Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not asking to future proof my order or limit the depreciation. Simply abide by the agreement. They knew what they were doing and it was not right. I would have accepted the previous gen Long Range Plus at $70k even after the refresh was announced.

People trying to defend an $800B company from very apparent Bait and Switch B.S. practices, claiming financial ruin! LOL.

If sales dropped 20% in the 4th quarter causing a loss, the 800B company would be less than half that today. The media would have spun that to the fullest. Their typical strongest quarter would have been a loss and the media would spin it as all your pensions lost money in the S&P, etc. It happened before in 2019 when Model S sales dropped heavily after Tesla dropped the low end model, word of a refresh spread on social media and YouTube. Stock dropped in half from Jan 2019 to June. Of course the media didn’t portray it as self inflicted due to model changes. It was spun as NO DEMAND! OMG!

BTW, they did abide by the agreement YOU SIGNED. It’s now your turn to.

Last edited:
If sales dropped 20% in the 4th quarter causing a loss, the 800B company would be less than half that today. The media would have spun that to the fullest. Their typical strongest quarter would have been a loss and the media would spin it as all your pensions lost money in the S&P, etc. It happened before in 2019 when Model S sales dropped heavily after Tesla dropped the low end model, word of a refresh spread on social media and YouTube. Stock dropped in half from Jan 2019 to June. Of course the media didn’t portray it as self inflicted due to model changes. It was spun as NO DEMAND! OMG!

BTW, they did abide by the agreement YOU SIGNED. It’s now your turn to.
And that’s the problem, stock price over customer service. But we’ve all known that for a while now.

I find an opportunity (excuse?) to floor my MSP on pretty much every drive. There's always an on-ramp somewhere that benefits from having 800HP :D
Well we have a 2020 Model X LR that my wife says she has never floored it. I have and at 4.4 0-60 it is pretty quick. However, 3.1 would be crazy quick. So at least for me it would not be worth an extra $40k to go "ludicrous" quick.

First, I agree that this was a bait and switch in the clearest definition of the terms. It is perfectly clear, as they took money in exchange for a vehicle they knew, at the time of taking the money, that it would not be available. Just because they offer you a refund does not make it not a bait and switch. It was a lure to pull you in, and it was blatantly obvious.

Second, and more importantly, imagine for a just moment that Tesla approached this differently (ahem, the correct way) and said "Hey, we have your $100, and you can still get you the car you ordered. Or, here is a deal: we give you a $2,000 discount on our refreshed Model S. Yes, it will cost you more, but it is an amazing upgrade." I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that many of the people here who are b**tching about it would take the deal.

First, I agree that this was a bait and switch in the clearest definition of the terms. It is perfectly clear, as they took money in exchange for a vehicle they knew, at the time of taking the money, that it would not be available. Just because they offer you a refund does not make it not a bait and switch. It was a lure to pull you in, and it was blatantly obvious.

Second, and more importantly, imagine for a just moment that Tesla approached this differently (ahem, the correct way) and said "Hey, we have your $100, and you can still get you the car you ordered. Or, here is a deal: we give you a $2,000 discount on our refreshed Model S. Yes, it will cost you more, but it is an amazing upgrade." I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that many of the people here who are b**tching about it would take the deal.

You seem to think there was some point in time where Tesla just knew "This poor schmuck is going to be the first one who can't possibly get the car he ordered, and neither will anyone else after him" and owed it to the guy to disclose their plans. When in reality there's no way to know which people are going to be able or unable to get their orders.

They delivered 20k S/X cars in the whole quarter, only 200 a day. Any one of those people could have refused delivery (people post on here all the time about refusing delivery because a door striker was off by 2mm) and had their VIN assigned to the other people who ordered. I bet somebody ordered the day AFTER the shutdown and got their car because they picked a combo that came up.

Like 10 people got unlucky ordering at the very last minute and decided to bitch about it instead of being relieved that they didn't get the "old" model. There's no pleasing people - if they gave them the car, there would instead be 20 people bitching about being duped into buying an old model when a new one was coming.

Chalk it up as an L, you showed up at Best Buy after they ran out of PS5s. Deal with it. Or if you're really set on the previous model, I'll give you a great deal on my 2019 Model S Performance...

Friendly note - if you plan to respond to multiple posts in succession, it is much easier for readers if you use the multi-quote feature. Note the +QUOTE at the bottom of the screen (image attached). Hit that for each post of which you plan to respond, and then you can insert them all into a cohesive reply, responding inline. It makes for a smoother dialogue flow.

View attachment 632976
Friendly note - you know there is a mod that automatically merges consecutive answers of the same author? Best feature is "no feature".

And the more important point is it wouldn't matter if 99% or 1% of them took the deal. It would be the right thing to do. I am unaware of ANY other manufacture who does this. I am in my Corvette "phase" (going on 20 years) and Everyone Always knows when a new generation is coning out. Everyone knows what the cutoff date is to order the Current generation. Most people have a good guess as to most of the new features. The only thing really unknown is "pricing". That is left to wild guessing. I think part of the problem besides a cultish reaction - is before Tesla I suspect many have not custom ordered a car before. Perhaps they think this is the norm. I have custom ordered 8 vehicles - Ford and Chevy. The way Tesla does this is NOT the norm. Yes, sales start slowing down when the word is out about the new generation but it is a small issue. Tesla would have been just fine. Especially considering there significant price increase.

Reactions: ALT-F and 4SUPER9
Damb. AND 400+ mile range. o_O

It’s like, what more do you want? New LR kinda checks all the boxes.
I want more range. 450+. You will only actually get @360 miles and you have to recharge before you get below 50, so that gives you 310 miles. And it will really slow down the charging after you are @70% so that's 50 to @315 or + 265 miles. So you can go 575 miles on a 1 charge trip - of course cold weather - mountainous driving could bring it down to @500 miles. I could live with a 0-60 of "only" 3.1 seconds.

The issue is that Tesla knew months BEFORE the orders were placed that they did not have the inventory and had no intention to deliver the Model S Long Range Plus. I've confirmed this with a Tesla insider corporate employee and two other people that work for Tesla. Prior to this, I had a Tesla store search nationally for new Long Range Plus, none were available or expected to come. Instead of stopping the ability to place orders for the Long Range Plus at $70k, Tesla continued to take orders and deposits. All they had to do was stop the ability to place orders on out of inventory/production vehicles. That was it.

I understand this is a site for Tesla enthusiasts but that shouldn't stop people from calling out b.s. when it happens. Supporting this type practice is blind loyalty and harms the customer.

Fully agree with you. Dumb that the fanboys won't call BS when they see it, but i guess that's what makes them fanboys.

The unfortunate thing is that we are too small in numbers to make any sort of impact that would reverse Tesla's decision. I love what Tesla is doing in the EV space, but I really can't wait until they have more competition.

Reactions: SmartElectric