Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 Refresh Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 or 2024 changes I hope Tesla brings the model S LR down in price. I fully understand that their in a league of their own but after having a long term rental model 3 and y, it's a very cheap car (feeling wise not price) with great tech. The model S LR is a very expensive car that should be the equivalent price of a Lexus GS or genesis G80 now delete all the mechanics of the G80 add on 15K for tech and you have a 75k car. I hope this is what change or bring the 3 or Y up market with materials and fit & finish.

But if the market supports it Elon make your money until you can't.

2023 or 2024 changes I hope Tesla brings the model S LR down in price. I fully understand that their in a league of their own but after having a long term rental model 3 and y, it's a very cheap car (feeling wise not price) with great tech. The model S LR is a very expensive car that should be the equivalent price of a Lexus GS or genesis G80 now delete all the mechanics of the G80 add on 15K for tech and you have a 75k car. I hope this is what change or bring the 3 or Y up market with materials and fit & finish.

How much do you add on for the performance? It's way more of a performance car than either of the ones you mentioned.

Ive seriously been looking at a 2023 Jaguar I-Pace. Range is low though.

Is there a 670hp lexus or genesis?

My doctor has one albeit the first release. His wife has an X. He says his I-Pace is constantly in for repair and the Tesla is leagues ahead

2023 I-Pace is "supposedly" leagues ahead of even the 2022 model year. Now gets OTA updates in fact! YAY!!!! HA!
As for your being in for repairs, well, its a Jag in the first model year, you stated. Right? First model years are usually trash.

I mean... look around the net or this forum. Tesla's also have their fair share of shotty workmanship and such. Ive had 4, and wife has 1. All have had service on them. Nothing insane, but from seats being discolored, to palm prints under my clear coat on a bumper to trim pieces literally falling a part, yea. Ive seen some stupid stuff on Teslas. HA!

That being said, hope to get my MYP VIN soon! BAHA!

Reactions: jsight
How much do you add on for the performance? It's way more of a performance car than either of the ones you mentioned.
You are correct that's why I said delete the power train cost of both vehicles and add 15k to the total cost to equal 75k. The cost of power train for the Lexus and the genesis is 19 to 20k. So if those vehicles cost 60k with their powertrain. Minus the cost of those powertrains you have 40k, that gives you 35k for the model S LR difference.

You are correct that's why I said delete the power train cost of both vehicles and add 15k to the total cost to equal 75k. The cost of power train for the Lexus and the genesis is 19 to 20k. So if those vehicles cost 60k with their powertrain. Minus the cost of those powertrains you have 40k, that gives you 35k for the model S LR difference.
This is a nonsensical way of looking at it, but whatever.

This is a nonsensical way of looking at it, but whatever.
OK I'll further explain. Maybe I was unclear as to how I see it.
In my example I used a Lexus GS and Genesis G80 because interior and the non technical side of the cars are probably as close as you can get to a model S minus the tech. If I used an a Mercedes I find that too far of
a reach and the materials cost is much bigger. (my personal car is an S class w222 series for frame of reference that is being sold)

So using a 60k thousand dollar model as a starting point the Genesis G80 has twin turbo 3.5 liter engine, the transmission and all the powertrain components comes out to about 20k give or take a few hundred.

The Lexus GS was used because it's one of the cars alot of people went to, if they went electric after owning one. The common complaint with Tesla former GS owners is fit and finish as everyone knows. Secondly it's very similar in class and size.

Now if you remove all the powertrains from all three cars the Genesis, the GS and the Model S. The difference is night and day telsa is Supremely out classed but at the same time illogical. A model S with no powertrain is a metal shell or no different than a Toyota avalon.

So if you look at all three cars with no powertrain in them what so ever the Genesis is worth 40k brand new the GS moderately optioned (even though discontinued) would be at 40k also. The model S with no powertrain is probably valued between 30 and 40k.
You add 20k for both the GS and Genesis G80 to get to their real word prices.(brand new only)

You add 35 to 40 k for the model S powertrain. There's no way the model S has the luxury of the G80 or the GS although it has things that neither of those cars can ever have.

I like Tesla alot even renting a y long term and a 3P and brief episode with model S then I get back into my benz and I'm like how is this model S 6 figures. Now that don't change my want of a model S but at over 6 figures I'll wait unto a nice 22 S LR used falls in price next year during the recession to 75k. The interior and fit and finish of the model S is just 1 stage better than a y or 3. Why is the price 45 percent higher than a model 3 or Y when it should be no more than 20 percent.
If the model 3 performance is 62k a model S LR should start at 75k. Not 6 figures but again if the market accepts it, Elon make your money but ill just be the dude in the corner waiting for a good one to fall down in price to 75k which will probably happen sometime shortly after 1st quarter 2023.

OK I'll further explain. Maybe I was unclear as to how I see it.
In my example I used a Lexus GS and Genesis G80 because interior and the non technical side of the cars are probably as close as you can get to a model S minus the tech. If I used an a Mercedes I find that too far of
a reach and the materials cost is much bigger. (my personal car is an S class w222 series for frame of reference that is being sold)

So using a 60k thousand dollar model as a starting point the Genesis G80 has twin turbo 3.5 liter engine, the transmission and all the powertrain components comes out to about 20k give or take a few hundred.

The Lexus GS was used because it's one of the cars alot of people went to, if they went electric after owning one. The common complaint with Tesla former GS owners is fit and finish as everyone knows. Secondly it's very similar in class and size.

Now if you remove all the powertrains from all three cars the Genesis, the GS and the Model S. The difference is night and day telsa is Supremely out classed but at the same time illogical. A model S with no powertrain is a metal shell or no different than a Toyota avalon.

So if you look at all three cars with no powertrain in them what so ever the Genesis is worth 40k brand new the GS moderately optioned (even though discontinued) would be at 40k also. The model S with no powertrain is probably valued between 30 and 40k.
You add 20k for both the GS and Genesis G80 to get to their real word prices.(brand new only)

You add 35 to 40 k for the model S powertrain. There's no way the model S has the luxury of the G80 or the GS although it has things that neither of those cars can ever have.

I like Tesla alot even renting a y long term and a 3P and brief episode with model S then I get back into my benz and I'm like how is this model S 6 figures. Now that don't change my want of a model S but at over 6 figures I'll wait unto a nice 22 S LR used falls in price next year during the recession to 75k. The interior and fit and finish of the model S is just 1 stage better than a y or 3. Why is the price 45 percent higher than a model 3 or Y when it should be no more than 20 percent.
If the model 3 performance is 62k a model S LR should start at 75k. Not 6 figures but again if the market accepts it, Elon make your money but ill just be the dude in the corner waiting for a good one to fall down in price to 75k which will probably happen sometime shortly after 1st quarter 2023.

If you can’t afford it just say that.

buy it used for 75k and don’t rationalize your train of thought using a long and winded response that makes no sense at all. It’s the most blasphemous thing I’ve seen today.

If you can’t afford it just say that.

buy it used for 75k and don’t rationalize your train of thought using a long and winded response that makes no sense at all. It’s the most blasphemous thing I’ve seen today.
My S class cost more than a model S but to each their own. I will never pay that much for a car again as I get older, I get smarter, I think Ive been extremely blessed by God for what I have and I won't go into I got this or that, I was just stating that my love for tesla is real, I would not have rented long term rentals to see if I wanted a 3 or Y when I have a S class and other cars in my arsenal. Just an FYI 90 percent of S class owners have income where they can afford a model S.
Affordability and acceptance of a great but outrageously overpriced item is not the same. But to each their own

Reactions: jsight
My S class cost more than a model S but to each their own. I will never pay that much for a car again as I get older, I get smarter, I think Ive been extremely blessed by God for what I have and I won't go into I got this or that, I was just stating that my love for tesla is real, I would not have rented long term rentals to see if I wanted a 3 or Y when I have a S class and other cars in my arsenal. Just an FYI 90 percent of S class owners have income where they can afford a model S.
Affordability and acceptance of a great but outrageously overpriced item is not the same. But to each their own
Fair enough... I'm not sure that I agree with how you got there, but I do somewhat agree with the conclusion. It wasn't that long ago that the Model S LR was ~70k. IMO, the improvement isn't enough to make it worth 50% more now.

I'm not sure that the price will drop again, though. Tesla seems to be perfectly willing to just make it into a lower volume car if it doesn't sell at very high price points. 🤷‍♂️

I know my friend got his W222 for 48k so I’m not sure he is in the tax bracket to afford a Palladium Model S. Hell, I have a friend that got a Panamera for 30k.

The S Class is a nicer car. So is the Panamera (just a bit less comfortable than the other two). Depreciation kills those cars, as they’re objectively overpriced out of the factory also.

But the reason why Tesla won’t lower the price (at least by as much as you’re saying) is the same reason why you are happy to jump ship from your S class to the Model S.

Why don’t you consider an EQS since that’s probably got all the bells and whistles you want?

I know my friend got his W222 for 48k so I’m not sure he is in the tax bracket to afford a Palladium Model S. Hell, I have a friend that got a Panamera for 30k.

The S Class is a nicer car. So is the Panamera (just a bit less comfortable than the other two). Depreciation kills those cars, as they’re objectively overpriced out of the factory also.

But the reason why Tesla won’t lower the price (at least by as much as you’re saying) is the same reason why you are happy to jump ship from your S class to the Model S.

Why don’t you consider an EQS since that’s probably got all the bells and whistles you want?
If you buy a used W222 today yes you can get one for 40 to 70k today if you buy one new it's more than double that, as I stated originally I will never buy a new S class again. I looked into an EQS it's too nice too fancy, weird looking and not ideal for the city I live in, you would become a target instantly.
(Wealth whispers) the louder someone is, usually the lessor their finances, unless they are Uber rich and then they can yell as loud as they wish. In my situation I'm not Uber rich but I can afford a plaid S but I would never spend that kind of money on a car again, I rather invest.

Lastly I usually purchase cars in the 4th quarter of the model year or 1st quarter of the next model year, now this does not work with Tesla as the model years play very little with the cost factor. With Mercedes you may get 5 percent off msrp new if you wait for those times if their is still inventory. 5 percent off 140k is a good savings.

Last edited:
Fair enough... I'm not sure that I agree with how you got there, but I do somewhat agree with the conclusion. It wasn't that long ago that the Model S LR was ~70k. IMO, the improvement isn't enough to make it worth 50% more now.

I'm not sure that the price will drop again, though. Tesla seems to be perfectly willing to just make it into a lower volume car if it doesn't sell at very high price points. 🤷‍♂️

The update is most certainly worth 30k over the previous 69,420 price.

I sold my 2019 Raven powertrain X for a 2022 MS and couldn't be happier

The update is most certainly worth 30k over the previous 69,420 price.

I sold my 2019 Raven powertrain X for a 2022 MS and couldn't be happier
Just because you love something does not justify the cost. Emotional value is subjective. Now I agree the MSLR is faster, more efficient, and the tech is second to none compared to my S which it will be replacing but it feels soooo cheap compared to a 2018 s class. It does not feel like a 6 figure car, the parts the fit and feel, the leather, the materials all feel like a 60k car at best but that's my opinion, which is also subjective.

Now I know you can't weigh the technical level of the model S against anything other than a model x and this is my reason for wanting one but only at the right price, with this collapse coming the market will be ripe for investing, spending 6 figures in a down market on a car is not smart money, at least not for me anyway.

One thing I forgot is the sound, the audio in the MSLR is better than the 3d burmester system. The refresh model S audio is unbelievable. I was shocked how much better it was than the 3 and y. Then I was shocked it's better than my Benz

Last edited:
Just because you love something does not justify the cost. Emotional value is subjective. Now I agree the MSLR is faster, more efficient, and the tech is second to none compared to my S which it will be replacing but it feels soooo cheap compared to a 2018 s class. It does not feel like a 6 figure car, the parts the fit and feel, the leather, the materials all feel like a 60k car at best but that's my opinion, which is also subjective.

Now I know you can't weigh the technical level of the model S against anything other than a model x and this is my reason for wanting one but only at the right price, with this collapse coming the market will be ripe for investing, spending 6 figures in a down market on a car is not smart money, at least not for me anyway.

One thing I forgot is the sound, the audio in the MSLR is better than the 3d burmester system. The refresh model S audio is unbelievable. I was shocked how much better it was than the 3 and y. Then I was shocked it's better than my Benz

I take an Uber black quite often and outside the Massaging front seats and ambient lighting I disagree that the S class is that much nicer. The wood actually feels like plastic.

The argument can be made that a Designo equipped Ivory interior car with quilted stitching is 1000% nicer.

But not your average black interior Uber driver's car.

The 2022 S-Class has it beat for sure.

Last edited:
I take an Uber black quite often and outside the Massaging front seats and ambient lighting I disagree that the S class is that much nicer. The wood actually feels like plastic.

The argument can be made that a Designo equipped Ivory interior car with quilted stitching is 1000% nicer.

But not your average black interior Uber driver's car.

The 2022 S-Class has it beat for sure.
I agree that's why the diamond tricoat ivory designo and 3d burmester was my choice, and the Benz is best car I ever owned but it's an ice car and it's time to move on.

Reactions: jsight and DrGriz