Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 18" tires needed after only 30K Miles, normal tread wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I probably should have rotated my tires, but I have 5 cars and have yet to rotate the tires on any of them. I was surprised to be told by the SvC that my tread in the back was below the legal limit.

Has anyone had to replace their Model 3 tires yet? I just rotated back to front and I will see if I can get more life out of the set, hoping the wear continues on the rear. Not sure how I keep track of my tire pressure monitors. How do I rotate which one goes to which?

-Randy
Had to replace my tires after 5000 miles. I do drive aggressively though. They got totally bold like race slicks but the ware was perfectly even. So 30K is outrageously high. You must be babying that car.

I rotate my tires myself too. But I tend to do it as a by product of changing wheels seasonally.
I'm always puzzled when people have to schedule appointments and pay people to rotate tires.
If anything, it's one less opportunity for someone to F up my car or wheels.
It would be more work putting my tires in the car and bringing them than it would be to swap them.
Some folks don't want to buy the jack(s), pucks and torque wrench you need to do the job properly or have space to store said equipment. You are right though, the amount of careless rim, underside lift pint damage I have had from high school kids working at these specialty tire outlets swapping out my tires is shameful. No one cares for your car more than you do.

Sure thing - there are 3 lies to Michelin Promise Plan:
  1. 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee - requires to "bring the tires and original sales receipt back to the place where you bought the tires within 30 days". Tesla drivers didn't buy tires separate from the car, so any claim swill be denied based on the fact that we don't have a "tire sales receipt".
  2. Flat Tire Changing Assistance - read small print #2: "Original Equipment tires are excluded."
  3. Limited Mileage Warranty - read small print "Original Equipment tires starting with 2018 model year vehicles are excluded from mileage warranty coverage."
View attachment 406706
View attachment 406709

Tire Warranty | Michelin Promise Plan

As a Michelin employee and a fan-boy, please do one of the two things:
1). Step lying out of your tail pipe about Michelin's "warranty".
2). Prove your claims by helping the OP go back and get "free new tires" from Michelin since his original OEM tires did not last the promised 55K miles.

Thanks in advance,

a

P.S.: I have no affiliation to the tire industry
Again, spewing misinformation:

1. I never alluded to the fact that I was an employee of Michelin or any other tire company so have no idea where you got that from?

2. If you look at my post, I indicated that they didn’t cover road hazard service that would include “tire changing service.”

3. The only thing that you’re correct about is that according to the information on their web page they (recently) changed their wording to not cover OEM tires starting with the 2018 model year. Previous iterations of their website did not have this disclaimer and that’s what I was referring to. This is also confirmed if you read the Tesla forum
Tire tread Warranty | Tesla
Not sure why Michelin changed their OEM coverage but it’s unfortunate especially for an expensive tire to replace.
You can now continue being an expert on everything and a master of none;)

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Absolutely true.
Assuming equal tread tires all around and mildly competent driver, loosing the rear axle is a lot easier to recover than the front.

If the above doesn't make intuitive sense to the reader - please do yourself a favor and sign-up for a Driver Education (DE) event with a local car club, SCCA, or similar. It will change your life, and possibly save it down the line.

An advanced driving course is a great idea. I am an Observer for the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM). In the UK you can buy a course with us to improve your driving.

As for rear vs front wheels having the best tyres:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

"...due to a front-wheel drive vehicle's front tires' responsibility for transmitting acceleration, steering and most of the braking forces, it's normal for them to wear faster than rear tires. Therefore, if the tires aren't rotated on a regular basis, tires will typically wear out in pairs rather than in sets. And if the tires aren't rotated at all, it's likely that the rear tires will still have about 1/2 of their original tread depth remaining when the front tires are completely worn out.

Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However, in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

When tires are replaced in pairs...the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front."

Which is more dangerous- a front tire blowout or a rear tire blowout?

"The myth is the front tire. If the front blow out, you still have a chance of controlling the vehicle. if the rear tires blow, you have a greater chance of losing control. Also, statistics show that when rear tires blow most persons slam their brakes( because the noise startles them). This unfortunately leads to a spin which noone can turn into or control. I worked in a tire shop, and you would be suprised at how many people will try to argue the other point. Even when you tell them your the expert. All wheel drive vehicles such as Subarus have to all 4 be changed at the same time.
Why do people keep saying the front? Check my source. A tire manufacturer. I'm sure they could even give you the stats. Why do people insist that you lose control of the front when you holding the wheel that controls the front. What are you holding that controls the back. Nothing = NO CONTROL."

Better Tyres In The Front Or Rear? Test Results » Oponeo.co.uk

"The German ADAC organisation also decided to check which wheels we should fit our better tyres on to (assuming we have no other options, such as additional spare tyres)...
ADAC suggests that, if you only have two tyres with a better tread, you should fit them on the rear wheels. This is irrespective of whether your car is driven by the front, rear or all four wheels....

...ÖAMTC suggests buying a new car tyre set if the old ones are heavily worn out. In the case of buying only two tyres, the organisation recommends fitting the better tyres on the rear wheels of the vehicle....

...Of course, it can be argued that the risks aren’t so strong when placing better tyres on the rear. This offers extra grip on wet surfaces, allowing for safety and control during sudden manoeuvres. While this does introduce additional risks, such as aquaplaning, due to the poorer tyres on the front axle, this can be countered through calm driving and taking your foot off of the accelerator....."

While there are certainly arguments either way (see some of the other tests in that last link) it would appear that the Skid Pan instructor I spoke with is generally correct.

For the average driver (who wouldn't have advanced skills) it is better to put the best rubber on the rear where it would have the greatest impact for the most frequent instances of road conditions they'll encounter.

Last edited:
Again, spewing misinformation:
1. I never alluded to the fact that I was an employee of Michelin or any other tire company so have no idea where you got that from?
2. If you look at my post, I indicated that they didn’t cover road hazard service that would include “tire changing service.”
3. The only thing that you’re correct about is that according to the information on their web page they (recently) changed their wording to not cover OEM tires starting with the 2018 model year. Previous iterations of their website did not have this disclaimer and that’s what I was referring to. This is also confirmed if you read the Tesla forum

None of the above is relevant or reflective of the conversation taking place in this thread.
The OP ran out of his Michelin MXM4 tires after 30K miles, despite "promised" 55K tread life.

I made a comment that it's par for the course, and he wont get any sympathy or compensation out of Michelin.
You disagreed, claiming that my description of Michelin warranty was "misinformation". You did that again above. How original.

If 3 out of 3 Michelin "warranty" provisions do not apply to a Tesla owner, what good is that warranty?
It isn't.
It's pure BS.

The only remaining question is why you keep praising it and worshiping Michelin's BS, and back-biting anyone who corrects you.
:confused:

Not sure why Michelin changed their OEM coverage but it’s unfortunate especially for an expensive tire to replace.

Facts matter, motivation is secondary.
And the fact is that Michelin "warranty" is worthless to a Tesla owner.
180913-FactsMatter-Thumb.jpg

If you disagree, find one who was able to cash in on it in any way, shape or form.

You can now continue being an expert on everything and a master of none;)

I care about my, and my fellow Tesla owners', ability to enjoy our cars.
To the extent that such enjoyment is undermined by relying on false-warranty promises, I will dispel them.
As often as necessary.

Feel free to continue being a Michelin suck-up, if that's what floats your boat !

a

• Disagree
Reactions: C141medic and rexy
Assuming your car is RWD. On a RWD EV, the rear tires do 100% of the acceleration and 95% of the deceleration thanks to regen. They wear faster than the fronts, sometimes twice as fast.

I learned the same lesson with the first set of Goodyears on my RWD Model S, but only got 20k out of them. 30k is about normal for me, even with rotation.

Currently at 19.5K miles, 18" Stock tires, my rears are in the red (3/32) front is 4/32. It's about time to change tires. Mainly highway driving 95% (Traffic speed-90 mph). Horrible 45k warranty. I'm planning to purchase the Pilot sport 4s tires in 3 weeks (30k warranty). Doing the same math the pilot sport should last my RWD LR for about 14k miles?!!?! I hope it hits 20k miles (same as MXM4 Primacy)

I will consider the A/S michelin pilot sport (183 per tire/ cheapest option) after i try out the PIlot sport 4s ($222/tire).

Side stick says to inflate to 45. But i keep it at 44 Cold. (Cali weather has been bipolar lately).