Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you press the button.

The logic I suspect is fairly simple.
Park and Neutral aren't really needed. Hold is effectively Park anyway and it goes into Park when you open the Door.

Default is Drive unless on startup there is an object within say 1m, and nothing in the rearz in which case reverse is selected.

If in Reverse and you come to a full stop, it assumes Drive next, then if another short stop Reverse, Drive etc (carpark, point turn usage). If you are in Drive for a period of time this become the locked mode.

I can imagine if reverse parking into a carspot you might need to press the R button initially, but after that and F/R shifts should be automatic
I wouldn’t say neutral is not needed because that’s what I put the car into when it was being loaded onto a flat bed tow truck.

So you press the button.

The logic I suspect is fairly simple.
Park and Neutral aren't really needed. Hold is effectively Park anyway and it goes into Park when you open the Door.

Default is Drive unless on startup there is an object within say 1m, and nothing in the rearz in which case reverse is selected.

If in Reverse and you come to a full stop, it assumes Drive next, then if another short stop Reverse, Drive etc (carpark, point turn usage). If you are in Drive for a period of time this become the locked mode.

I can imagine if reverse parking into a carspot you might need to press the R button initially, but after that and F/R shifts should be automatic
uhhhh.... I don't see ANY advantage to my car second guessing what I want to do. NONE.

I prefer the larger vertical screen for navigation. Too bad it can't rotate :p

....and I guess they're the same size. Not as good for nav but much better for watching media.

It's starting to grow on me but lack of a drive selector stalk might be a deal breaker. My wife LOVES the new interior. She immediately said to upgrade. I then reminded her that she told me no more Teslas. She agreed that she'd said that and no Plaid+ in my future.

I then left up the picture of a burgundy FJR-1300 up on the monitor in the living which she knows I plan to get when I know longer of the P85DL:p

In reality, a major deciding factor will be how they ultimately handle or don't handle chargegate.

Reactions: AMPd
That's why you have button for it. Not needed in usual situations.
I very much doubt the car will detect that the truck that's pulled up in front of you is a towtruck and thus it needs to go into neutral.
I dunno, any way I think about it, it feels like a step backwards. There’s no practical reason for it.

the yoke itself is definitely a step backwards and an absolute deal breaker for me.

Reactions: COS Blue
As soon as Tesla knew they were no longer going to be able to fulfil 2021 model custom orders at the old prices, they should have temporarily suspended custom orders. Instead, they continued to "advertise" and accept orders at the lower prices. It's borderline bait and switch. They got people to order new cars at the $70k (LR+) base price and then turned around and said those cars are no longer available but what is available now is $10k ($8k with discount) more.

Completely agree. I just tweeted Elon that it was bait and switch and that he should honor existing order prices. And that his prices will not even be competitive very soon and will have to lower them any way.

Nothing on my order has even changed yet. Still says $69k for the base I was ordering. If you want to charge $10k then at least include FSD, since it looks required for that new steering wheel.

Completely agree. I just tweeted Elon that it was bait and switch and that he should honor existing order prices. And that his prices will not even be competitive very soon and will have to lower them any way.

Nothing on my order has even changed yet. Still says $69k for the base I was ordering. If you want to charge $10k then at least include FSD, since it looks required for that new steering wheel.

Your order is for a "Long Range+" correct? They no longer offer that variant, they now sell the "Long Range". I'm pretty sure the order agreement says that if they stop making the variant that you ordered that their only obligation is to refund your $100 order fee.

Yep:

We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith.

I hope you're right, but that's not how the CT demo behaved. Driver turned it greater than 360°.

Yikes, how awkward is that motion; I don't think it's as safe either, given you cannot let the wheel slide through hands coming out of sharp turns, u-turns, etc. I really hope that was just a demo, and that a tech solution exists.

Your order is for a "Long Range+" correct? They no longer offer that variant, they now sell the "Long Range". I'm pretty sure the order agreement says that if they stop making the variant that you ordered that their only obligation is to refund your $100 order fee.

Yep:
Except they Knew when they took his deposit and order that they were going stop making that "model" (actually they just changed the name). It is not like they woke up on January 27, 2021 and decided about this change over. They should honor the orders they agreed to with people. It is a bait and switch.

Some buyers were also doing a reverse bait and switch. They placed an order, knowing that something new was coming, and hopefully wanted to switch to the new offering, if that got them better value.

Agree that there was some cat and mouse going on. But Tesla had the control. They did not want to reveal the update until their inventory was all sold. They could have made the release when they still had inventory to give people the choice. OR they could have been upfront on the prior orders and disclosed that. AND most importantly they knew for pretty much any orders made in December/January would not be filled with the "old" style. They should have been upfront about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: serendipitous
... "that don't make no sense". !!
The Electrek article has snapshot of Tesla text, saying the car will know you want to go in reverse when you get in and press the brake pedal, if sensors detect wall / objects in front... I can only imagine how that might work in tight a garage where sensors detect obstacles all around. And what if you just want to move forward a bit after going into Park? It does say there will be PRND buttons on the console, but the prospect of reaching down to override what the car thinks and switching seems annoying.

I see a lot of people going on and on and on about the FRND situation.

Have any of you given thought to the following.....

What if....now stay with me here....IT'S AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!? As in, you can disable that automatic FRND feature in the menu system. I mean...we have about a million other software options in the car.

So if you don't like the automated system, disable it! also, quit crying about it.

People on this forum have been well aware, for many months, that the S/X line was shut down and more than likely it was to do he highly anticipated "refresh".

Some even posted that they were going to place a $100 deposit just to play it both ways. Would cancel if nothing showed up, but hopefully they could get the newer configuration at a discount if the new model went up in price.

Many posts indicated that pricing in Europe had just gone up, and many speculated that was due to prep the market for the new pricing as well.

Of course lots of people would like to buy the new model at the old price, but that is not how Tesla words their purchase agreements. Pretty much they can offer what ever pricing they want, and you can decide to take deliver or not.

Believe they are now offering a $2,000 discount for those wanting to take delivery of the newest configurations.

People complain when Tesla raises or lowers their pricing. Everyone wants the best deal ever.

The new pricing structure does protect current owners from devaluation. Many posts previously bemoned Tesla for devaluating the value of their recently purchased vehicles.

Tesla rarely reveals their precise upcoming improvements. Do not want to Osborne their current production.

Except they Knew when they took his deposit and order that they were going stop making that "model" (actually they just changed the name). It is not like they woke up on January 27, 2021 and decided about this change over. They should honor the orders they agreed to with people. It is a bait and switch.

They knew months and months ago. I don't see how that fundamentally changes anything.

They owe you your hundred bucks back. That's it. Supplies limited, no rain checks.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: whitex and Krash
McLaren P1 GTR

Very exclusive, street legal, and only costs a few million. Someone should get some feedback from P1 GTR owners on their steering yoke.

mclaren_p1_gtr_steeringwheel.jpg

As said before, Formula 1, Formula E and other driving series use a similar wheel. Let's give it time and see how we like it when we can actually try it out.

View attachment 631573

People on this forum have been well aware, for many months, that the S/X line was shut down and more than likely it was to do he highly anticipated "refresh".

Some even posted that they were going to place a $100 deposit just to play it both ways. Would cancel if nothing showed up, but hopefully they could get the newer configuration at a discount if the new model went up in price.

Many posts indicated that pricing in Europe had just gone up, and many speculated that was due to prep the market for the new pricing as well.

Of course lots of people would like to buy the new model at the old price, but that is not how Tesla words their purchase agreements. Pretty much they can offer what ever pricing they want, and you can decide to take deliver or not.

Believe they are now offering a $2,000 discount for those wanting to take delivery of the newest configurations.

People complain when Tesla raises or lowers their pricing. Everyone wants the best deal ever.

The new pricing structure does protect current owners from devaluation. Many posts previously bemoned Tesla for devaluating the value of their recently purchased vehicles.

Tesla rarely reveals their precise upcoming improvements. Do not want to Osborne their current production.

I think that Tesla raised their pricing in Europe because due to European law differences they couldn’t accept the deposits on a vehicle they sold at price that they had no intention of delivering. If they knew they were going to be raising the US pricing on the refreshed car they should not have been listing a price and delivery date that they were fully aware that they would not honor. People tend to plan major purchases and a buyers options change as time passes unexpected changes can cause financial hardship. Tesla may have only been accepting trivial $100 deposits but those deposits are non refundable and a sign of good faith on both buyer and seller. In this case one of those parties was not acting in good faith, Tesla was not intending to deliver the product they were offering. At best case Tesla was unethical to offer cars at a price, up until yesterday, that they knew they were not going honor.

Last edited: