Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you know the design better than Elon, who claims to have been using it for a while. How many days you had your refreshed S? :p

Touch screen / touch buttons.

At the moment I'll put more trust in a journo who's specifically written an article about a feature, than a tweet from a guy trying to do a thousand and one things at once.

But I guess we will find out in coming weeks when someone gets a drive of one

To my knowledge, the "black list" is only for the exact same configuration of the exact same car. If you say, refuse delivery because you decided you want a 3 instead, that's all kosher.
Wait, so the blacklist is to strongarm someone into purchasing a defective car because they know it's either the broken one or nothing, since they cannot re-order the same configuration for 12 months (hoping the next one won't be defective)? I guess the "can't see or touch your car until you made full payment" tactics I read about before Christmas were just an extension to the blacklist policy.

Yeah the whole idea that the car will "guess" what gear or direction to shift to seems idiotic. Drivers will have to dig into a menu just to override it each time or when a camera fails. The right repeater camera on my 2021 Model S Performance stopped working after 3 months. The mobile tech said there's a known issue with just the right repeater camera being defective for 2020/21 across all models. The concept will rely too much on other systems working properly.
I bet you there will be times the car will guess the D vs. R wrong, even with all cameras and sensors perfectly functioning and no failing Tesla computer.

Guess thing is the dumbest idea I’ve heard on this forum. If I park in the driveway to wash the car, my garage door is open and now I get in the car to drive, which way does it go?
It "flips a coin". When you post a story how it went the wrong direction, plenty of fanbuys will post a video how it worked for them. By design, the Drive vs. Reverse guess will be correct for at least 50% of situations - any AI that Tesla adds will just make the correct percentage higher, between OTA updates which will screw things up of course, but hey, you're buying a flagship Tesla car, you agreed to drive an Alpha car.

• Love
Reactions: David29 and AMPd
They knew months and months ago. I don't see how that fundamentally changes anything.

They owe you your hundred bucks back. That's it. Supplies limited, no rain checks.
I disagree, they owe you the car you ordered. Alternatively, they should make it very clear on their website that you can walk away at any point until you pick up the keys with only $100 cost, and they can walk away from the deal at any time by simply refunding the $100 dollars, no asking for $2000 or more.

Reactions: ALT-F and Droschke
So you press the button.

The logic I suspect is fairly simple.
Park and Neutral aren't really needed. Hold is effectively Park anyway and it goes into Park when you open the Door.

Default is Drive unless on startup there is an object within say 1m, and nothing in the rearz in which case reverse is selected.

If in Reverse and you come to a full stop, it assumes Drive next, then if another short stop Reverse, Drive etc (carpark, point turn usage). If you are in Drive for a period of time this become the locked mode.

I can imagine if reverse parking into a carspot you might need to press the R button initially, but after that and F/R shifts should be automatic
Lol. So let's say you are in the parking spot, nothing in front of you within 1m (a fence 5 m away) and nothing behind you. So you get in the car and it goes forward? Then I guess you try to stop within 1m of the chain link fence (hopefully the car can see it, ultrasonics certainly will not). Then you pray when you hit the accelerator that it will not driver into the fence. Say the car sees the chainlink fence and starts backing up, then you see some inconsiderate driver who is not letting you back out and forces you to stop. Now the car decides you want to drive back into the fence. Oh fun....

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
Some buyers were also doing a reverse bait and switch. They placed an order, knowing that something new was coming, and hopefully wanted to switch to the new offering, if that got them better value.
Wrong, they "suspected" there is something new coming. Tesla should have stopped the ability to order, or deliver on the orders they took (not the new refreshed car, but the car that was ordered).

Reactions: Droschke
I see a lot of people going on and on and on about the FRND situation.

Have any of you given thought to the following.....

What if....now stay with me here....IT'S AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!? As in, you can disable that automatic FRND feature in the menu system. I mean...we have about a million other software options in the car.

So if you don't like the automated system, disable it! also, quit crying about it.
You mean when you disable it, a stalk grows next to your steering wheel? Or is it still on a touch screen or capacitive button controlled by the MCU which we know reboots randomly and requires replacement in 3-5 years?

Wait, so the blacklist is to strongarm someone into purchasing a defective car because they know it's either the broken one or nothing, since they cannot re-order the same configuration for 12 months (hoping the next one won't be defective)? I guess the "can't see or touch your car until you made full payment" tactics I read about before Christmas were just an extension to the blacklist policy.
The policy existed when Tesla offered return within a short period (seven days IIRC) for any reason. I do not know for certain, but I think it would be unlike that they would have enforced the policy if the car genuinely has major defects. 'broken' and 'defective' beg for both accuracy and precision for such claims.

Or you take a look at the visible display and press a button.

Man technology is hard.
Ah yes, every time you come to a complete stop, don't forget to look at the screen whether the car has correctly guessed whether or not to continue in the same direction or go in the opposite direction. You are right, that is so much simpler than assuming the car will go in the direction you tell it to go until you tell it otherwise. That is of course if the screen is actually showing something, not rebooting itself or simply dead. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, every time you come to a complete stop, don't forget to look at the screen whether the car has correctly guessed whether or not to continue in the same direction or go in the opposite direction. You are right, that is so much simpler than assuming the car will go in the direction you tell it to go until you tell it otherwise. :rolleyes:

Or just turn the feature off. Will most likely be an option. And if not right away, will he added.

In the interest of massive thread creep, this will be brief. The MAX Return to Service training that the entire world’s airline MAX crews have to undergo now before revenue flying returns is the same for all carriers, regardless of nationality. The RTS is to reinforce basic “stick and rudder” skills. Something lost on the two ill fated crews. Most of the 90 minutes of RTS simulator exposure is spent manually flying. ...and performing the runaway stabilizer procedure. It was described, at least by my airline, that the reason for the crashes was what I listed above, and the airlines are focusing on manual flying and a reduced reliance on automation.

Now, let’s talk about that Model S! I’m ordering my personalized plate today!

4653C82A-3509-4240-A720-752BA1370679.jpeg

Tesla's New 'Ludicrous Mode' Makes the Model S a Supercar[/URL]
made throttle control a fully automated control system since humans could not begin to perceive the approaching limits. Of course that was the case all the time. It's only that users did not know it.

Frankly we all need to understand that when hubris and associated superficiality enters the equation disaster is not far behind. The world has copious examples.

When very assiduous efforts are made to avoid hubris when have Falcon 9, Tesla pioneering li-ion batteries and countless other things.

When hubris enters we have SMS, B737MAX, VW ID.3 and many others. The common equation for many of them has been huge success followed by complacency followed by hubris.

When hubris is avoided we can have outsized success as Tesla, SpaceX, Amazon and many others show. Any of those can begin to be complacent which will inevitably produce hubris and disaster. After all only unprecedented automation could produce BioNTech. Similarly hubris can snatch disaster from outsized success. One definitive not-so-automated example is Linus Pauling.

In sum, hubris is always with us. The challenge is to have progress without hubris. It ain't easy. Thus Elon needs Gwynne Shotwell and Jerome Guillen, among others.

That little change of round steering wheel to something slightly different has probably helped us to really understand how different the world has become.