah, maybe it's because you're using CT 4 for the submeter, so you can only use CT3 for solar.
Yea exactly, this is not my current setup. I was experimenting with doubling the value of a single CT as recommended by Neurio support. I abandoned this idea (the submeter) since I couldn't get it completely working.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
I would be curious to see if your results are consistent with these results:
Short answer: No. My results are not consistent with those videos. I don't know what is wrong with his system or loads that is causing the Powerwall to shut down periodically. My system has been rock steady. I have two Powerwalls, so they may be more resilient.

I have run my Powerwall system with the grid connection to the Gateway turned off for about 6 hours this evening. It was running in Self Powered mode when I turned off the 125A breaker feeding the Gateway so there was basically zero grid draw at that time and there was no discernable interruption to the household loads. I had one desktop computer running without a UPS and it did not shut down or reboot. However, I am charging my car from the grid right now and the Powerwall app is indicating that it is confused by the fact that there is Grid CT signal but no power at the Gateway input. The Home and Solar quantities in the app periodically spike up and then go back down. Clearly that is impossible because it's nearly midnight. This only happens now because my Grid CTs were recently moved from the grid input of the Gateway transfer switch to my actual main utility feed. If it was an actual grid outage, this confusion would not present itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: cr0ntab
Short answer: No. My results are not consistent with those videos. I don't know what is wrong with his system or loads that is causing the Powerwall to shut down periodically. My system has been rock steady. I have two Powerwalls, so they may be more resilient.

I have run my Powerwall system with the grid connection to the Gateway turned off for about 6 hours this evening. It was running in Self Powered mode when I turned off the 125A breaker feeding the Gateway so there was basically zero grid draw at that time and there was no discernable interruption to the household loads. I had one desktop computer running without a UPS and it did not shut down or reboot. However, I am charging my car from the grid right now and the Powerwall app is indicating that it is confused by the fact that there is Grid CT signal but no power at the Gateway input. The Home and Solar quantities in the app periodically spike up and then go back down. Clearly that is impossible because it's nearly midnight. This only happens now because my Grid CTs were recently moved from the grid input of the Gateway transfer switch to my actual main utility feed. If it was an actual grid outage, this confusion would not present itself.

That's awesome!

This gives me hope, I'm getting two powerwalls installed as well for a whole home backup. I had concerns after watching that video but fingers crossed it works more seamlessly.

Who knows when I'll get the powerwalls but hopefully before the end of the year :(

I was going to write this up in a separate thread, but I'm just going to put it here.

As I explained above, my Grid CTs are in my main panel now and my "off grid" test was only turning off the breaker feeding the Gateway. So, while the Powerwalls were autonomous, isolated from the grid, I charged my car from the grid. The Grid CT signal obviously confuses the Gateway because the metering values jump around in ways that don't make any sense. Only the Powerwall output value is stable because it's reported directly from the Powerwalls.

2018-06-26_10-51-06.jpg

You can see above that my solar only puts out a peak of around 3kW. The Gateway grid supply was turned off until about 9am in the above chart. The spikes of household usage and grid usage and export from midnight to 2am are not real. They are artifacts of my car charging outside the Gateway.

2018-06-24_23-36-54.jpg

In this screen shot, taken at 11:36 pm you can see that the app was reporting home usage and solar generation way higher than possible. The Powerwall is correct and at that time it was directly supplying the house.

Anyway, this is not a real concern and does not really require any remediation from Tesla because this is a contrived situation. In a real grid outage, this would be a non-issue because I would not be able to charge my car and create that confusing input signal.

Later this summer I will be doing another test to demonstrate extended runtime for Powerwall systems using a grid tie inverter powered from the 12V battery of my RAV4 EV. That car can easily remain on in READY for indefinite periods, thereby constantly recharging the 12V from the 40kWh traction battery. This was kind of inspired by another forum user who was rectifying a generator and trying to feed it into a surplus solar grid tied inverter. I am only attempting 600 W, which is enough to carry my house through the night without any net drain from the Powerwalls.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar