Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2020.12 Visualizations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I'm wondering is how he got his car to be so large on the screen.

If you notice he was driving slow... I think the size changes as you reach 15-20 MPH.

ECTO-1

His car is big because the there are no cars detected to the left and right of him, which is what Tesla uses to determine whether it should zoom out. Since he seems to be on a single lane road it will stay big. Once he gets to the 2+ lane road and another car is detected in the additional lane(s) the zoom will activate. When I first suggested this feature to Tesla I meant it to be speed based, but hey Im glad they listened either way!

Nothing different in this video from first FSD visualizations release.

The "STOP" signage is new and was not a part of the original FSD preview. Tesla is technically not allowed to display the signage on the sign due to a patent that Mobileye has on using cameras mounted on cars to "read" posted signs. Thats the reason the signs have always been blank. If this is a glitch of what is to come, it means Tesla found a technical solution to get around that patent.

His car is big because the there are no cars detected to the left and right of him, which is what Tesla uses to determine whether it should zoom out. Since he seems to be on a single lane road it will stay big. Once he gets to the 2+ lane road and another car is detected in the additional lane(s) the zoom will activate. When I first suggested this feature to Tesla I meant it to be speed based, but hey Im glad they listened either way!

The "STOP" signage is new and was not a part of the original FSD preview. Tesla is technically not allowed to display the signage on the sign due to a patent that Mobileye has on using cameras mounted on cars to "read" posted signs. Thats the reason the signs have always been blank. If this is a glitch of what is to come, it means Tesla found a technical solution to get around that patent.

I see what you're saying. Was watching this in bed on my phone without sound and didn't notice the word "STOP" on my phone. Correct, that wasn't there in the original FSD visualizations preview. Not exactly ground-breaking stuff, but still nice. The only thing that has really improved that I've noticed since the original FSD visualizations went live is the in-motion frame-rate of things like garbage cans, cones etc. It's not quite 60fps or anything, but it's much, much better than it was in the initial release.

This is tossed around pretty often, but I'm not totally convinced Tesla alters anything they're doing based on the existence of that patent. It's such an obvious "do it on a computer" type of patent I'm not sure it would hold up, but I'm not a lawyer. I think Tesla's state of technology just is what it is personally.

Reactions: boaterva
This is tossed around pretty often, but I'm not totally convinced Tesla alters anything they're doing based on the existence of that patent. It's such an obvious "do it on a computer" type of patent I'm not sure it would hold up, but I'm not a lawyer. I think Tesla's state of technology just is what it is personally.

Thats right, but that patent is so broad that its seriously infringing on being monopolistic. Also you know Mobileye is keeping a very close look at Tesla because of their past partnership but also because Mobileye is striving to be the first to market with a viable vision-based FSD system. For those reasons Tesla has to be extra careful with how they work around this patent or any other patents that Mobileye owns.

I hear they were nearing the release of some new FSD features, but not sure how the state of the world has impacted that timeline...I can imagine that if they release now it will encourage people to go out and test it at the risk of endangering themselves and others so they may have pushed it back. We will all just have to wait and see...