Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 Refresh Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y was released 2 years ago, updates since then:
  • Bigger battery pack (82kWh instead of ~75kWh)
  • Exterior speaker (Boombox)
  • HEPA filter and Bioweapon mode
  • Full rear mega casting (instead of two halves)
  • Heat pump sound damping shroud
  • IR cabin camera
  • Seven-seat option
  • Fixed turn signal cameras (no glare)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Windshield wiper defrost
  • Double-paned windows (front)
  • Double-paned windows (rear)
  • New center console design
  • New door buttons and matte finish panels
  • Metal steering wheel buttons
  • Dimming side mirrors
  • AMD processor
  • Lithium-ion 12V battery
  • Sealed front ball joints
  • Matrix LED headlights (Performance versions so far)
  • USB in the glove box for Sentry Mode + free thumb drive
  • Tie-down hooks in the trunk (China-only right now?)
  • 4680 cells and structural battery pack (coming first at Giga Austin)
  • Cargo cover (China-only for now)
  • Turn signals are now amber color and larger.
Few if any of these have occurred as part of a model year upgrade. Model years are basically meaningless for Tesla, at least for the Model Y.
I believe zero of these changes occurred at the 2021 to 2022 transition. It is also likely that there will be zero changes at the 2022 to 2023 transition near the end of this month. Seems pretty clear that model changes are not tied to the year of the vehicle.

It’s pretty clear Tesla changes things whenever is right for them, sometimes it’s around the model year change sometimes it’s not. The VIN change in model year is usually October to November.
The longer you wait to newer features the car will have but may also mean removal of features.

Buy the car when you need the car.

I don't understand what the discussion is either, Alan. The link you provided for the 2022 model year is dated 1/27/22, and the major changes actually truly did occur around that time, yet the 2022 VINs started coming out in mid-October 2021, over three months earlier. Those cars did not have the modifications.
As you describe, this would literally be illegal. I don’t follow Model Y closely so not sure what actually happened. You’d have to point to a specific example of an actual 2022 Model Y LR AWD not having the ~81kWh capacity (instead having ~78kWh).

If you get a 2022 Tesla Model Y LR AWD and an 81kWh capacity is claimed in EPA docs, then you must get that nominal capacity for a 2022 model. If you don’t get at least that nominal value, that is illegal.

The date on these documents is often later than the first car delivery, FYI. Doesn’t matter. What matters is the vehicle year on the Monroney and the submissions made to the EPA.

The hard fact is that the indicated changes in capacity are tied to the model year transitions. As I just said - this does not mean that you might not get higher capacity before the transition (it depends and you can see examples of both cases; just see above link for 2020/2021 MYP - but once you get that new model year, it is guaranteed). Tesla can provide more nominal capacity, but not less, than the EPA doc.

Everything everyone is saying about changes happening throughout the year is totally correct too. That’s what I keep saying!

But waiting for model year transitions when close to that date can be quite prudent for the reasons above. I don’t expect that this year it will mean anything (but have not been following rumors at all). But some years it may be quite significant. See very impactful, extremely well documented, unquestioned examples above.

It also allows you to claim a one year “newer” vehicle for resale purposes! Not a huge impact most likely but will certainly have an impact! I would not wait for that reason though.

That‘s just statistics, not proof of a model year philosophy

Except for the things that are explicitly tied to model year, like rated range, called out on the Monroney, guarantees from Tesla, and enforced by law.

8B12AC21-B222-45BB-B391-72074D1EFA86.jpeg

Last edited:
As you describe, this would literally be illegal. I don’t follow Model Y closely so not sure what actually happened. You’d have to point to a specific example of an actual 2022 Model Y LR AWD not having the ~81kWh capacity (instead having ~78kWh).

If you get a 2022 Tesla Model Y LR AWD and an 81kWh capacity is claimed in EPA docs, then you must get that nominal capacity for a 2022 model. If you don’t get at least that nominal value, that is illegal.

The date on these documents is often later than the first car delivery, FYI. Doesn’t matter. What matters is the vehicle year on the Monroney and the submissions made to the EPA.

The hard fact is that the indicated changes in capacity are tied to the model year transitions. As I just said - this does not mean that you might not get higher capacity before the transition (it depends and you can see examples of both cases; just see above link for 2020/2021 MYP - but once you get that new model year, it is guaranteed). Tesla can provide more nominal capacity, but not less, than the EPA doc.

Everything everyone is saying about changes happening throughout the year is totally correct too. That’s what I keep saying!

But waiting for model year transitions when close to that date can be quite prudent for the reasons above. I don’t expect that this year it will mean anything (but have not been following rumors at all). But some years it may be quite significant. See very impactful, extremely well documented, unquestioned examples above.

It also allows you to claim a one year “newer” vehicle for resale purposes! Not a huge impact most likely but will certainly have an impact! I would not wait for that reason though.

Except for the things that are explicitly tied to model year, like rated range, called out on the Monroney, guarantees from Tesla, and enforced by law.

View attachment 861988
It appears you are focusing on battery pack size. The battery packs are 81 (or 82, depending on what you read) kWh with 75 kWh useable capacity (I think that's where the confusion comes from). They haven't changed since inception, AFAIK, although there have been some minor tweaks (maybe the MCU processor change that occurred in December 2021-Jan2022) that resulted in some range adjustments.

Seriously, feel free to demonstrate otherwise. I am learning.

It appears you are focusing on battery pack size.
I am as it is one of the most important changes.

Seriously, feel free to demonstrate otherwise. I am learning.
See the EPA links above in my earlier post (iaspub lookup is the Google search). If you look at discharge event energy in the colorful table in the Performance docs, you’ll see the difference.

If you look at the vehicle comparison snapshot, you can see from efficiency and range that the capacity also increased (but I would not rely on this and instead rely on the official documents which clearly call out capacity).
They haven't changed since inception, AFAIK,
This is incorrect. They changed from 77.8kWh to 82.1kWh (nominal - actually closer to 81kWh) starting on the 2020 to 2021 Performance model year transition. LR AWD was probably more complicated, likely changing (but not guaranteed!) before the model year transition.

All of these include buffer, so actual usable capacity is 95.5% of these values. The EPA test that Tesla performs (not the EPA usually!) consumes this entire buffer so gives the capacity including the buffer.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
How in the heII can AlanSubie4Life disagree with davidski's factual statement that Tesla releases updates throughout the year rather than doing them once a year? Is this a personal grudge of some kind where he thumbs downs every post from davidski? If so, it probably qualifies as harassment.

Keith
AlanSubie4Life is definitely a bit weird. He's gone through a bunch of my posts before and marked them as "funny"

I've never even mentioned the dude lol

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I truly enjoy some of these threads, and some folks arguing about things that none of us are 100% sure of.

I'm making more popcorn 🍿😂
It is weird. I just stick to the hard facts. That’s why I post the data.

Tesla makes changes through the model year, and have done so for years.

They also have model years, and sometimes these come with substantial changes.

The most recent refresh of the Model S and Model X were not designated as a model year change over, but simply integrated into the production flow as it became available.

Hard to predict when production will switch over to the next model year designation, as Tesla is not consistant in what they do.

Reactions: JDEWD250
I am as it is one of the most important changes.

See the EPA links above in my earlier post (iaspub lookup is the Google search). If you look at discharge event energy in the colorful table in the Performance docs, you’ll see the difference.

If you look at the vehicle comparison snapshot, you can see from efficiency and range that the capacity also increased (but I would not rely on this and instead rely on the official documents which clearly call out capacity).

This is incorrect. They changed from 77.8kWh to 82.1kWh (nominal - actually closer to 81kWh) starting on the 2020 to 2021 Performance model year transition. LR AWD was probably more complicated, likely changing (but not guaranteed!) before the model year transition.

All of these include buffer, so actual usable capacity is 95.5% of these values. The EPA test that Tesla performs (not the EPA usually!) consumes this entire buffer so gives the capacity including the buffer.
OK, thanks for pursuing this with me. I could not find a colorful table in the EPA docs. Maybe I misunderstand.

I did (looking at the EPA docs you kindly linked) for MYLR:

1665416145100.png

and

1665416245649.png

Which suggests to me a battery size change between the submissions for 2021 and 2022. So, I'll grant you that there was a change in battery size.

Nevertheless, it only tells us what the size was when the data was submitted to the EPA, not when they made the transition, which was reported by owners not at the VIN model year transition, but much earlier in 2021.

Also, confirm with me: are you only considering the HV battery changes as significant? We have pointed out several other changes that clearly did not occur at the VIN change.

Again, I suspect I am missing something that you are seeing in your document links, so bear with me.

• Funny
Reactions: JDEWD250
Also, confirm with me: are you only considering the HV battery changes as significant? We have pointed out several other changes that clearly did not occur at the VIN change.
Certainly not. But it is definitely a big one if the posts around here are anything to go by. ~2-5% increase!

And I have repeatedly said - Tesla makes many changes not associated with the model year. It happens all the time! That is one of my points!

I could not find a colorful table in the EPA docs. Maybe I misunderstand.
Just scroll through in the Performance (not LR AWD) docs for the page that looks different and has a bunch of numbers that clearly came from an Excel spreadsheet. That’s the place where it shows discharge event energy. Not looking up the page number for you here - it is readily found in the links. If you still can’t see it I will look it up for you.

This was 2170 to 2170L transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
please speak up with data.

Even if it did, things like the and megacasting are actually bigger changes and they didn’t. There have been 20-some changes to the MY in 2 years. Just the sheer number of them means some will occur at the hypothetical model year transition. That‘s just statistics, not proof of a model year philosophy.
Yep there are so many spec changes (often with staggered introductions across factories) I don't think it is worth the effort trying to correlate them to specific Model Years. There is never a definitive Model Year spec anyway. Likewise it's a waste of time speculating on 2023 "Model Year" changes. The actual timing of any spec changes will be influenced largely by supply logistics, not some arbitrary Model Year.

If the stat nerds say most changes have historically occurred in Q4 then maybe that trend will continue. In which case hold off for a couple of months and see what happens for the 2023 transition. But I would only do that if I wasn't in a hurry or was aware of some major upgrade.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Certainly not. But it is definitely a big one if the posts around here are anything to go by. ~2-5% increase!

And I have repeatedly said - Tesla makes many changes not associated with the model year. It happens all the time! That is one of my points!

Just scroll through in the Performance (not LR AWD) docs for the page that looks different and has a bunch of numbers that clearly came from an Excel spreadsheet. That’s the place where it shows discharge event energy. Not looking up the page number for you here - it is readily found in the links. If you still can’t see it I will look it up for you.

This was 2170 to 2170L transition.
So you pick a single change amongst the entire list of 20+ changes, including major structural components and an entirely new battery lack and try to claim that that single change is proof that Tesla adheres to a model year update schedule?

Whatever. There’s no point in arguing with your logic.

and try to claim that that single change is proof that Tesla adheres to a model year update schedule?
Please point to where I argued that.

including major structural components and an entirely new battery pack
Literally the battery pack was the thing I was pointing out. Your phrasing here makes it seem like the battery pack occurred as just an incremental update (which is partially true in some years, and entirely untrue in other years), since you make "a single change" seem distinct from these two specific changes you list.