Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 100D MX owner of 2 weeks. 3 Service center visits already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What issues are you having? I am bringing mine in for the first time next week.

- rattle noise on suspension passenger noise
- passenger FWD closes to 90% and stops with obstacles detected, very frequently.
- driver door seems to be hitting something when closing
- a crease on my hood up front

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Picked up my new Tesla Model x 100D a lil over 2 weeks ago. Took the car into service center 3 times so far.

Well --- you say 3 visits to Service Center but do not tell us the issues. If this is to be a meaningful conversation useful to other Tesla Model X owners it would be helpful to tell us what the problems are.

Thanks

I picked up my inventory 100D 1 month ago (1400km on it) and so far 2 visits and 15 separate issues!

1. Visor noise (new visor)
2. Brakes grinding 30-0 at all times (they replaced all front pads and rotors and found defective pads on a new car).
3. Trembling acceleration (new half shafts..fixed half the issue)
4. Dash console fan noise (still in progress)
5. Spooling hum noise when hitting Acc pedal. ( in progress)
6. Half uncorked. Getting 5.2-5.3 sec rather than full 4.5-4.7sec 0-60. Looking into DU problem or low torque problem (in progress with engineering and techs)
7. Passenger door trim cracked (fixed)
8. Drivers FWD sensors non calibrated (still not working after a fix)
9. FWD weather stripping loose in many areas (still not fixed)
10. Rear bumper lower black plastic not clipped in well (in progress)
11. Cente mid console all scratched up (in progress)
12. Fwd ‘Set to open always’ will never save (in progress)
13. Heated front seats will only heat bottom amd 3 feels like 1...and rear lower back zero heat/non functional at all. (In progress)
14. Heated steering wheel intermittent function (in progress)
15. Audio eq now maxed at 8 not 12. (In progress with engineering)

All in all I’m shocked at how a car with such low mileage can have so many mechanical and quality control issues. I’ve had previous S’s and apart from a few cosmetic issues, never had this much. I’ve driven my car maybe 1 week out of 3 and starting to regret ever getting the X..or at least regretting the dumb luck on this particular vin.

My Toyota Highlander hybrid 2012 with 140k on it has zero issues from day 1. Zero. Just oil change and brakes. That’s it. 99% on the road not in the shop.
Isnt that what a car should be?!

I picked up my inventory 100D 1 month ago (1400km on it) and so far 2 visits and 15 separate issues!

2. Brakes grinding 30-0 at all times (they replaced all front pads and rotors and found defective pads on a new car).
6. Half uncorked. Getting 5.2-5.3 sec rather than full 4.5-4.7sec 0-60. Looking into DU problem or low torque problem (in progress with engineering and techs)
13. Heated front seats will only heat bottom amd 3 feels like 1...and rear lower back zero heat/non functional at all. (In progress)

All in all I’m shocked at how a car with such low mileage can have so many mechanical and quality control issues. I’ve had previous S’s and apart from a few cosmetic issues, never had this much. I’ve driven my car maybe 1 week out of 3 and starting to regret ever getting the X..or at least regretting the dumb luck on this particular vin.

My Toyota Highlander hybrid 2012 with 140k on it has zero issues from day 1. Zero. Just oil change and brakes. That’s it. 99% on the road not in the shop.
When I shared how my other cars over the years never had issue like these when new, people were nice to tell me that all other manufacturers have problems and proceeded to say their Xxx cars also had problems when new.

My first X had issues and it ended up being re-purchased by Tesla. Now I got my second X 1.5yr later (both new, custom ordered) and it also has issues since delivery. I guess just unlucky me, right? Nothing wrong with Tesla.

I’ve have very similar experience. Picked my MX P90D around 4 weeks ago and had several issues. Many basic QC issues like wiper fluid not working, trunk won’t close, creaking from all doors/windows, dented glass etc. Most worryingly a Battery that refuses to charge beyond 212 mile at 90% and runs between 100 to 170 miles (depending on various factors). Customer service has been hit & miss. Underwhelmed by overall Tesla experience.

I’ve have very similar experience. Picked my MX P90D around 4 weeks ago and had several issues. Many basic QC issues like wiper fluid not working, trunk won’t close, creaking from all doors/windows, dented glass etc. Most worryingly a Battery that refuses to charge beyond 212 mile at 90% and runs between 100 to 170 miles (depending on various factors). Customer service has been hit & miss. Underwhelmed by overall Tesla experience.

Yes it really puts a damper on the whole experience. Giving it until I get it back all repaired to see if i even want to keep it or get an S again. Never had close to as many issues with S. Maybe again it’s just this vin which is why I’m going to wait and see how it is when functioning normally.

Ah, I actually typed up all the issues but TMC has a 10 min limit when posting on the phone so it didn't go through (and didn't feel like typing it again).

Anyway, feels like i've been discovering a new issue literally almost everyday since I picked up the MX. Manufactured towards end of March 2018 so hope that puts it into perspective for people who are optimistic about better Tesla quality now.

Issue List.
1) Front bumper / side fender misalignment. Noticed this on delivery day but given that I waited 3hrs (past appointment time) to see the car I figured I'll get this addressed later. (wife and kid were at their limit with no dinner @ 9PM).

2) AC no longer works. Just blows air.... And on a hot day like today it was unbearable to drive in anymore. Feels like mobile sauna. Which leads to my next issue.

3) Uneven airflow between driver / front passenger seat. The difference is significant. Crank up the AC to Max 11 setting the passenger barely gets any air compared to driver vents. Is this normal ??? Once i close off the driver vents the passenger significantly increases.

4) Mid row seat motor crapped out. You can hear the motor whirling but no movement.

5) Falcon wing door waterfall. Yep, open the FWD on a rainy day and the entire interior gets a bucket load of water inside... or right onto my 1.5yr old in the carseat. WTF seriously?

6) Driver seat crease. Should've noticed this at delivery day but again it was rushed after 3hrs + waiting.

7) Turn signal stalk plastic clicks. Not major issue but pretty annoying. Feels like the stalk is not sturdy and clicks with minimal touch.

8) Carbon fiber trim manufacturing cosmetic defect. Didn't notice until sun hit it at an angle and you can see waviness / bubbling on the trim edge on center console.

9) Passenger window squealing. Squeals when rolling windows up/down

10) SW freeze. Driving on highway a few days ago and entire 17" panel and instrument panel freezes, goes berserk, and resets itself after 5 min.

11) Rear camera green screen. One day the rear camera just stopped working and shows complete green screen. Tried to reset it with the scroll wheel method and wasn't even able to reset at all. Then tried complete power down, wait 2 minutes, power up. Didn't work either

12) Summon on app never connected successfully. Tried to reboot phone as well which I read fixes the issue. Nope didn't work

13) Limited battery cooling error message. Yeah not sure what this one is about but one morning I got a system message regarding limited battery cooling "Bring to Tesla for service immediately".

So like other owners who chimed in on this thread, for people who are on the fence about getting a Tesla, just putting it out there that the quality issues you've been reading are still very real. I for one believed too blindly the pretty picture painted by Tesla sales reps and the people who downplay by saying the forums are only for people who complain and doesn't affect the majority of Tesla's out on the field.

Sorry but I paid $130K for a brand new car that I don't even want to drive right now. And I know when I take it into service to get these issues fixed its not going to be fixed within a short period of time. Of course they say they cant guarantee a Tesla loaner so looks like I'll be paying $130K to drive a rental ICE car for who knows how long.

To echo whats already been said. To say my Tesla experience so far is a disappointment is an understatement.

So like other owners who chimed in on this thread, for people who are on the fence about getting a Tesla, just putting it out there that the quality issues you've been reading are still very real. I for one believed too blindly the pretty picture painted by Tesla sales reps and the people who downplay by saying the forums are only for people who complain and doesn't affect the majority of Tesla's out on the field.
Thanks for the info and data point.

Given what I'd been seeing in terms of problem reports and frequency with the Model X ever since it began shipping, I'm not surprised it's ended up at dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars. Previously, it was in the middle of the bottom 10: 10 Least Reliable Cars.

And yes, cue the folks and fanboys who will try to downplay and explain away the issues/discredit CR...

Manufactured towards end of March 2018

This is your problem right there. end of quarter rush is real. It's the contemporary Tesla equivalent of Friday/Monday cars. This is also why getting inventory cars is better - at least you can deduce by the vin when the car was made and avoid the EoQ lemons.

10) SW freeze. Driving on highway a few days ago and entire 17" panel and instrument panel freezes, goes berserk, and resets itself after 5 min.

11) Rear camera green screen. One day the rear camera just stopped working and shows complete green screen. Tried to reset it with the scroll wheel method and wasn't even able to reset at all. Then tried complete power down, wait 2 minutes, power up. Didn't work either

12) Summon on app never connected successfully. Tried to reboot phone as well which I read fixes the issue. Nope didn't work

Get used to glitchy software. Tesla is a desktop on wheels, with similar development practices too.

A bit of advice: file your lemon paperwork the second you are eligible (mail straight to HQ, don't bother with SC) - this would drastically improve your service experience and opens up your options later should the initial fixes don't bring you the satisfaction and would still hate the car. I was in your shoes a year ago so I know it's really frustrating to pay for a new car only to have it in the shop all the time.

A bit of advice: file your lemon paperwork the second you are eligible (mail straight to HQ, don't bother with SC) - this would drastically improve your service experience and opens up your options later should the initial fixes don't bring you the satisfaction and would still hate the car. I was in your shoes a year ago so I know it's really frustrating to pay for a new car only to have it in the shop all the time.
I’d like to expand this advice further. Bring your car in ASAP so they register your mileage when the first time the issue occurred. If they end up re-purchasing the vehicle they use the lemon law formula (depends on your state) to calculate how much to deduct from the full price you paid, in addition to the 7,500 tax credit. That formula involves the mileage. For example I was deducted about 4K for the the 5k miles I had when I first brought the car in. This was in California. Granted I did bring it in soon after the issue started. However some people might wait it out so my suggestion is to bring it in as soon as possible.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
This is your problem right there. end of quarter rush is real. It's the contemporary Tesla equivalent of Friday/Monday cars. This is also why getting inventory cars is better - at least you can deduce by the vin when the car was made and avoid the EoQ lemons.

Get used to glitchy software. Tesla is a desktop on wheels, with similar development practices too.

Pulled the trigger on Jan 31st. Not like I was aiming to get a end of March car? Anyway, thanks for the tips. Not sure if this will qualify as lemon law territory but who knows. Wouldnt be surprised when more serious issues pop up later

Unfortunately in Ontario, Canada we have no ‘lemon law’ :( stuck with it until I sell it or trade back.

Adding to the mix. My 2016 MX was recently repurchased after 13 service center visits and 43 days total at SC in 10 months of ownership. I also attempted to pick up an inventory 2017 MX a few weeks ago and unfortunately had to refuse delivery because the car was in really bad shape (still being sold as new). No refurbishing wahtsoever, just a quick wash before deilivery (still had dried up coke in the cup holder). Really disappointed with Tesla at this point. Not sure if I’ll throw the dice again...

Pulled the trigger on Jan 31st. Not like I was aiming to get a end of March car? Anyway, thanks for the tips. Not sure if this will qualify as lemon law territory but who knows. Wouldnt be surprised when more serious issues pop up later

you ordered on Jan 31 and got delivery at the end of March?? Wow thats fast. I ordered a few weeks later in Feb and got a June delivery

Thanks for the info and data point.

Given what I'd been seeing in terms of problem reports and frequency with the Model X ever since it began shipping, I'm not surprised it's ended up at dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars. Previously, it was in the middle of the bottom 10: 10 Least Reliable Cars.

And yes, cue the folks and fanboys who will try to downplay and explain away the issues/discredit CR...

as a potential owner, i'm really sorry to hear about these issues for everyone and it worries me alot. it's crazy to hear the wide variance of X owners who seemed to have barely any issues to some who have basic lemons.

i asked 3 of my friends who have X's and grilled them for hourse before deciding to pull the trigger. they seemed to be lucky i guess and love their cars without much issues

as a potential owner, i'm really sorry to hear about these issues for everyone and it worries me alot. it's crazy to hear the wide variance of X owners who seemed to have barely any issues to some who have basic lemons.

i asked 3 of my friends who have X's and grilled them for hourse before deciding to pull the trigger. they seemed to be lucky i guess and love their cars without much issues

Keep in mind Bad News always travels way faster.